LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I have been using various additives over recent years to help my old Hymer pass the MOT emmissions test and have just realised that a bottle of Spanish brandy, although very valuable, might be a better and less expensive additive compared to the regular products on the market.

Any thoughts?

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
I have been using various additives over recent years to help my old Hymer pass the MOT emmissions test and have just realised that a bottle of Spanish brandy, although very valuable, might be a better and less expensive additive compared to the regular products on the market.

Any thoughts?
Is that to give to the MOT tester to drink before he tests the Hymer?:sneaky:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Might work on a petrol engine but I wouldn't want to try it. As for your diesel motorhome, NO....Just NO. Don't do it. Just keep buying the snake oil that the go-faster shops sell.

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Is that to give to the MOT tester to drink before he tests the Hymer?:sneaky:

What I do not understand, and do not dare ask the MOT examiner, is why he alternates the emmisions test from one year to the next. He either does a 'quick test' or the 'full monty'. As his computer has always said the magic words 'PASS' it seems sensible for me to keep quiet.

Can anyone explain the difference between the two tests bearing mind the age of my vehicle (Euro standards had not been invented in those days).

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
What I do not understand, and do not dare ask the MOT examiner, is why he alternates the emmisions test from one year to the next. He either does a 'quick test' or the 'full monty'. As his computer has always said the magic words 'PASS' it seems sensible for me to keep quiet.

Can anyone explain the difference between the two tests bearing mind the age of my vehicle (Euro standards had not been invented in those days).

I might be wrong here, but perhaps what he does is the emissions test & then the smoke test itself?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I might be wrong here, but perhaps what he does is the emissions test & then the smoke test itself?

I should have clarified that my MH is so old it does not require an emmissions test (from what I understand) but only requires a smoke test. He only does one test each year. Either 'quick' or 'full'. He is an HGV tester and probably considers my MH as a toy?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Might work on a petrol engine but I wouldn't want to try it. As for your diesel motorhome, NO....Just NO. Don't do it. Just keep buying the snake oil that the go-faster shops sell.
The price comparison is brandy XXX additive XXXXXX, I think that is the gist of the joke??
I buy additive to keep petrol from Going off but the costs as much as a load of fresh petrol.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Any thoughts?
Are you sure you NEED the additives? I wonder what happens if you don't use it ... would it pass anyway? Now THAT might be a good question to ask the MOT man ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The vast majority by far pass the emissions test wihout any help from 'Snake Oil'
However the odd ones that do need help respond extreamly well to a product called Forte one of the better Snake oils that do indeed work and is provable
Alternating Emissions tests are not an option that the tester can choose, the test is fully automated and consists of two parts
1. The fast pass if your vehicle falls below a certain figure the test wil self complete as satisfactory
2. The system will i it detects a higher reading than a fast ass limit will auoto apply a full test useing an inbuilt set of paramitters
The clean burn modern diesels can not be seen by the equipment at all and used to default to no vehice under test, we had to get al our machines adjusted to cope with this anomally.
Shows how clean engins are getting
On modern petrol engines the machine does a sample of the enviroment the car is in, to deduct from the cars results
Quite often the exhaust emissions coming out are cleaner than the air going in
G

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back