Renault Master Spare wheel ??????? (1 Viewer)

FrankCoffi

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
Andover,Hants
Funster No
MH
Lunar Premier H592
Exp
since 2007
Hi all, can anyone tell me how they expect a poor old codger to get the spare out,on a Lunar Premier H 592 on a Renault Master chassis. Having just had air suspension fitted at my local garage ( Harewood Garage Andover ),I was just curious to see how the spare wheel is released and to my disbelief I found that you have to crawl under the MH and unscrew two nuts to lower the cage and lift ( Drag ) the spare out ?????
I now come to the part where someone will reply JOIN THE AA let them do it. This is fine but I'm at a loss to understand how this could happen in the first place,surely Lunar would have given more thought,as to how anyone is to get at the Spare ??
I now realise that maybe I should have seen this problem before purchase,but I was stupid enough to assume that this arrangement would not be there and some form of quick release,accessible from just under the side would be fitted ! Just to add insult to a complete mystery,I have a towbar fitted which adds to the problem.
Has anyone come across this problem before and come up with a solution, apart from the AA,RAC,Green flag or any of the other breakdown services,say maybe making some form of slide out side compartment ?
Have your fun but any sensible answers would be appreciated. Regards to all Frank.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Have your fun but any sensible answers would be appreciated. Regards to all Frank.
Sounds really difficult ..but whatever mechanism is fitted the wheels are quite heavy and difficult to manage..
My mk 7 transit has a wheel cradle that winds down but still requires a crawl around to get it out..
The new mh doesn't have a spare . I've got to buy a spare and try and fit it somehow.. sorry no help to you but thought I'd comment..
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I have a Master on an Alko chassis god knows how you get the spare out. I was thank Ng of getting rid of it completely save some weight.vbut we know exactly what happens then.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We have the same set up on our Master, it's a proper PITA. It's worth having a go dropping it down "in the comfort of your own home". First time I tried ours, everything was seized up. I had the van jacked up on axle stands and had to spray everything with release oil. If you do drop the wheel, be aware that it is quite heavy so keep your hands etc out of the way as you lower it. You can buy an extension hose to connect to the tyre valve and fasten the end somewhere accessible to make checking the spare's pressure easier.

OP
OP
FrankCoffi

FrankCoffi

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
Andover,Hants
Funster No
MH
Lunar Premier H592
Exp
since 2007
Andy,Porkster,Jock,thanks for your replies,the best idea I've come up with so far is to remove the wheel,measure it and get a cradle made up and bolt it so as I can carry it on top of the extended part of the towbar and purchase a cover to make it look right ?
Any other ideas are welcome.Thanks Frank.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
A chap near Goole, East Yorkshire sells a wind down mechanism he recovers from Master chassis when converting to tippers.
Winder locates on side member. Will try and find details.

Luketj

Free Member
Jun 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Renault Master 2006
Hello, could I ask a question, please? You said you have air suspensions, towbar, and spare wheel. If the towbar (the inner brackets) does not bolt into the bolting holes that the air suspension is occupying, then I assume the brackets bolt into the two holes (on each side) right next to (to the rear of) the air suspension's bolting holes. And I have to assume that those holes are not occupied by the spare wheel cage. Could you tell me what the diameter and thread are of those bolting holes? A 10mm goes in and then pulls out because its too loose; a 12mm will not screw in, seems too big. A 7/16" looks like a good fit, but my coarse thread bolts will not screw in, they jam.

Luketj

Free Member
Jun 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Renault Master 2006
I'm referring to a 2006 Renault Master ex-ambulance.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A lot of automotive fixings are a fine thread. Standard 12mm bolt is 1.75 mm pitch, but they do use M12 x 1.5mm fine pitch on vehicles. Here's two M12 bolts to compare.
ps, I would try a scrapyards or you can probably order them from a main dealer at a price !
20210611_192255.jpg

Top bolt M12x1.5, bottom bolt M12 x 1.75.

Luketj

Free Member
Jun 11, 2021
Funster No
MH
Renault Master 2006
thanks. It's not so easy to see the difference.
So you think it should be a metric size, and so M12. I'll have to try it. If not, I'll have to retap the holes with a 12mm thread. Probably not easy upside down under the vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back