Ist timers to Scotland (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Plus s 670SLT
Exp
Since 2014
We are taking our first trip to Scotland, leaving from the Essex on Wednesday. We are heading for the west coast and hope to take in some Islands, we have given ourselves 4 weeks for a unrushed trip.

We are aware of the possibility of wild camping and members of CC&C & CC.

I have looked through previous threads, and copied some information; but still don't have a clear view how best to approach this trip.

Can I ask for some help from you good folk. Can the trip be done without the need to book in advance for CL’s or camp site? Is there a good start point on the west coast? Which islands would you suggest to visit, and how easy is it getting ferries? Do you have any recommendation as to places to visit and camp sites? Is it best to take 2 weeks going north and then come back down to west coast visiting other places, or are there alternative routes back down heading homeward?

I know I’m asking a lot, but would welcome any help on any of the questions; plus any other comments you feel may help.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
4 weeks is good but there would still be plenty to do without taking in islands..
If it's just the classic Highland scenery you are looking for then up to Glasgow and north as quick as you can via loch lomond area.. but sw Scotland and the mull have many attractions without the Highland scenery.
Easy islands without extended ferry trips would be mull.. sky via bridge.
It really depends on the distance you want to drive each day or whether you are happy stopping off places on route for a couple nights..
So many lovely spots up the west coast.
Arisaig, applecross,and the drive round to torrindon
Areas around melvaig,Achiltibuie, Kinlochbervie. ...etc
Stick to the coast for first trip and you won't go far wrong..
If you make Dunnet head area and John o groats with time to spare head straight down to the moray coast which I think is lovely from Inverness out to Fraserburgh. ..
Hope the sun shines for you and you have a great trip...
Andy

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Hi @Coopit from a fellow Essex resident

We have done scotland twice in april-may and never booked anything apart from rosemarkie C&CC site as it was bank holiday weekend.
We tended to ring ahead on the day we wanted to stay just to check there would be space amd there always was.

We did a lot of wild camping too but always considerate and never on what looked like someones private land. That said we found a few useful entrances to logging tracks that were out of use at the time.

I would expect going in september you wont find it much busier than we found May so you should be ok.
We did 4 weeks last time mainland only and still Failed to do it all. We will make a trip up again to do the south west in more detail.
The first time we went we only had two weeks in a hired motorhome and so we did book ferries. We neednt have worried. It was so easy to change ferry times when we arrived too early and at no extra charge.
Do watch out though. Some of the ferries like to reverse you on.
Also the ferry to Jura from Islay is not suitable for MOHOs with long overhangs so we had to ditch that from our plan. Thankfully we hadnt booked and paid ahead for that crossing.
Islay is wonderful if you're a scotch fan. We wildcamped overlooking beach fery near Bruichladdich distillery. Not a cheap or short crossing but the island is worth a visit.
If you have a dog(s) Calmac allow you to take them up on deck with you to designated areas. A plus for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
In addition...
Sites i would recommend Loch ness shores - fab walk to foyers falls, lovely views & lovely shower block
Rosemarkie on black isle if you can get front row overlooking beach but dont walk into town its not worth it. From the site you can walk up to channory point to watch the dolphins rather than struggling to drive and park MOHO

We also liked the C&cc site at Loch Lomond Milarrochy Bay . Walkable down to ferry accross the Loch and nice pub in the village. Plus you are right on the West Highland Bay.
Most of the C&CC sites in scotland have proper MH service points and for a small charge you can use all theri facilities (but not electric) for just a few hours. So great if you are wild camping and need to refresh and empty....

Such a wonderful place. Feel like packing up now and heading North. Enjoy and hope the weather is kind to you.

John &Catherine

Ps the East Neuk villages are attractive too. Like cornish coastal villages.
So much to see and do you will love it. If you are a britstops member theres a good one in Lossiemouth. Bit cold and windy when we were there but great location to wake up in.
Braemar camp site well located too with easy walk into town.
Wildcamping opportunities abound.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
A couple of west coast campsites:
Clachtoll is heaven on earth.
Scourie has wonderful views, seabirds & sunsets though a touch weird (but we do return there so it can't be TOO weird!)

If you can do medium-difficult uphill walks, brave the single-track road to the carpark at the bottom of Stac Pollaidh & make the climb - the most wonderful views from the top (or even half-way up) if the clouds aren't in the way.

Don't forget: there will be lots of single-track roads, but they DO have well-sited passing-places. Check out this video and Funsters' comments:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If you like cycling then try the Isle of Cumbria. Country western weekend on there next weekend too.

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks very much for the helpful replies. Now need to put all the info together, still need an idea of where to start.

Phil

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We actually did a three week coastal tour starting at Berwick on Tweed in the East up the East coast along the top(Dunnet Bay lovely site) then back down the West side from Loch Eriboll ending at New England CC site in Galloway and Dumfries been back three times following up places we scouted on original tour and will be returning. Love the place(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Arran was our favourite they say it is scotland in minature all the bits on one island you can get a ferry there then drive to the other side a short ferry to the campbeltown peninsula so back on the mainland lots of places to park overnight on the west side and don't forget to visit the distillery!!!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Why not start by turning left at Gretna and traveling through Dumfries and Galloway, it's really nice here.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
(y)
Thanks very much for the helpful replies. Now need to put all the info together, still need an idea of where to start.

