North/East France must see places? (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Off to France for 2 weeks and have marked quite a few really nice Aires between Dunkirk and the German border on our map. We might pop in to Lake Constance and we are looking for any places you can recommend around the Champagne/Lorraine/Alsace. We love lakes, canals, rivers, castles, cycling, etc. Is there anywhere you have been that you would recommend?

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If you like castles try the aire at Bitche. Free and very pleasant. I'll try and find some photos of it

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
place we stumbled upon by chance was Terrain de Camping des Vieilles 26k north of charleville mezieres
lake with water sports loads of forests and trails indoor swimming pool we actually stayed on an aire their not the campsite but that was the closest point i could find

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
place we stumbled upon by chance was Terrain de Camping des Vieilles 26k north of charleville mezieres
lake with water sports loads of forests and trails indoor swimming pool we actually stayed on an aire their not the campsite but that was the closest point i could find
I will look into that, I did my first (and only so far!!) 100km cycle ride on the Trans Ardennes cycle path that runs from Charleville to Givet, lovely area and great cycle path along the Meuse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cbrown1360

Free Member
Aug 24, 2015
Lymington
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Nice aire on the canal at Dun sur Meuse. 6 Euro per night including EHU and showers. We were there in July.

Attachments

• 776.JPG
    776.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 35
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Lots of nice places around Lac du Der bicycle path right round it

Would also recommend Charmes as a nice aire by the canal with bicycle rides

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Nice little Aire in the champagne village of Mareuil-sur-Ay, which is near Epernay Free and by the side of the Marne canal and has water, dump and electrics. Nice view to wake up to. Shop right next door and a nice boulangerie/patiserie in the village, as well as several champagne growers. Only 8 places so probably best to get there early.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
We should be in that area soon as well, some places I was looking at already, some I hadn't come across.
Lots of nice places around Lac du Der bicycle path right round it

Would also recommend Charmes as a nice aire by the canal
with bicycle rides
Is the Aire at Charmes far enough from the road to be quiet?

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I will look into that, I did my first (and only so far!!) 100km cycle ride on the Trans Ardennes cycle path that runs from Charleville to Givet, lovely area and great cycle path along the Meuse.
I am looking at stopping at Montherme so that we can cycle along part of that route, the Aire looks good from the photos. Also looks like an interesting ride in the direction of Bouillon.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
I am looking at stopping at Montherme so that we can cycle along part of that route, the Aire looks good from the photos. Also looks like an interesting ride in the direction of Bouillon.
We stayed on a municipal site at Revin and cycled to Givet and back. It was about 14km short of 100km so we carried on in the other direction for a while. Glynn got a puncture and told me to go ahead and put the kettle on while he fixed it. He turned up over an hour later as he got a second puncture and had no more patches. He had to walk the last 7km so I told him he didn't qualify for the 100kms like me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Nice aire on the canal at Dun sur Meuse. 6 Euro per night including EHU and showers. We were there in July.
We had a look at it a few days ago and can agree, only actually stopped for lunch as we were heading further on and the weather wasn't good enough to make us want to stop.

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
As cyclists, if you are in the Alsace and fancy a shortish challenge, cycle up to the Haut Koenigsbourg near Ribeauville. Satisfying ride and worth seeing. 10 miles up followed by 10 miles mostly down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back