Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
autotrail t615
Filling water tank
I've always fitted a 2 pin water pump socket in the side of previous vans to take submersible pump,and carry a huge,well large Aqua roll ,
This time around Ime thinking do I want to bother with all that ?
Maybe a simple hose but if Ime too far from a tap mm!!
Maybe a watering can that would be easy but 20 + trips to te tap mm!!
Is there any other practical way to get water from tap to tank
Ta

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Our Aquarolls went with the Caravan 12 x years ago.

We fill up at home and take it with us, or use a food grade hose on a cassette reel from a tap when needed.

Bulky Aquarolls or watering cans take up so much space. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We always travel full when we leave. If we arrive in site, we fill up before parking. If we runout, we have to move to the tap or replenish as we go by the watering can method. Replenish bit by bit so you don't need to carry out 20 trips. Britstop a are often not handy for water so carry a 10 and 15 metre hose with connecting piece as well. If I cannot reach in 25 metres we move on and fill up elsewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
Yes I agree takes up space but for what ever reason I've never liked to carry maybe 40 ish litres with me re extra weight
Take care
Alonso

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes I agree takes up space but for what ever reason I've never liked to carry maybe 40 ish litres with me re extra weight
Take care
Alonso
Once rolling, the extra weight hardly makes a difference, unless you are close to running overweight. :eek:

The convenience of turning up with a full tank can be very advantageous, especially if it is raining, or there is a queue for the tap. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I like to wild camp a lot, so it's a full tank, plus 2 x 20 litre containers in the back. Put these in as soon as there is space :)

I like to walk back and forth as many times as necessary with one of the containers and look on it as a free form of fitness :)

As @Zigisla said, do it a few trips a day if necessary, so that it's not such a chore for you :)

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
The 20 litre containers you take full or empty & how do you get this in the tank
Sorry if I seem a bit thick ( it's early) ha

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
We travel with half a tank, we use a 10ltr container when on site to top up and fill using similar to this

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We never realised what a problem this is for some folk, as we hit lucky on our first (and only) MH purchase almost 10y ago. Our water tank is under a sofa and has a screw-on lid, as well as the external fill point.

So we travel empty (or 25%ish) and raise it to 50-75% when we get there, depending on our expected duration. We have 2x 5l bottles which I carry to and from the tap, often several times per day but as @Zigisla said, it's free exercise (and an opportunity to meet and chat).

We use the bottles for drinking water and the tank for washing, flushing and cooking. Thus our drinking water is usually quite fresh - Gordon

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
I like the 5 Ltr or maybe there's a 10 Ltr will have a look around it just seems a lot easier than lugging Aqua rolls or hogs ( even lager ) around as I've done in the past
Thanks all Ime won over on a partial fill & some containers easy or what !
Thanks everyone
Al

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I always keep mine topped up, but I am a fulltimer. I fill up every opportunity. When I get to a new pitch I always drive to the tap and fill. I can carry enough water for over a week. If I stay somewhere for 2 weeks I always try to get a pitch within range of my 3 hoses which I can link together, or I will drive to it. If I run out and have 2 days left I will use a watering can to put 4-5 loads in. I have to admit the watering can does use up too much space but it is essential in some places.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Full tank of water, just think of it as an extra person, my mate came down to us a couple of weeks ago with a lot of HiFi stuff in his car for us,he pumped all his tyres up!? I said if you took Mrs D & myself out in the car would you do the same, he just laughed & said no :)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
But...unless you have been on a weigh bridge and know your weight and have plenty to spare isn't it an unnecessary extra to be carrying about? In 6 years I have ever only once been caught out not being able to fill up either at or nearly at our destination...and that was an Aire in France in February.

OP
OP
Alonsos

Alonsos

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Devon Somerset border
Funster No
MH
Auto trail t615
Exp
Since 2008
Yep your right I know that I've never travelled wth water onboard to be honest , I collected the previous van from dealer 200 miles away and discovered I brought it home with ( they filled water tank for handover )water still in it
Mm !!
No will take 10 Litre empty plasi Jerry can with me when go away .
Thanks for your post
Take care
Alon

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We use a watering can. It's quick , convenient, and always works, form a tap, a stream, anywhere.

We just returned from a two night break and before leaving I put 3 x 10 litres of water in the tank using the can. For cooking and drinking, including the dog, we used 7 litres of water from bottles. I just checked the tank and it looks like there are about 15 litres left. The rest went on washing up, washing and flushing the toilet. I didn't top up the tank whilst we were away. If on a longer trip I would top up around 10 litres for each day when water was available. Used this system for 7 years and never, ever, run short.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back