Phil
I would keep it fluid. Look at the weather forecast and follow the best weather where possible. Thats the beauty of your MOhO and travelling off peak. You can keep changing the plan eithout needing to prebook sites and with some wildcamping thrown in

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Okay, may be a bit late buy booked an overnight stop just pass Scotch Corner for tomorrow, and book a crossing to Arron for Thursday afternoon. The rest will free flow. Looks like the west side is good for wild camping, so will go and have a look. We just need a break for a while and Scotland hopefully will do it. We very sadly lost our son 8 weeks ago in a car crash, he was coming up to his 21st. He was our foster son, but stayed with us. He had been on many holidays with us, and loved seeing new places. This is one place we had not been with him. We used to also tour on our motorbikes. Not sure why I sprung this on you, but was just thinking how much he would have enjoyed it; as we often spoke of touring Scotland in the MoHo or motorbikes. Sorry, but it just flowed out.

Phil.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Sorry, but it just flowed out.

Your amongst friends here. Baring your soul steers you away from any problems of bottling things up Use your eyes for him & he'll be right there enjoying the holiday. Hope Scotland is all that you hope it is. My old bedroom window looked over to Arran & Goat Fell mountain in particular. Its a very special place. If you seek solice whilst there, try "The Holy Isle" just off the coast at Lamlash, its a buddist temple & they warmly welcome visitors. Please enjoy your trip.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Not sure why I sprung this on you, but was just thinking how much he would have enjoyed it; as we often spoke of touring Scotland in the MoHo or motorbikes. Sorry, but it just flowed out
You don't need to apologise for sharing your pain, you don't get over it, you just learn how to live with it.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
No wonder you are not sure of what you were doing , please accept my condolences, you must be still in shock at the suddenness of it and trying to make sense of things that don't make any sense. Scotland is a wonderful place for peace and beautiful scenery, we loved the Kintyre peninsula but then again we enjoyed Skye, that is the beauty of Scotland there are so many beautiful places to explore. Arron sounds like a good place to start would love to know how you find it we have not done any of the Islands.
Be prepared that the midges can still be about so have your sprays etc with you, the marvellous thing about our motorhomes is the freedom to explore and Scotland is made for exploring.
If you get internet while you are away ask questions as you go along with fun your with friends that's what it's about.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So sorry to hear of your loss. What a very sad time for you. Getting away up in those hills may give some solace . Thoughts are with you and your family.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I was just reading through your post and wondering if I could add anything from our travels around beautiful Scotland and then suddenly the bombshell of your very sad and recent loss. I can think of no better place for you to go. You have received some excellent travel ideas and I cannot think to add anything except to simply take each day as it comes. Have a lovely time.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I just looked in to see how your thread was going for advice on your scotland trip and read your post..
My condolences at this sad time,and hope that where ever your trip takes you it helps you through the grief you feel..
Andy.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
So desperately sad to hear of the loss of your son. My thoughts are with you as you try to make some sense of it all. I find the West Coast a good place to reflect; I hope you do too.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Be prepared for road works & delays just before Scotch Corner. There are overnight closures which you'll probably avoid, but there are narrow lanes & 50 mph restrictions 24/7 (lucky if you manage 50 in some places).

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I'm not sure why it flowed out, but we are not sure about a lot of things. He came to us when he was 7, we all bonded instantly, and we became his mum and dad. He was the kindest of souls with a heart of gold. We take him every where, my sister made two beautiful quilts out of his clothes that are on our beds in the MoHo.

We leave soon, I will try to give an update on our travels, but we don't have any plans other than starting on Arron and going north. We are just know he would want us to get away and explore in our MoHo.

Thanks again for your understanding.

Phil..

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Sorry to hear about your son. I hope you find some peace and solace up here. Arran is lovely and is known as Scotland in minature. I love west coast either south from Oban or north above Lochinver. Quilts made from your son's clothes so he's always with you is so touching. Please enjoy our wonderful country, I'm leaving it soon but will probably be up here every couple of weeks to wean me off slowly.

OP
OP
C
Jul 29, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2014
Thank you for all your kind words.

We have been here for nine day's, what a wonderful part of the world. We are finding it very peaceful, and some how helping us through. We keep saying how much he would have loved this trip, and we miss him so much.

We started on Arron, then Kintyer following the Crinna canal, along west coast, on to Mull, up to Ardnamurchan Point along Loch Sunart, fort William now at Glen Ness. Was going to Skye tomorrow but they expect strong winds, so now moving on the Loch Ness. We have had a fair bit of wind and rain, that why we are heading inland for a few days.

If anyone has suggestions on places to visit now we have changed direction, please chip in.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Take shelter, then hopefully head north again, the north western highlands are a real treasure, and if you still have time left a few days on Harris could be just the tonic you need.

I lost my brother at 21, left a huge hole in my life, but I sometimes now feel we share some time together, when away especially :)

IMG_0986 (3).JPG

If you do head back north, Falls of Shin south of Lairg, a special moment watching salmon leaping or trying to leap the falls

IMG_1093.JPG

Sunset on Harris

IMG_1039.JPG

a good example of why you should avoid the winds :)

IMG_1118.JPG

Hushinish beach Harris

All taken in last 10 days (y)

Look after each other, its a long road ahead

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi hope your enjoying the scenery and the friendliness of the locals , if your heading up the west coast poolewe site is just beautiful fantastic sunsets and inverue gardens next to the site amazing plants , achmelvic campsite is a great wee gem as well the clear water and white sand beach you would think you were in the med, and as your on the coast the midges aren't so bad always a wee breeze keeps the wee beggars at bay , west coast is best by far enjoy our scenery

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back