Fridge Conundrumthe (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We have a Globecar Campscout with a dometic fridge.

At the moment the builders are working on the house so we had to find a temporary home for the van. It has ended up living n the builders yard.

Anyway, we are plugged into the mains - whilst at the builders the fridge is not working, we pick up the van and it is warm and no ice!!! We have checked, the mains is definitely working and we can plug in and boil the kettle.

Bring the van home, plug it in and ice is starting to form within an hour.

Anyone here able to give a plausible explanation for why electricity 4 miles away is not as good as ours?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Usually someone says "was it level?" when fridge issues are posted...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Manxcat
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Definitely level.

I cant see how a control board can say to itself I am in a builders yard so I wont work. Great I am back at home so I can start working again!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Is there any chance you plugged in to 110v supply? The fridge may be clever enough to spot that whereas the kettle wouldn't I guess?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anyone here able to give a plausible explanation for why electricity 4 miles away is not as good as ours?

The yard supply voltage is probably low.. I've had this problem on busy Spanish sites .. it won't affect a kettle.. or anything with a heating element.. other than make them slower to heat.. but it will affect the fridge.. even though it has a heating element the electronics sense low voltage and shut off. Below 195Volts AC , it won't work..

is it on an extra long extension cable .. or a long way from the main supply.. ?

Is there any chance you plugged in to 110v supply?

Not possible.. the Blue 16A 240v plug won't fit a Yellow 110v Socket

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
You say it was level but some modern fridges only have to be 3 degrees out to not work properly, e.g new Thetford. As @Jenben found out in Spain.

OP
OP
Manxcat
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
The yard supply voltage is probably low.. I've had this problem on busy Spanish sites .. it won't affect a kettle.. or anything with a heating element.. other than make them slower to heat.. but it will affect the fridge.. even though it has a heating element the electronics sense low voltage and shut off. Below 195Volts AC , it won't work..

is it on an extra long extension cable .. or a long way from the main supply.. ?

I think that will be the explanation! Thanks. Yes on our long cable in this case. When at home its quite a short cable.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Did you try anything else 240v-wise? was the leccy even switched on?
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
Manxcat
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Well according to my theory if you plug the 3 pin kettle in and boil the water you have leccy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back