Damn....it was all my fault... (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Our third trip in our new Motorhome.

Lovely site, sun shining, - lets get the awning out. All sorted, time for tea cake and then a long walk with the dog.

Whilst out the weather took a nasty turn - torrential rain, thunder lightning etc, took about 90 mins to get back to the site ( almost carried a frightened dog..)

Aargh..collapsed awning.....weight of water because me the idiot had put it up too high and the water couldn't run off.

Now this is our second van and as the Beauty Terrorist commented,,,"but you are always so careful to make sure there is sufficient off and it is tied down etc etc". Aargh!!!

So why wasn't I as careful this time....because I am a muppet...

Net result is both arms need replacing as the have sheared off. Fabric is not damaged. Found a Fiamma video on how to change them. I have learnt an expensive lesson ...£300 worth, however at least the sides of the van and other parts of the awning were not damaged.

What an idiot..

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You won't be the first or the last,but no solace I know ..not worth claiming on your insurance as it will affect your no claims and that in the long run works out the more expensive way of repairing it.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
We went out for the day in Stuttgart last week, beautiful sunny day, no rain forecast, as it had been all week. Very hot, not a breath of wind, so van left with rooflights fully open, awning rolled out, suitably tied down.

Anyway, come the afternoon when we're heading back to the van - still about half an hour away - there is the most torrential downpour for about 20 minutes, a real cloud burst. Caught everyone by surprise, lots of soaked commuters with no coats on the public transport.

Got back to the van and found some kind soul had dropped one side of the awning down a long way so all the water would drain off - I'd left it down a little, but not enough. No idea who, but lots of MH on the site so thank you whoever it was! Luckily inside the van wasn't too bad, a duvet sat on one of the beds copped the worst amount of water but kept the mattress underneath dry - an hour in the campsite tumble dryer and the duvet was fine.

Lesson learnt for the future! I wouldn't normally even leave the awning out. And always shut the rooflights at least part way!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Our third trip in our new Motorhome.

Lovely site, sun shining, - lets get the awning out. All sorted, time for tea cake and then a long walk with the dog.

Whilst out the weather took a nasty turn - torrential rain, thunder lightning etc, took about 90 mins to get back to the site ( almost carried a frightened dog..)

Aargh..collapsed awning.....weight of water because me the idiot had put it up too high and the water couldn't run off.

Now this is our second van and as the Beauty Terrorist commented,,,"but you are always so careful to make sure there is sufficient off and it is tied down etc etc". Aargh!!!

So why wasn't I as careful this time....because I am a muppet...

Net result is both arms need replacing as the have sheared off. Fabric is not damaged. Found a Fiamma video on how to change them. I have learnt an expensive lesson ...£300 worth, however at least the sides of the van and other parts of the awning were not damaged.

What an idiot..
No way you could blame the wife then

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back