Croatia - A culinary adventure. There and back in 3 weeks (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We're heading off on our latest adventure - to Croatia

Croatia promises us some amazing National Parks, crystal clear seas and wonderful historical sites.
We're heading through France, Switzerland and Italy and hope to be in Croatia in about 4 days.
We've got 22 night maximum to get there and back, see the sights and fit in as many culinary treats as we can.

Any suggestions on paces to stay or visit are always welcomed.

Here are some pics of what we hope to discover

pakleni-hvar-islands-croatia.jpg.rend.tccom.616.462.jpeg

JackBrauer-Plitvice-Waterfalls.jpg

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Enjoy Croatia but I would suprised if you find culinary delights. We found that the food wasn't special.

Don't forget to have your driving lights on whenever you are driving.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Im gobsmacked I never ever thought of it as loverly as that,

Well done with your choice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

worky

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
worcester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
hya Robert - we've just returned after 9 weeks round Croatia, you'll love it. A couple of places we can recommend are;

Minicamp Ulika near Rovinj, a lovely town with historical centre, the camping is about 7kms from Rovinj with easy cycle path along the coast. There is a fantastic restaurant attached to Ulika which gets rave reviews and is not your ordinary burger n chips place, but quite expensive, but definitely worth the experience. I think it only has 20 emplacements and gets very full quickly, so best to phone ahead to check.

http://www.ulika-rovinj.com/

another place worth a visit is Trogir, we stayed at Camping Seget http://www.ulika-rovinj.com/ again not too big a campsite also popular, so again at this time of year maybe worth phoning ahead. For really good home cooking turn left out of the beach gate and walk towards Seget village to Konobo Rico (restaurant) run by 3 ladies and would recommend the 3 fish dish - 3 quite large fish each - simply done but I seem to remember it cost something like £9 each, yummy !!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.5...6CGnelg_S_dg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

well all for now
cheers

Clyde

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
hya Robert - we've just returned after 9 weeks round Croatia, you'll love it. A couple of places we can recommend are;

Minicamp Ulika near Rovinj, a lovely town with historical centre, the camping is about 7kms from Rovinj with easy cycle path along the coast. There is a fantastic restaurant attached to Ulika which gets rave reviews and is not your ordinary burger n chips place, but quite expensive, but definitely worth the experience. I think it only has 20 emplacements and gets very full quickly, so best to phone ahead to check.

http://www.ulika-rovinj.com/

another place worth a visit is Trogir, we stayed at Camping Seget http://www.ulika-rovinj.com/ again not too big a campsite also popular, so again at this time of year maybe worth phoning ahead. For really good home cooking turn left out of the beach gate and walk towards Seget village to Konobo Rico (restaurant) run by 3 ladies and would recommend the 3 fish dish - 3 quite large fish each - simply done but I seem to remember it cost something like £9 each, yummy !!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@43.5...6CGnelg_S_dg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

well all for now
cheers

Clyde
Thanks Clyde - have added both towns to our Itinerary
We're only heading as far as Split, but both places are en route.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Are LED side lights ok, or do I need headlights and rear lights ?

I don't know but was fined for not having my driving lights on. LEDs are accepted in some countries but not all as driving lights.

worky

Free Member
Mar 6, 2008
worcester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
hya again Robert - our opinion, well not quite, plus a few others we spoke to, but Split is not really worth going out of your way, very small historical centre surrounded by hideous old communist/modern buildings and driving thru the centre to the port can be,shall we say, challenging with all the traffic, but others may disagree. Re your question on lights I drove with dipped headlights and obviously rears, I think that's the requirement.

cheers

Clyde

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Think your bottom picture is Plitvice. Fabulous. Also look out for the restaurants cooking whole pigs outside you can often overnight in the carpark. Rustic aire right on the waterfront at Senj is a good place to stop too.

We want to go back to Croatia but there are too many places and not enough time! Just about to set off for a leisurely trip through France & and Spain but Norway on the agenda for next Spring. Will be taking notes from your trip.

Tony

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
As you possibly remember we headed towards Croatia on our main trip this year - but missed, taking a wrong turning and shooting down into the depths of Italy like a ferret going down the wrong drain pipe. :) But I was planning on having a poke around Slovenia on the way to Croatia, Lake Bled is well known but there is another big lake to the west we were going to visit, Lake Bohinj, but I guess you won't have time for that much of a diversion! :)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Robert - if you're limited with time, we would say stick to Istria. We thought it had the best places. We drove all the way to Dubrovnik, which we were really disappointed with. Apart from the walls, we thought it was just all restaurants, shops and not much else. Cruise ships disgorging the masses in the mornings, so it was packed. Between Split and Dubrovnik there was miles and miles of nothingness.

