Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Whatever next? We're off for a week in a motorhome - a Swift Escape - travelling from Hull to Edinburgh.

Never had a go at motorhoming before, so it should be interesting and potentially entertaining (from other peoples point of view!).

I'll comment here if anyone's interested, but will comment regularly on The Caravan Channel's Link Removed. There'll be a few snaps, too, and a bit of video if poss!

It'll also appear on the TV show later.

Later this year, we'll also be off in the smallest motorhome/camper I've ever seen . . . should be entertaining.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Chris, welcome to motorhomes, your tugging days will soon become a distant memory::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Chris, and have fun- if you need any help on your journey, just pop in and ask. We promise not to laugh at any newbies :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
well Chris so your finally doing a motorhome trial and later the smallest motorhome so when are you going to try an RV? What channel is it that your show goes out on?

Welcome to the FUN site

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
Whatever next? We're off for a week in a motorhome - a Swift Escape - travelling from Hull to Edinburgh.

Never had a go at motorhoming before, so it should be interesting and potentially entertaining (from other peoples point of view!).

Looking forward to it :thumb:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi Chris, have a great time. It sounds an interesting itinerary.
Can you post time and channel it will be shown on?
Lucille

OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
The final outcome will be shown in The Caravan Channel, which is shown on Sky 166 and Freesat 402, as well as in clips on it's related website (caravanchannel.tv, of course). The programme is fortnightly, and has been made for the last 3 years - we're just coming up to 80 half-hour shows. It's shown on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday evenings at 7pm, with a new show every two weeks, premiering on the Wednesday - the next premiere is this week, 21st Oct.

Tonight, we're on the Boroughbridge site of the Camping and Caravanning Club . . . hook-up driving the heater nicely, surprisingly good pic on the box - there's no telly arial or TV fitted to the 664, and we left the dish set-up at home, but the little indoor arial seems to work fine on this site.

The Ducato van base seems to drive well; we've only done about 50 miles in the m/h today, and 150 ish in the car driving to Hull, but I'm done for and am going to hit the sack in a mo!

PS Chatter: fix up the loan of one and we'll do it. No problem, although I wouldn't be willing to upgrade my licence!

Nighty-night!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Nearly nine, and haven't been for my shower yet - dozy blighter!

Comfortable night - I was interested to see if my feet were going to hang off the corner cut-off on the bed, but its smaller than some cut-offs, and it was fine. Left the overhead vent open from cooking dinner, but whacked the heater on and we we cosy.

Today's plan is to wander off towards Edinburgh, but we might stop-off on the way, we'll see. The provision stopping point is Morton Hall site, which we think has a city-centre bus stop right outside . . . Might have 2 or 3 nights there.

OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Greeting from slightly dismal Edinburgh . . . sky's a bit grey, but never mind.

We got here about fourish - didn't leave Boroughbridge till about 11am, and had a stop or two. Used the ramps at the back of the van today, on this slopy pitch at Mortonhall campsite, just outside the city (its just within the big outer ringroad), The site is quite quiet; not many tourers on, but there are some people in the small line of statics, and there's even a couple of tents - must be tough people!

I like the drive of the Ducato van; feels nice and sticky on the road cruising along at about 55, with no major moans. It's a bit more rattly than the car, but I guess if it were mine, we'd set about fixing those very rapidly, and I suspect reasonably easily.

The only thing I've found odd so far is shopping and stopping. We pulled up in a little town, near the Co-op, and did a bit, but how do you get on with supermarkets - don't they have height barriers, etc?

Last edited:

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Well it's rainy and misty here in North Wales so you are not missing the sunshine.
Lucille

OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Well it's rainy and misty here in North Wales so you are not missing the sunshine.
Lucille

Tipped down overnight here, but not raining just at the moment.

One of the nicest things about the motorhome/caravan lifestyle is not being under pressure to do stuff . . . I keep up with the world on the laptop, meander over to the block when I feel like it, and ww'll catch the bus into the big city when we feel like it!

Some people say get a hotel room . . us, rather spend £16.50 on a pitch, and have the other £50+ quid a night to spend on whatever we want to buy/do/go!

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
One of the things you are missing out on with a caravan which you can do in a motorhome is a bit of wildcamping :thumb: & Scotland is the ideal place if your new to trying it. There are some really nice places to stay especially on the west coast where wild camping is accepted. There ae loads of places listed on the wildcamping website.
There is nothing nicer than stopping somewhere all to yourself (that is if you an do without the campsite facilities for a few days) We had 3 weeks wilding around Scotland earlier this year.

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
I'm afraid you are in for a bit of rain Chris me old son. 50 millimetres are forecast for the next 24 hrs in your area (East Scotland).

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Hi Chris and welcome what about a reverse test on to the ramps? something other testers seem to forget about:winky:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Looking forward to the program, what site are you on in Edinburgh?

Ralph

OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Hi Chris and welcome what about a reverse test on to the ramps? something other testers seem to forget about:winky:

We reversed onto the ramps as a matter of course, cos I don't like sleeping with my head lower than my feet - is this supposed to be difficult? Had to pitch nose out, to get the door on the correct side.

