Plastic water bottles ..scientist needed (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Usually buy my drinking water in large plastic bottles and then use these to top up from the taps when camping .. now that it has been found that the plastic gives off dangerous something or other, does anyone know if boiling the water removes the dangerous compound? Only if away for several weeks wildcamping the water obviously is not fresh daily.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Usually buy my drinking water in large plastic bottles and then use these to top up from the taps when camping .. now that it has been found that the plastic gives off dangerous something or other, does anyone know if boiling the water removes the dangerous compound? Only if away for several weeks wildcamping the water obviously is not fresh daily.

Joy, the older I get the less I worry about 'what I'm told'............I've drunk a lot worse than water from a plastic bottle................(y)

;)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wont make any difference, its the plastic which leaches chemicals into the water but it takes a long, long time so carry on reusing the bottles.

Opps....i thought you meant boiling the water THEN bottling it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Joy, the older I get the less I worry about 'what I'm told'............I've drunk a lot worse than water from a plastic bottle................(y)

;)
That explains a lot ... :LOL:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
It is in such small amounts joy I wouldent lose much sleep over it.
Probably to light now any way we have Ben consuming the toxin's that long a bit more can't do much more damage
Bill

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just checked the use by date on a bottle....june 2017.
So....if you leave the same water in the bottle for a year or more i would be careful drinking it....otherwise just carry on.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Its true that some plastics give off chemicals over time but the type used for your bottled water are of "food grade" & that kind of approval isn't easily awarded, so you've got little to worry about. Even if the chemicals were present boiling wouldn't alter the chemicals.
Just out of curiosity where did you get the information that these bottles gave off harmful chemicals?

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Its true that some plastics give off chemicals over time but the type used for your bottled water are of "food grade" & that kind of approval isn't easily awarded, so you've got little to worry about. Even if the chemicals were present boiling wouldn't alter the chemicals.
Just out of curiosity where did you get the information that these bottles gave off harmful chemicals?

I can't remember where I read it, sorry.. but can only think it must have been on one of my few visits to Facebook as don't read newspapers or magazines any more.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why buy water though.
are you alergic to chlorine.
black plastic is best as it stops the green algie growth.
fill up at taps etc
bottled water is very often natural water . but contains much more contaminates than cleaned tap water.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In the back of my mind I seem to recall something about not re-using drinking water/soft drink bottles once the original contents had been consumed for some miniscule health reason but I suspect it was more to do with stopping people refilling them and NOT then buying another from the manufacturer!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
In the back of my mind I seem to recall something about not re-using drinking water/soft drink bottles once the original contents had been consumed for some miniscule health reason but I suspect it was more to do with stopping people refilling them and NOT then buying another from the manufacturer!

I never re-use my water............. too salty

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
why buy water though.
fill up at taps etc
bottled water is very often natural water . but contains much more contaminates than cleaned tap water.
Yes but it just tastes better, I always buy Evian and drink it every day, just because I like the taste. Especially with a nice malt and I certainly don't worry about plastic contamination, I would be more concerned as to how many bladders tap water has been through before it appears in my glass.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
why buy water though.
fill up at taps etc

Only buy it when containers break and need more bottles to fill. I like to fill about 4 of the large ones if I am going away for a while as I don't know when I will next be nr a tap.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Yes but it just tastes better, I always buy Evian and drink it every day, just because I like the taste. Especially with a nice malt and I certainly don't worry about plastic contamination, I would be more concerned as to how many bladders tap water has been through before it appears in my glass.
just about every drop of water in the world as been passed through a body.
even spring water gets into under ground water tables and is forced to the surface .
i,m told putting tap water in the fridge gets rid of the chlorine . but i dont taste it anyway.
i have spent time working for our local water compasny and have asked many questions on cleaning water . i,m not a scientist . but have visited desalination plants in morocco etc and other countries . just being nosey and offering my card supplied by the company i worked for . i,m terribly nosey.
i was lucky that some of the scientists with south west water were interested in the countries i visited so i visited works over there . but as i say i,m not a scientist.
but contact your local water company ,they very often allow guided tours of water works and try to explain how what is used or done to clean your drinking water . its very interesting . give them a ring . you might enjoy a visit to a works . ask lots of questions .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know its been said that bottles leaching carcinogens is said to be a hoax. but i also know if you leave a bottle of water in direct sunlight for a day it tastes bad