Our route would be Belgium and Germany, which are toll free. Austria, has an €8 vignette, Slovenia has a €15 euro vignette and that's the total payment of tolls getting you to Croatia.

Istria is beautiful - definitely the best part for us.

'Konobas' are family run traditional restaurants - 'restaurants' seem to be higher end food - but I wouldn't think it was a country blessed with culinary masterpieces - nothing particularly stood out for us!

Have a wonderful time - ask any questions you want, while you travel around - I think we can safely say we did most of Croatia! (y)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've arrived at our first stop
(Campercontact 23454) at a free Aire in Marcoing France
We arrived as the sun began to set
image.jpeg

Dinner tonight was 'en van'
Some Lamb Chops, accompanied by a Bulgar Wheat salad, which contained a medley of diced veggies that we picked from the garden before leaving
image.jpeg

The meal was washed down with a nice bottle of French red wine that we discovered on our last trip.
Tomorrow we head South towards Switzerland

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As you possibly remember we headed towards Croatia on our main trip this year - but missed, taking a wrong turning and shooting down into the depths of Italy like a ferret going down the wrong drain pipe. :) But I was planning on having a poke around Slovenia on the way to Croatia, Lake Bled is well known but there is another big lake to the west we were going to visit, Lake Bohinj, but I guess you won't have time for that much of a diversion! :)
I was wondering @DBK
When this navigation crisis occurred, were you using a trusted 'proper' paper map, or sat nav?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I was wondering @DBK
When this navigation crisis occurred, were you using a trusted 'proper' paper map, or sat nav?
The misnavigation, if there is such a word, started to manifest itself in France, so I blame the wine and cheese. :)

Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Bohinj is well worth the trip.

Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
And out on to some islands. Conversely, we found Istria disappointing apart from Pula and its amphitheatre. Much of the 'must see' Istria is not overly motorhome convenient. It just shows that everyones experience is different.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We preferred Bosnia to Croatia and found that the people were friendlier but that was 9 years ago.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I will be following your posts internet permitting. We are off on Sunday heading to Dusseldorf for Caravan Salon on Tue & Wed, then probably heading down to Croatia, if the weather stays good will probably spend a week or two in Germany, no rush we have 8 weeks.
Do let us know how you get on with the camping as like you we prefer not to use sites.

If you do go via Slovenia the road of a 100 hairpins (they only count the tight ones) through the Soca valley is well worth the drive.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
And out on to some islands. Conversely, we found Istria disappointing apart from Pula and its amphitheatre. Much of the 'must see' Istria is not overly motorhome convenient. It just shows that everyones experience is different.
We found Istria to be very motorhome convenient - camping in ACSI sites and cycling into towns. Like you said, everyones experience is different. :)

This is Geraldine typng on Mousy's ipad - just to confuse you all!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I will be following your posts internet permitting. We are off on Sunday heading to Dusseldorf for Caravan Salon on Tue & Wed, then probably heading down to Croatia, if the weather stays good will probably spend a week or two in Germany, no rush we have 8 weeks.
Do let us know how you get on with the camping as like you we prefer not to use sites.

If you do go via Slovenia the road of a 100 hairpins (they only count the tight ones) through the Soca valley is well worth the drive.

Wild camping isn't allowed in Croatia (or wasn't when we were there). We travelled the length of the country and possibly on saw one mh parking where it could have wild camped. The police were pretty strict. There are a number of small cheap sites that allow you to stay away from the big campsites but I guess that you'll have much less competiition for space in September.

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
In 2008 we loved the Magistrala coastal road from Zadar to Split where there seemed to be endless small camp sites right by the sea. We were rather disappointed to find this year that most of these had been built on and were now apartmenti. However we did stay at the gorgeous Autocamp Martin between Zadar and Biograd that was simply wonderful.
This year's plan, never a good idea, was to island hop, but after a trip to lovely Rab we felt we had to experience more of the outstanding coastal road between Rijeka and Zadar. This has to be one of the best motorhome drives anywhere, fabulous scenery, a good road and can stop wherever you want. Some might say nothingness but we loved it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back