I don't find anything about driving our Escape 664 difficult, although that may be because I spent a couple of years driving a 6-wheel AEC Mandator (I think that's what it was - forty years ago!) for a couple of years when I was 22!

Went into the city today, and not a drop of rain fell on us!

Travelled by bus to the crematorium where Dot's dad is noted in the book of remembrance; back into the city for a stroll up the Royal Mile, then out to Cameron Toll, where we visited a longtime friend of hers - Dot grew up here, many years ago!

Tomorrow, into town again for a bit more tourism, before starting a 3-day meander back down the east coast.

Just a thought - we bought a £3 all-day bus ticket each, and had 5 or 6 individual journeys . . . what excellent value! And the bus drivers, a bit gruff and hard-done by, exceptional when it came to making sure we got off at the right stop - a fine body of men!

PS: Mortonhall

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
The kind of thing that happens when you're away from home: Dot felt a bit unwell during the night, and we ended up ringing NHS Direct - they quickly dealt with the problem, and she was check by a doctor, and is better and just needs a little rest, which she can have today.

Although I, like most of us, witter on about the NHS, it does work well if you are ill right now - its long-term illness solutions sometimes seem more difficult.

So we'll leave her getting a bit more sleep, and see how she feels later today.

This changes our plan for today, of course - we'll have a morning of rest and relaxation. Tomorrow doesn't really matter much, either - we could probably stay here if we have to, so no worries. We're booked in with a series of 3 sites for Fri, Sat and Sun nights, but could soon change those, too, if required. It could be more difficult if we were in a busier place, but . . .

mort2.jpg

longandwinding.jpg

Last edited:

New Rover

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Funster No
Very glad the weathermen got it wrong Chris and that you had a good day out in Edinburgh.
I'll look forward to the programme.
Would it be Ch.166 on Sky?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Sorry to hear about Dot,loads of TLC:thumb:. I hope you phone the sites and let them know if you aren't going to turn up:Doh:.
BTW what set up are you using to keep on line?

OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Sorry to hear about Dot,loads of TLC:thumb:. I hope you phone the sites and let them know if you aren't going to turn up:Doh:.
BTW what set up are you using to keep on line?

She's much better now, thank goodness - although we'd of course phone the sites if we did have a problem . . .

I use a T-mobile stick on a contract deal . . .

More later!

OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Managed a rather enjoyable stroll aound the city today:

castle.jpg

magic.jpg

scottishEscapeparliament.jpg

scottishEscapeprinces.jpg

Tomorrow, off for a ride down the East Coat -Dunbar, etc. . .

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Afraid you're right about Princes Street!

Today has been what I'd call our first real motorhome day - the day when we took advantage of the vehicle in the way that makes the most sense.

In Edinburgh, we used it in the same way that we'd use the caravan - left on site, and using the bus system to get into around the town.

Leaving Mortonhall, Edinburgh, we drove to Portobello, then Joppa, where Dot lived when she was a teenager. Her house was right on the seafront, no 11, and we stood outside it. Then we drove along the Coast trail, down to North Berwick, and on to Dunbar, and again southwards. We found a layby high above the North Sea, where we stopped for lunch (fishfingers, yum). Got a bit blown about by trucks.

After that we passed through Berwick on our way to the Northumberland coast trail - passing Bamburgh Castle, the Farne Island and other places of . . . we took about 7 hours to cover 80 miles, point to point, and I guess that this journey, in the way we did it, wouldn't have been possible towing the caravan.

Tomorrow, we'll be going to Barnard Castle, so we'll be able to have a look at some more of the coast before going through Newcastle on our way south . . . On Sunday, it's down to Scarborough for our final night in the Escape 664, which we take back to Hull on Monday - how sad!

eyemouth.jpg

layby1.jpg

dunstanhill.jpg

bamburgh.jpg

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I am really glad the you are enjoying your motorhome experience.

Ralph

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Travelling from Barnard Castle to Scarborough, Chris, it might pay to avoid Sutton Bank if going via Thirsk rather than the coast route (Guisborough, Whitby).

Going up Sutton Bank in a large vehicle can be a bit iffy, especially if the weather is bad, and the Caravan Route is a lot easier.

Graham

OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Odd day today - had the mixed weather we were promised earlier in the week. Had an entertaining hour with a lady called Claire at the Boulmer Volunteer Rescue Service, then went through the heart of Newcastle into a downpour . . .

bvrs.jpg

coast1.jpg

coast2.jpg

rainbow.jpg

Thanks for the advice, Graham, we'll see what it's like!

OP
OP
ChrisG46

ChrisG46

Free Member
Feb 28, 2009
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
VW Camper
Exp
Since Summer 2013
Good bit of rock'n'roll in the motorhome last night, as we were blown about by the icy blasts of winter wind!

Slept like a log anyway - really cosy under a seriously heavyweight duvet!

Only one more night, then we have to ramble back to Hull - sad, innit?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back