When it makes sense to use the Peage (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Many travellers, myself included, mostly avoid using peage roads unless we just want to eat up the miles quickly.
However, there are times when, for a few Euros, it really makes sense to hop onto one to avoid some place or some bottleneck etc.
I would imagine most seasoned travellers of La France have such places in their little black books.
Care to share them?

Here's my contribution and probably the first one many travellers would encounter:

When arriving at Dunkerque or Calais and turning right along the A16 and heading beyond the horizon, you will be faced with a Peage warning sign when approaching J29. Don't turn off, stay on the A16, take a ticket at the booth and enjoy the view from the Viaduc de Quehen looking down into the valley where you would have had to drive had you turned off. (A rather tortuous downhill ride and then up again the other side.)
If you want to, you can then come off at the next junction (J28) after paying, I think €1.10 last time I used it.
And of course, the same on the homeward journey.

Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
Having stayed in Toulouse at the Le Rupé campground (v. good btw) we were heading north-east. It looked simple to avoid the peage using the D888. It was not a good idea. If we go that way again, we would certainly choose to use the peage route. A61 and A68.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Haven't tried it in the 'van but when we were tuggers I avoided Poitiers on the N10 (D910) by using the A10.

I once checked and we got no more than 10mpg by driving through the city.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
When arriving at Dunkerque or Calais and turning right along the A16 and heading beyond the horizon, you will be faced with a Peage warning sign when approaching J29. Don't turn off, stay on the A16, take a ticket at the booth and enjoy the view from the Viaduc de Quehen looking down into the valley where you would have had to drive had you turned off. (A rather tortuous downhill ride and then up again the other side.)
If you want to, you can then come off at the next junction (J28) after paying, I think €1.10 last time I used it.
And of course, the same on the homeward journey.

We invariably us the péage between Boulogne and Abbeville and then drop on to the A28, which is free. For the cost of 12€ we think the saving in fuel plus time is worth it. There are so many roundabouts on the alternative route (N2 and the other roads)

J

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We invariably us the péage between Boulogne and Abbeville and then drop on to the A28, which is free. For the cost of 12€ we think the saving in fuel plus time is worth it. There are so many roundabouts on the alternative route (N2 and the other roads)

J
We do likewise and frequently use the Baie de Somme motorway aire to stopover. It's a lovely spot and easily justifies the €12 motorway toll.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.1...4!1slnq1G0Bxs3djCAKbVQJvzw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
We wished we had stopped on tolls during our treck via France recently, when i finally decided to allow tolls to navigate me via the sat nav we were on for about 300km and i was expecting to pay at least e70 so i was pleasantly surprised when we had to get off an it only cost e41.. A damn bargain if you ask me.. Plus the services on the tolls are nicer and plenty more of them too, your never far away from somewhere where you can take a nap or do a bite to eat or just have a chill.. Whatever floats your boat but me personally think they're good value especially for saving time.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The mother and father of a time saver, nerves saver, traffic light and ronde punt saver is the A63 around Bayonne, Biarritz et al all the way to the Spanish border.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
The only peage section we always avoid is the Millau viaduct, much better view from the valley and Millau is a nice little town for a nights stay.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
A section from aboutfrance.com
► Option minimal tolls
Paying a few euros in tolls on a 1000 km journey pays for itself in time saved and less stress. This route offers the best balance between speed and toll costs for driving from Calais to the Spanish border at Irun, near Bayonne.

About-France.com recommended toll-saving route: Calais > Abbeville > Rouen > Chartres > Tours > Poitiers > Angoulême > Bordeaux.

The tolls that are worth paying:
Calais to Abbeville on A16 : 8 Euros
South exit from Rouen on A 13 > A154 : 2.10 Euros
Motorway round Tours: 1.80 Euros ( 2 x 0.90 Euros)
The A63 - the tolled motorways south of Bordeaux avoiding the long built-up area around Bayonne and Biarritz. Cost 14.40 Euros (see A63)
Total recommended tolls (2016 ): about 28 Euros for a car, or about 40 €uros for a normal motorhome, RV or camping car.
Time saved by paying tolls: about 2 hours.

Route guide:

Leave Calais on the A16 / E402 motorway following signs for Boulogne, Amiens. The toll section starts just before Boulogne.
Just before Abbeville, take the free A28 / E402 motorway to Rouen.

Entering Rouen the A28 becomes the N28. Follow on down through the tunnel, then across the Seine.

After that, follow signs for Paris and Evreux then Evreux &Orleans . You will join the A13 motorway west of Rouen.
About 10 km south or Rouen, leave the A13 motorway for theA154 motorway. Toll gate at the intersection.
Then follow the A154 > N154 dual carriageway almost toDreux.At Dreux, follow signs for Chartres and Orleans.
After Dreux, the N154 is almost all modern dual-carriageway as far as Chartres.
From Chartres follow the N 10 to Chateaudun, Vendôme and Tours. This is mostly single carriageway for 130 km, but there are sections of dual carriageway, notably round Vendôme. Before reaching Tours, the N10 becomes the D 910.
On approaching Tours, follow signs for the A10 motorway, and join it at junction 19. Skirt round Tours on the toll motorway, then exit at junction 23, following the sign for D910to Montbazon
Follow the D 910 all the way to Poitiers, skirting round the city. After Poitiers, the D910 once more turns into the N 10 , which you now follow almost as far as Bordeaux. It is dual carriageway virtually all the way. Join the free A10 / E5 motorway shortly before Bordeaux, then follow signs for Bayonne.

The A63 south of Bordeaux
South of Bordeaux, follow the A63 toll motorway as far as the the Spanish border. The cost (Jan 2016 ) is 14.40€ for a car, about 50% more for a car plus caravan; but this will save about an hour in normal traffic conditions. The last 50 km of this toll motorway, southwest of Magescq (exit 11) , are particularly recommended, as the Bayonne area is built-up and busy. The A63 links directly at the border to Spain's Autopista A-8, and thereafter to the Spanish motorway network..
Note however that this motorway is not pay-on-exit; it is pay-at-toll-points, of which there are four. The two most northerly of these can be avoided by leaving the motorway between exits 18 and 17, and again between exits 12 and 11. Time lost: about a quarter of an hour. Tolls saved: 3.50 Euros saved twice (more than that if you have a camper van). This is not recommended for trucks, as they have to follow a longer alternative route.
To avoid tolls (southbound) :
Leave A63 at exit 18 "Le Muret". Turn south on D834 to Castelnau. Here turn right onto D410, then D10E which runs along the eastern side of the motorway. Rejoin motorway at Liposthey (exit 17).
At exit 12, follow D947 for 1 km towards Castets. Then left onto D378. When this starts running along the western side of the motorway, fork left onto D10E. Rejoin the motorway at Magesq (exit 11).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back