Restring fly screen door on 2015 Flair (2 Viewers)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
A string has broken on my fly screen door and the whole thing looks pretty dire now. I cannot see how to dismantle it and restring. Does anyone know the make of screen and any online reference to restringing. At Camping Algeria for 2 weeks so if it is complicated is there a local company anyone knows of?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Is the screen a concertina one with horizontal strings? If so we're also trying to get one repaired. If we get anywhere I'll let you know.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I had the strings go on my Heki roof light flyscreen
Found a video on youtube - might help?

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I had the strings go on my Heki roof light flyscreen
Found a video on youtube - might help?
Been looking for solutions on Google but not found anything useful. Have emailed factory but hoping for a "just done it" on here? I am sure it's the same unit as Hymer et all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Is the screen a concertina one with horizontal strings? If so we're also trying to get one repaired. If we get anywhere I'll let you know.
Yes exactly. Have identified, I think, to remove complete box but would like to get a how to crib sheet.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Been looking for solutions on Google but not found anything useful. Have emailed factory but hoping for a "just done it" on here? I am sure it's the same unit as Hymer et all.
On our roof light I managed to stick some felt pads to the sliding part to stop it from moving too easily
Looks like you could do a similar fix on your door flyscreem

image.jpeg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert what "string" did you use, I am surprised that this has failed after just 12 months so want to do a good job!
Mine went on our last trip
I posted pics of my repair
Will get it replaced next year when I have my next service -

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Took off the aesthetic panels and it would seem that the strings are held by pop rivets inside a box section which was also pop riveted together. I am sure on a work bench with the right tools it could be dismantled but that's a test too far here. If @Lenny you think I have missed something let me know.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Liked the fact you're getting yours replaced. Not happy that they can't be restrung though. Not good news for any fairly new but out of warranty.

We need a new one. Going to check out with Hymer when we're in Germany in September.

Good luck!

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I think you could restring, getting the frame out is easy and then you need to drill out the pop rivets string and reassemble. Care should enable a good result but I have 2 year warranty so I will let them fit a new one.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Problem is we need new netting as well, so looks like a new unit unless they can fit into the original surround.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The hab door concertina flyscreen on my Carthago is made by Horrex.

One of my horizontal strings has also broken. I emailed Horrex in Netherlands for replacement cord..... but no reply.

I've decided to do a complete restring using fishing line. The frame will need to be removed to do the restring. The frame seems to be held to the surround by screws in a slotted vertical aperture, so raising the frame should release it from the surround.

I was camped next to a French Burstner MH with the same flyscreen and they managed to remove the screen and carry out a repair to the string system. So, it can be done.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Well factory have come up trumps again. New frame and screen door complete on the way to service dealer south of Alicante. He has availability for us on 14 or 15th so we will drop in after seeing our friends at Altea. It's a simple job probably an hour for someone who has done it before.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Ours went on our Bailey had to have a new fly screen fitted at our dealers, the guy who did it was chuffed as he just had to remove the plastic cover and the screen could come out was done under warranty

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Arrived Cruz Caravanas early 09:30, they had me scheduled for 10:30. 10:50 into the workshop, 12:00 shaking hands and Adios with a complete new fly screen and frame fitted. Down to Playa Mazarron and on a pitch for a late lunch. Slight tweak needed to ease runner but otherwise better than new. And all under warranty.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A good result.
.Restringing is easy did it on my last Hymer. Took the whole frame out and restrung the broken one with black kelver kite line.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
A good result.
.Restringing is easy did it on my last Hymer. Took the whole frame out and restrung the broken one with black kelver kite line.

Thanks for the tip Lenny. Found braided black Kevlar kite line, 300 pound, on eBay - that should do the job. Was going to use braided fishing line but this looks better.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Thanks for the tip Lenny. Found braided black Kevlar kite line, 300 pound, on eBay - that should do the job. Was going to use braided fishing line but this looks better.
But if the frame is pop riveted it's a whole new ball game to restring.

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Was screwed together on the Hymer, pop rivets easy to drill out & replace with self tappers or new rivets.
Some of the snowbird Germans with complete engineering workshops on their pitch may, but my simple travelling tools do not give me the confidence, but glad it is possible.

NIB

Free Member
Jun 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift 686
Thanks Larry HB. I know this post is very old but it still helps. I was wondering what to use to replace my two broken strings your suggestion of Kevlar kite strings was spot on. I ordered some 300lb / 1.5mm on Wednesday and fixed it Thursday. It now works as well as it ever did AND I think it is far less likely to break being Kevlar. If anyone is thinking of doing this it is quite straight forward, just take photos of each stage as you dismantle it. If you want any help just give me a shout out.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks Lenny HB. I know this post is very old but it still helps. I was wondering what to use to replace my two broken strings your suggestion of Kevlar kite strings was spot on. I ordered some 300lb / 1.5mm on Wednesday and fixed it Thursday. It now works as well as it ever did AND I think it is far less likely to break being Kevlar. If anyone is thinking of doing this it is quite straight forward, just take photos of each stage as you dismantle it. If you want any help just give me a shout out.
I just had to restring the windscreen privacy screen on my current van, it shouldn't go again now I've replaced it with Kevlar.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
If the dealer says it canā€™t be repaired then ask him if you can have the old one take it home and repair it yourself as a spare.šŸ˜‰

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Looking to the future Lenny šŸ˜€

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun