Charities, which do you support (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Hi, With newspaper article this week stating that the 'Poppy Day Appeal 2015' raised some £53 million. But £46 million was spent on wages. I thought that most of the monies went to aiding vets.
Then the line that the Association for Guide Dogs for the Blind, actually only spends the interest each year on their £100 plus million bank deposit. Or that Oxfams overheads are at 85% of income.

When is a charity worthy, or when is it just another business that donates some of it's income away.

Lastly I was really appaled to learn that when Haiti had the catastrophic Hurricanes and floods, that several billion from around the world was donated to various charities. But years on, not a single school or hospital has been built.That charity teams are working out of grand hotels driving new 4 x 4's and looking after on a daily basis several families, similar to what a social worker does in the UK.
Little wonder that you can go to Uni and get a degree in charity work and make it a career, leading to 6 figure salaries.

So, I now only give to locally run charities where there are no CEO's and visible accountability.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi, With newspaper article this week stating that the 'Poppy Day Appeal 2015' raised some £53 million. But £46 million was spent on wages. I thought that most of the monies went to aiding vets.
Then the line that the Association for Guide Dogs for the Blind, actually only spends the interest each year on their £100 plus million bank deposit. Or that Oxfams overheads are at 85% of income.

When is a charity worthy, or when is it just another business that donates some of it's income away.

Lastly I was really appaled to learn that when Haiti had the catastrophic Hurricanes and floods, that several billion from around the world was donated to various charities. But years on, not a single school or hospital has been built.That charity teams are working out of grand hotels driving new 4 x 4's and looking after on a daily basis several families, similar to what a social worker does in the UK.
Little wonder that you can go to Uni and get a degree in charity work and make it a career, leading to 6 figure salaries.

So, I now only give to locally run charities where there are no CEO's and visible accountability.
I agree I only donate to local charities,gave up helping some years ago when I saw how the upper echelon spent the money ..i.e. Approx 85% on administration and wages. No doubt about it is big business taking hard earned money off those that give in good faith. Oxxxm for one should be investigated and their books shown to the public ...rant over will go back and sit in the sun again..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This list is a bit old, but it gives an idea as to how much the boss earns

Consumers’ Association £300k-£310k
Marie Stopes International £260k-£270k
Save the Children International £261,309
Cancer Research UK £210k-£220k
British Red Cross Society £180k-£190k
Age UK £180k-£190k
Shaw Trust £180k-£190k
National Trust £170k-£180k
Royal Mencap Society £170k-£180k
Crime Reduction Initiatives £170k-£180k
Alternative Futures Group £170k-£180k
British Heart Foundation £173,300
Leonard Cheshire Disability £160k-£170k
Macmillan Cancer Support £160k-£170k
Marie Curie Cancer Care £160k-£170k
NSPCC £160k-£170k
Addaction £160k-£170k
Turning Point £165,000
Save the Children £162,220
Charities Aid Foundation £150k-£160k
Barnardo’s £150k-£160k
People’s Dispensary For Sick Animals £150k-£160k
Sense, The National Deaf blind and Rubella Association £150k-£160k
Royal Horticultural Society £150k-£160k
Zoological Society of London £150k-£160k
Historic Royal Palaces £151,037
Action for Children £140k-£150k
Salvation Army £140k-£150k
National Association of Citizens Advice Bureaux £140k-£150k
Royal National Lifeboat Institution £130k-£140k
Royal British Legion £130k-£140k
Royal National Institute of Blind People £130k-£140k
Scope £130k-£140k
National Autistic Society £130k-£140k
St John Ambulance £130k-£140k
Alzheimer’s Society £130k-£140k
United Response £120k-£130k
Dogs Trust £120k-£130k
Voluntary Service Overseas £120k-£130k
National Schizophrenia Fellowship £120k-£130k
Catch22 £120k-£130k

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
RNLI and the Sally Ann, also a few bob to the Cornwall Air Ambulance

Used to support Help For Heros then found out the "boss" was dragging over £200k, his misses had her hand in the till so did a BiL

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes I was disgusted when I found out about this and only ever give to our local hospice now, not a penny to any national ones.
I think the worst one is the RNLI, the guys on the boats risk their lives every time they go out and there's fat cats taking a fortune out of it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This list is a bit old, but it gives an idea as to how much the boss earns

