Ducato long arm mirror folds in on M/way (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi
Has anyone had any experiences of thei Ducato long arm mirrors folding inwards when on the motorway or driving into a head-wind?

If so, what was the fix?
Was it an easy job?

Looking at the mirror arms, they may have plastic trim which at some point can be prized off? - is it a case of taking this off and then just tightening the fixing bolts?

Any ideas as I can't be winding the window down whilst driving to push the arm out every time it happens.
Cheers!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes ... ours is a Peugeot (2010) but the same as Fiat.
My driver's mirror used to fold in above about 55mph .... it was still under warranty at the time and the dealer said there was no adjustment (which I find hard to believe) so they replaced the whole unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I'm also interested in any answers to this as I had this happen to me for the first time last weekend driving down from the Lakes. The weather was pretty bad with very high winds and I think a combination of these plus motorway speeds overcame the tension in the arm.

From a bit of digging on the internet the general view seems to be that they aren't repairable and Fiat recommend complete replacement, they would say that though :whistle:. As a temporary repair I've pushed a small piece of rubber between the mirror arm and the plastic door bracket and this has done the trick for now but a permanent repair would be better. It would be nice to see how the arm hinge is tensioned, as if there is a bolt or nut that can be tightened up from underneath then it would be worth the risk trying to remove the lower cover.

Watching with interest...

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Yes ... ours is a Peugeot (2010) but the same as Fiat.
My driver's mirror used to fold in above about 55mph .... it was still under warranty at the time and the dealer said there was no adjustment (which I find hard to believe) so they replaced the whole unit.

I've had the same problem, they are not adjustable, & there is nothing to tighten on the pivot.
I did eventually manage to get the covers off the arm but the the pivot is just spring loaded & held together with a "star washer" type retainer(can't remember the proper name for them).

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I've had the same problem, they are not adjustable, & there is nothing to tighten on the pivot.
I did eventually manage to get the covers off the arm but the the pivot is just spring loaded & held together with a "star washer" type retainer(can't remember the proper name for them).
Hmmm, that's annoying. Did you manage to remove the arm covers without destroying them, any tips?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last van had the long arm mirrors they never folded in but they always moved a bit, and it is correct there is no adjustment only remedy is replacement & the replacements could be just as bad. When designed I doubt if extra long arms for wide Motorhomes was ever considered.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I've just asked the dealer that I bought it from in January, what the fix is and if it's covered under their premium warranty which I paid extra for. Will advise as/when they reply.
I'll be pi**ed off if not as its only the second trip out!

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Happened to me also. I temporarily solved it on the way home by cutting a wedge out of a wine bottle cork, and taping it in. That, of course meant drinking the wine (the night before I might add). To be more helpful, I sourced a genuine replacement from an eBay seller - wingmirrorsrus1. About £175, but still much, much cheaper than a Fiat Dealer. Fairly easy to fit.

Oh, and I can confirm, they aren't adjustable.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Yes our drivers side mirror was pushed back by wind.

Discovered while away in France. used string to hold in place for journey back.

Took it to Ford & Slater and it was replaced in it's entirety under warranty.

Under the removable panel at the bottom is a star clip (I don't know the right word) something pushed over a shaft that then grab and stops it from being removed. So i don't think you can get in that way.

If it's not under warranty you could try introducing something between the hinge points (dental flos perhaps?) until the gap is filled and gains a little more friction?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
of course you could try knocking the "star washer" further onto the shaft with a suitable sized socket.

It might work

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Alpha dealer parts has both in stock at £169 delivered.
Broken Link Removed
You need to check whether yours have temperature sensor or radio aerial within

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Hmmm, that's annoying. Did you manage to remove the arm covers without destroying them, any tips?
No, they clip into each other, after I discovered I could not solve the problem I superglued the cover back together.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Alpha dealer parts has both in stock at £169 delivered.
Broken Link Removed
You need to check whether yours have temperature sensor or radio aerial within
You are always good at finding a deal - well done!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No it's not missing you are looking at a reflection in the glass.
EDIT and now you've edited your post mine makes no sense.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Yes I edited the post!

What no glass? How's that?

Last edited:

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Lots of information from everyone, thanks. I want to avoid buying a new one so will investigate this star washer otherwise my bit of rubber will be staying for now as it's virtually invisible.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Remove star washer, add a small plain washer to top of sprig then re fit star washer the more plain or thicker washers you add the harder it will be to replace the star washer ergo more tension on mirror body
G

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I ended up buying a new mirror.
Bought the van from a dealer in Notts (.tree) who I told of the problem after arriving home, who fobbed me off, who I called again after my next trip, who fobbed me off, who I then asked to go halves, who never replied. Until, they phoned me to remind me that my annual service, MOT and Hab service was due! Did I enjoy telling them where to shove it. So much so their director called - the same director who never replied to any calls or emails prior, so he got both barrels too.
As for the mirror, bought and fit myself and with savings made from using elsewhere for annual service, MOT's and Hab services I've just put it down to experience. Experience of never to use or recommend that dealership again.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
seems are loads off googling last night this seems to be the case , as mine is one of the ones where there is a Star clip holding it together when you remove the bottom cover , and no tension bolt.
Remove star washer, add a small plain washer to top of sprig then re fit star washer the more plain or thicker washers you add the harder it will be to replace the star washer ergo more tension on mirror body
G
Can the star washer be reused or must a new 1 the same size be sourced

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
ye

Yes it can be re used depending on your skill in removing it
Bucher it and a new one is required the pin should have a grove of sorts in it if so a C clip can be used instead
Star clips are only used to aid the silly robot who bulds them cos he cant get his head around the complex moves required to use a C clip

G

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I'm wondering if some sort of stay arrangement could be fixed up to stop the mirror collapsing back against the bodywork if you don't have a warranty to claim on to get new mirrors. You could use a sticky double sided pad on the bodywork or quarter light to support your stay.

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
I've still got a bit of rubber wedged in mine and it's still holding firm at motorway speeds :LOL:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
ive just tried a small piece of plastic folded over and roughened it up with sand paper , ill wee how it goes.. had another look at the star clip and think mine aint to bad atm,, so will not perform major heart surgery yet :D

sennen523

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Rhos-on-Sea, Conwy, North
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt.
Exp
Started 2007.
Hello All,
My previous van on a Fiat X250 had this problem on the nearside mirror. Fiat replaced the whole unit under warranty.

sennen523.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hello All,
My previous van on a Fiat X250 had this problem on the nearside mirror. Fiat replaced the whole unit under warranty.

sennen523.
how long did you have the van after the mirror was replace, and did the new replacement work as it should and not move ^^ ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back