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK! Here is the scientific explanation! :D
When you purchase a bottle of plastic water, you contribute to the profits of the company that bottled it. When you subsequently refill that bottle, you do not contribute to said companies profit.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
even spring water gets into under ground water tables and is forced to the surface .
i,m told putting tap water in the fridge gets rid of the chlorine . but i dont taste it anyway.
i have spent time working for our local water compasny and have asked many questions on cleaning water . i,m not a scientist . but have visited desalination plants in morocco etc and other countries . just being nosey and offering my card supplied by the company i worked for . i,m terribly nosey.
i was lucky that some of the scientists with south west water were interested in the countries i visited so i visited works over there . but as i say i,m not a scientist.
but contact your local water company ,they very often allow guided tours of water works and try to explain how what is used or done to clean your drinking water . its very interesting . give them a ring . you might enjoy a visit to a works . ask lots of questions .
I used to have a water co as a client and have spent some time in their labs and works, as you say it's a fascinating process, in which I have every confidence. The U.K. Water system is justly proud of their quality and volume of supply, it's just I find the taste of their water not as enjoyable as Evian when consumed straight out of the tap.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think the best comment I heard about this particular bottled water was.....read it backwards

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I used to have a water co as a client and have spent some time in their labs and works, as you say it's a fascinating process, in which I have every confidence. The U.K. Water system is justly proud of their quality and volume of supply, it's just I find the taste of their water not as enjoyable as Evian when consumed straight out of the tap.
to be honest i very often drink rain water.
when away its handy to catch it and if it looks clean i do drink it .
at home i have tanks that catch water off the roof and use it to flush toilets etc .
i,m not exactly a eco warriour but do consider flushing clean drinking water down the toilet a waste .
i do catch rain not off the roof for drinking but usually its boiled first for tea .coffee .
in many african or asian countries you just have to take and drink what everyone else drinks . i do have a good water puifying system in the truck so if it looks dodgey i do have clean water . but as you have experienced a visit to a water works is very interesting .
i did sewage work as well , i found that incredibly interesting as well.
they do visits sometimes round those works , i,m sure many would find them interesting as well .

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes I think every drop has passed through a body. So we need to decide whether we want second hand water from humans, animals or mammals. Fish pee in water

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I know its been said that bottles leaching carcinogens is said to be a hoax. but i also know if you leave a bottle of water in direct sunlight for a day it tastes bad
Of course it doesn't help that plastic bottles are porous. OK, yes it doesn't appear that way but put half a bottle of water, with top on and leave outside for a couple of months. You'll find green algae and that's not able to be washed out. It's now incorporated in the plastic.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Of course it doesn't help that plastic bottles are porous. OK, yes it doesn't appear that way but put half a bottle of water, with top on and leave outside for a couple of months. You'll find green algae and that's not able to be washed out. It's now incorporated in the plastic.

Yes but would you really drink from a half empty bottle that had been left outside for a couple of months ?

I wouldn't

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bleach will remove it though .
remember bleach . chlorine same chemical.
but do wash the bottle out well after bleaching .
funny i have had some friends here this week and i deliberately left some water in a white plastic water container till i got green algie . it now on my kitchen sink with a weak bleach mix .
we had been talking about this all week.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes but would you really drink from a half empty bottle that had been left outside for a couple of months ?

I wouldn't
I didn't go anywhere near to suggesting drinking it. I merely said that plastic is porous and that shows how. Think if your fishing for likes, you failed.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

I wouldn't
but black plastic there is no algie .
i leave water in my tank months . its black . i wouldnt have anything else but a black fresh water tank.
there as been water in the emergency bomb shelters for years and still drinkable .

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I didn't go anywhere near to suggesting drinking it. I merely said that plastic is porous and that shows how. Think if your fishing for likes, you failed.

Not looking for 'likes', just putting commonsense above 'theory'.............

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a silver inlayed ceramic filter in the truck. but silver does help.
if we were rich i would say drop some silver in your water tank.
Broken Link Removed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well I'd already given him a like before I read your post so he didn't fail ... maybe I'm just easily amused! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back