help and advice on buying autotrail (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
hi people. looking to get auto trail savannah or Delaware, anything to look out for on these problems etc ?, are there any issues with getting 3 LTR auto ? is it better than manual ones ? is it possible to uprate weights using air ride suspension.

lots of questions but its a lot of money and this van has to last us a while.

any help really appreciated

john

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We love our Auto trail. Like anything you usually hear of the bad and never the good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We bought our Autotrail new at about the same time as the link and had a similar distressing time with leaks and problems

Sold it now and good riddance - did not even offer it on site as would not want burden anybody with it.

I fixed or had fixed just about everything. There was always a huge list of repairs following every trip

Failed its damp check at three and four years - that was it for us.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
buying an autotrail? buyer beware

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Happy with our AT Scout bought new in 2013.

I would think 3 litre would be better but it eats into your payload compared to the 2.3 manual engine.

That's the limit of my expertise I'm afraid:)

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Our first one was a Cheyenne 696G and it was great. There are plenty on here that will tell you that only a German van will do but personally the layouts leave a lot to be desired. Auto trail are known for some common issues but there is plenty of information on the net of these and what to look for. As always, make sure that it has no surprises before you part with your money.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have a 2010 AutoTrail Savannah 3 litre manual and you missed a chance to buy it earlier this year but following the pound's decline since Brexit I can't get a good deal abroad for a while so am keeping it and have added 3 solar panels, a battery to battery charger, inverter etc. I don't find any issues with ours and don't come back from trips with a load of repairs or faults to correct. Perhaps they were better back in 2010! I was going to buy an almost new big Hymer with a different layout and was not selling because of problems. I have upgraded the weight to 4500 kilos from 4005 Kilos to give us more payload so that might be something to watch out for but payload is an issue for very many vans.

We also have friends who have a 2011 version with a 2.3 litre engine and they are happy with theirs and it was them that recommended it to us.

It hasn't got a double floor like some of the continental vans which helps those that go skiing in the Alps in their motorhome!

Like all things it could be improved but then it would cost more if it had more or better gadgets. It does its job as well as any other van if its what you want and it has bags of storage space and lockers.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
abacist,

how easy was it to get it uprated to 4500kgs

take it it was airride and tyres ?

which is better the 4005 kg or the 4250 kg chassis

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
That being the case, I suggest you look at German marques .. and if your budget doesn't stretch for a new model , look at the second hand ..

we have but they haven't got the layouts we prefer

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Hi Cookie, we are now on our third Autotrail, the first a Cheyenne, we didn`t have any problems with it at all.
The Merc 2.7L 5 cyl with sprint shift auto box was a delight to drive.
We sold that for a 2008 Arapaho, again like the cheyenne it was well built, cupboards doors all interior fittings were excellent, the only problem was with reverse judder, basically there wasn`t a fix for the 3 litre model though there was a fix for the 2.3Litre.
Not sure if you are looking for new or 2nd hand just be aware if buying 2nd hand that the fault could be found in vehicles registered as late as 2012.

Our current Autotrail is a 2013 Apache, bought new and sadly we have to say that we have had more problems with this one than all the the others put together, really annoying as most of the faults could have been found and rectified before we took ownership if only Autotrail had a proper half decent quality control system, we can`t believe some of the silly faults that Autotrail allowed through their system.

All told we have now got the M/H just how we like it, not many builders have a model with the "U" shaped lounge we prefer so for now we will be keeping our Apache but have to say unless Autotrail have a massive reshuffle and put in place a genuine program and inspection unit to cover quality control then we certainly won`t be buying another Autotrail.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I am saying nothing about my "Water-trail".. ;)

Hopefully everything is fine with it now but so annoying that you do hear so many stories and they are not made up.
Yes so very lucky owners have no issues, some maybe do and wont admit it after spending so much cash..
I love my 700 for it's layout and features but the Autotrail quality control and back up could be very much improved, a lot of the old staff have also now left at the factory so goodness know what will happen now for backup..

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Interesting read above and I know it’s a very old thread but I’m also looking at the following MoHo.

Autotrail Savannah Lo Line 2009.

So reading the above has in effect put me off so any further comments from anyone with these vans?

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
their main problem is their a rubbish company with rubbish vans i believe the only maker to have a club dedicated to their problems unfortunately personnel experience otherwise known as autofail

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It is alleged that A-T`s issues came with a Change of Management. And the departure of many of the workforce that had been with A-T for years. Swift, on this side of the Humber, they too have had "mixed fortunes", Again alleged to be down to changes in labour and practices. Several of their current and former workforce drink regularly in a Pub I use. I do know, from having delivered pallets of parts to Swift between 2000-10. That they appear to have a largish East European contingent?. But so do all the Caravan makers etc; across what was "Humberside". Gearbox Issues, aside (Fiat) My 2 Rapido`s have had few issues, all rectifiable.?

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Our first motorhome wax an Autotrail, a 2013 Tracker. We were the second owners and experienced no issues. However the accompanying paperwork showed that there were damp problems in the first year but these were rectified under warranty.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
First was a used 2009 Apache 632 , only problem was a leaking window frame , sorted under warranty by dealer. Second and current is a 2015 Apache 700 new . No probs

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Thanks all so far majority is stay away and the luck ones are happy.

So I’ll keep on looking.

Thanks.

tandc

Free Member
May 4, 2010
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20 years
We have had 2 new autotrail trackers a couple of small problems 1 HYMER witch was nothing but problems it was the worst van I ever owned it winds me up just thinking about it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back