Can pigs recognise numbers (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have all passed fields full of pigs and pig houses. All the houses are numbered. My question is do the pigs recognise their own houses or can they read the numbers. They all appear to find their own house at nightfall. :whatthe::Eeek:
buttons

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have all passed fields full of pigs and pig houses. All the houses are numbered. My question is do the pigs recognise their own houses or can they read the numbers. They all appear to find their own house at nightfall. :whatthe::Eeek:
buttons

A good while ago I remember a bit on TV about animal intelligence and pigs were right up there with the best of them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
How do you know ?

One night I sat and watched them all return one to each house, no confusion just 100 or more pigs all returning to one in each house. Only two didn't find their house I guess they could have needed glasses.:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
One night I sat and watched them all return one to each house, no confusion just 100 or more pigs all returning to one in each house. Only two didn't find their house I guess they could have needed glasses.:Eeek:

think you need to get out more :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Arrrr but.....how do you know that particular grunter came out of that particular house in the morning ?

maybe some thing to do with solitude and comfort...one grunter, one house.

it sees another pig on there and thinks.....i aint kipping in there with a pig :ROFLMAO:

no wise cracks please.:RollEyes:

BTW...most folks count sheep to get to sleep.....no sheep where you live then?

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Ummmmm......I can see that I will have to go elsewhere to find the answer to this one.:RollEyes:
The seed is planted. Let’s see if you can now pass a pig settlement without giving it some thought.
The pigs also have numbers. It would be good to find out if the pig numbers correspond with the house numbers. Is there anyone willing to reserch that? it would require an early start.:Eeek:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
buttons

Of course they can read numbers that's how they can use speed cameras:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

Regards Pat

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007