First trip to Spain but not good with hights. Bit embarrassed! (1 Viewer)

MarshandLiz

Free Member
Jun 24, 2016
Newtonhill
Funster No
MH
Chanson Welcome 76
Exp
Almost a year
Hi guys,

Don't mean to sound pathetic but I struggle with heights and we really want to visit Spain in December are there any roads I should avoid (too high) or any you would recommend.

I look forward to hearing from you to start our new adventure.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi guys,

Don't mean to sound pathetic but I struggle with heights and we really want to visit Spain in December are there any roads I should avoid (too high) or any you would recommend.

Where are you planning to visit in Spain and what is the max height that you can cope with?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You don't want to travel via Millau then that's very high!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
unless you just stay by the coast all interiour spain is high . madrid is the highest capital in eu. just about all inland is very close to being higher than ben nevis .

OP
OP
M

MarshandLiz

Free Member
Jun 24, 2016
Newtonhill
Funster No
MH
Chanson Welcome 76
Exp
Almost a year
Thanks for your replies.

We were planning to visit Madrid as we didn't want to go too far on our first away adventure and as we are leaving from NE Scotland Madrid is a good distance.

I had no idea Madrid was so high but I suppose it depends how we get there. Hopefully, no narrow mountain roads with long drops.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hi guys,

Nothing pathetic about it, but wondered if you have tried hypnotherapy. worked wonders for me. Have the occcassional 'wobble' still but now can travel without so many detours. Find also that the drops, bridges and narrow roads bother me less when I am driving.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Thanks for your replies.

We were planning to visit Madrid as we didn't want to go too far on our first away adventure and as we are leaving from NE Scotland Madrid is a good distance.

I had no idea Madrid was so high but I suppose it depends how we get there. Hopefully, no narrow mountain roads with long drops.
in truth you leave the coast and up you go.
for many the scenery is fantastic .
once inland its flat but just high.
there are mountains etc but you can miss most of them .
many will say the plains in spain are boring , it can be if you stay on main roads .
but really its full of adventures .
at times you could think you are in scotland . there are gorse bushes and fir trees but if you stop look at them they arent the same as in scotland . nor cornwall where i live .
my mate is from fort william so he is always aware of the heights.
but you travel for miles and its amazing , the scenery and the distances you can see is mind blowing .
madrid is ok . very busy . but stop at a tourist bord office and you can get good street maps etc , usually free .
have fun . i,m sure you will be amazed .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi guys,

Don't mean to sound pathetic but I struggle with heights and we really want to visit Spain in December are there any roads I should avoid (too high)

You need to reconsider. The Netherlands is for you.

Spain is mountain after mountain as you travel south, it's fantastic. You stagger to the top of a mountain and there is a great big plain in front of you and in the distance your next mountain range.

As others have said, the coast road is flat but you do have to get there. To do that you have to pass the Pyrenees.

OP
OP
M

MarshandLiz

Free Member
Jun 24, 2016
Newtonhill
Funster No
MH
Chanson Welcome 76
Exp
Almost a year
Thank you so much for your advice.

I have attended one session of Hypnotherapy and have two to go so fingers crossed all will be good and I will conquer all but just in case I wanted to know I can take my beautiful lady on the trip she deserves.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
No Problem! Use this link for France. http://about-france.com/routes-from-calais.htm

(This assumes you want to travel down the Atlantic side of France which will be snow free in December and with no major hills to climb).

I recommend using the partial toll option down to Bordouex. South of Bordouex (A63) exit at Jct 18 rejoin at 17. exit again at 12 rejoin at 8 and pay the last 3 toll booths before crossing into Spain, about 8 euros in total.

You have not given a destination in Spain so I will go no further but you may want to look at this link for your route options.
http://about-spain.net/travel/map.htm
Safe Travels

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just saying...Spain is the second country with most mountains, in Europe, after Switzerland and not many people know that!

Yes that maybe so, but unless you stick to the coast you are unlikely to be on roads where a fear of heights becomes a problem. I would avoid trying to "cross" the Pyrenees; in this instance I would go round the western edge, Biarritz etc. The autoroute/autovia does go through some mountain passes but the roads are wide and open so you should have no problems.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
You might need some kind of therapy after you have experienced the Madrid city traffic!!
Joking aside ,it might be a more enjoyable visit if you could find a "campsite",well out of town and travel in by bus or train?
Just a thought,and I admit I have very bad memory's of the place. --including having to stop on a high level roundabout,
Because there was smoke coming out of the dashboard,it was Christmas day and the traffic was "light".
Enjoy your trip,apart from moaning about the traffic,it is an amazing place.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Madrid is interesting but it will be cold in December. I would suggest 3 days there and then head west to Portuagal or south / east to get some winter sunshine. You can avoid narrow roads but can't always avoid roads with long drops - but you can avoid looking at the drops :)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
You need to reconsider. The Netherlands is for you.

Spain is mountain after mountain as you travel south, it's fantastic. You stagger to the top of a mountain and there is a great big plain in front of you and in the distance your next mountain range.

As others have said, the coast road is flat but you do have to get there. To do that you have to pass the Pyrenees.
could take ferry to santander then just drift along the coast.
i find cantarbria and asturia the best part of spain . i could almost live there . galicia is nice but does get a bit up and down plus more ship wreck type coves etc .
or head the other way but i dont like that as nice as getting off ferry and turning right and follow the sea .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as others have said december can be cold . when my kids were growing up we spent many decembers and january,s along that north area of spain . it can be ok on the coast . but thick jumpers etc are what you need . was warm enough to go surfing . but not hot . some lovely village places nice bars and very friendly people .

OP
OP
M

MarshandLiz

Free Member
Jun 24, 2016
Newtonhill
Funster No
MH
Chanson Welcome 76
Exp
Almost a year
Thank you again for your replies they are all inspiring and I will start by wearing two pair of socks just to get used to being higher off terra firma. Last question, would it be easier to drive from Santander to Barcelona avoiding Madrid for our first trip.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think i would miss barcelona . thats another busy place . better to just drop a bit below near sitges then follow the coast.
mind i like the valencia region sagunta etc . or higher up torre nostra . penisclola . i like torre de sal but not in the campsites .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
spain really is enormous and can be so varied .
inland the history is every where .
we very often follow routes donquiote took in the books . or follow ernest hemmingways routes from years ago.
also visit places in the sharpes books .
every village seems to have a story to tell.
when i was a child my dad showed me a map of spanish roads north to south there was really only 5 main roads . he said wonder if we can find 50. now i,m still trying to find a different route every year .
have driven trucks for a living across spain . its hard to find new ones sometimes as you come across an old one and know its fantastic and lose your new road .
is life long enough to see all the roads .

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MarshandLiz

Free Member
Jun 24, 2016
Newtonhill
Funster No
MH
Chanson Welcome 76
Exp
Almost a year
Vwlan, the thought of travelling every road across Spain both excites and terrifies me at the same time. Hopefully I can do the country justice n the short time we are there.

Mattyjwr, we are there for three weeks from the middle of December. We love seeing new places and making new friends and I hope I don't ruin our adventure by not being able to drive certain routes.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you cross into Spain at Irun then turn left at San Sebastian and go south past Pamplona, Zaragoza and then down to Valencia I am fairly sure from memory there aren't any huge drops. The are a few bridges but nothing really high, such as you get along the north coast if you go further west from San Sebastian. You can go south along the coast from Valencia and it is all very flat for quite a way.

Using Google street view it should be possible to check the route, looking at the map first for places like bridges over rivers then zooming in and dropping the little Google Man on the map to see what it looks like.

OP
OP
M

MarshandLiz

Free Member
Jun 24, 2016
Newtonhill
Funster No
MH
Chanson Welcome 76
Exp
Almost a year
Thanks DBK, we are planning on taking the ferry to Santander so if we turn left would it be advisable to go via Bilbao or carry on to San Sebastian and then take your suggested route to Valencia.

I will also have a look at Google street view to see what joys await me.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your advice.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks DBK, we are planning on taking the ferry to Santander so if we turn left would it be advisable to go via Bilbao or carry on to San Sebastian and then take your suggested route to Valencia.

I will also have a look at Google street view to see what joys await me.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your advice.
Give me a little time to have a think, there is at least one very high viaduct east of Santander. I just need to remember where it is!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
if heading to valencia and near daroca go to laguna de gallocanta . in december there should be thousands of cranes there . its famous . parking by the information center . have been there when 30,000 birds on the lake . but it does get to 50,000 sometimes .
shame about the hieght thing as i would say head for burgos , its steep not frightening . fantastic distance views but might be too much for you .
burgos then head for soria . and stop at canyon de ria lobos . another fantastic place . vultures flying around . its amazing .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
leave the port and follow signs to burgos N623 i,m sure you will cope . blame me if you dont.
just after burgos turn left on the N234 later a right turn at st leonardo de yague S934 . go on its worth it .

Last edited:

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
leave the port and follow signs to burgos N623 i,m sure you will cope . blame me if you dont.
just after burgos turn left on the N234 later a right turn at st leonardo de yague S960 . go on its worh it .

If the OP is happy to drive down the switchbacks to go to the Cañon!!!

IMG_20160630_112946944.jpg

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hardly any on the SO 934 i put 960 but meant 934 park in the big carpark and walk by the river down through the canyon .
one day i might make it right through but i do struggle walking .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back