National Schizophrenia Fellowship £120k-£130k
Catch22 £120k-£130k

So if you are really really bottom of the pile, going out rattling a tin, the get a measly £120,000. What we need is a charity for impoverished charity CEOs.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just looking at the legion's accounts. Last year they raised 141 million. The total cost of raising that money (including wages) was £34m. Its a massive organisation with a lot happening so it sounds like a pretty reasonable ratio to me.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm sure The RNLI boss earns every penny. The way the service is positioned in the public eye, the way donations are sought, collected and used to best effect is no mean feat. The service is absolutely superb. David Brent would do it for less. But would we get the service.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm sure The RNLI boss earns every penny

What puzzles me is RNLI and Air Ambulance are charities. I would have thought any decent country would consider these to be basic minima for it's citizens.

And that applies to many other charities, like the armed forces one, we send them out to get shot up and then dump them !!!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What puzzles me is RNLI and Air Ambulance are charities. I would have thought any decent country would consider these to be basic minima for it's citizens.

I've often thought the same. But thankfully they are not. Anyway if they were they'd already have gone the way of Gas and Rail :)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
What really brasses me off over and above those with fat cat CEOs is the number of dodgy businesses posing as charities. For example, private residential care homes, private hospitals, housing associations, etc.

The WRVS (now the Royal Voluntary Service or RVS) are one of the most conspicuous in hospitals etc, yet one of the least supported.

For myself, I support several charities that resonate with my own life (and that of others close to me), including Cancer Research UK, RNIB, Macmillan Nurses and a local hospice. RVS have just been added. However, I do so as anonymously as possible, I hate being canvassed with pleading letters all the time

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

And that applies to many other charities, like the armed forces one, we send them out to get shot up and then dump them !!!!
I agree if the true monetary cost of war was known, ie after care for the wounded it would not be so easy to sell the idea of going around the world fighting wars to the British public .

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
When back in England the only one we support is the local Search and Rescue who I believe are squeeky clean----- unless someone knows different

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Reading the above list it just justifies why I don't support any charity.
For years some of my work involved working with various charities and seeing how much they wasted and the grand buildings and offices they occupied made me vow never to subscribe or donate to any of them.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
to sell the idea of going around the world fighting wars to the British public .

I think the British public were 99.9% against Iraq and Afghanistan, a lot of good that did.

Let's face it, we plebs have been brainwashed into accepting war for hundreds of years. At least in the internet age it's harder to sell tails of The Hun eating babies they capture. I don't think many of us believed in "weapons of mass destruction".

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
On a regular basis East Anglia Air Ambulance, The Donkey Sanctuary, MacMillan and less frequently various Just Giving efforts that catch my eye, particularly on Fun.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Rotary sponsored charities are usually pretty good (I used to be a member but no longer ) they helped irradicate polio

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think the British public were 99.9% against Iraq and Afghanistan, a lot of good that did.

Let's face it, we plebs have been brainwashed into accepting war for hundreds of years. At least in the internet age it's harder to sell tails of The Hun eating babies they capture. I don't think many of us believed in "weapons of mass destruction".

I bought it all. But then I believed Lance Armstrong and Old Mo :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I stopped donating goods to national and regional charity shops when I found out they went virtually straight out the back door to market/car boot sale traders! Now I give it all to the Hull Greyhound Trust's charity who I do the website for who have just one shop and everything is sold through it ... no market traders at all!

OP
OP

Deleted User
Wow, had no idea this thread would cause such a reaction. Those salaries and the fact the info was old, is a real eye opener. I think Oxfam is probably the worst, as Jim says about British Legion, the larger overall income figure puts a better return on it. Then of course, was it Kids Club that couldn't show accounts. Diane Abbot and a charity that looks like it just funded a bash for the ( trying to be polite now) nah, you know who I mean.
I liked Bob a Job, and the charities in your own town now. I could go on, about African Water, schools etc. But will give it a rest. Much obliged for the input.

Now, If anyone has a real Charity that the Funsters could get behind, that maybe worth a raffle or two.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back