cigarette lighter socket too short for any appliance - is there an adapter (1 Viewer)

Lindan

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
London
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We're newbies
Hi there
We are just about to leave home for a long european trip and I have bought a usb car charger to fit the cigarette socket, but it is too long. It does connect as it lights up but less than 50% actually fits inside so most of it is outside, and it just falls out, because the bedt contact strips dont go in far enough to 'catch'. Is there an adapter that will convert this to a full length cigarette socket?
The pictures show how short the lighter is, and the contacts showing when the adapter is in as far as it will go.
P1090228.JPG
P1090232.JPG

Attachments

• P1090234.JPG
    P1090234.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 34

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Over the years I have used a number of multi-socket adapters to power items like sat navs and dash cams &c on the road. I have found that the plugs themselves are the main problem. I have two from the same manufacturer - one fits the van socket but not the car and the other fits the car but not the van. Others fit neither satisfactorily.
Unfortunately it seems to be a matter of looking round to try to find a compatible plug and can be a bit trial and error.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I have had the same problem with various plugs. They do not grip the socket properly and work their way out and disconnect the power.
To help cure this I get a pair of sidecutters and put some nicks (burr the edges) into the sides of the outer metal contact which makes the metal to metal contact more secure. Don't overdo it or you will cut through the metal.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
First thing you should know is a cig lighter socket is not the same as a 12v power socket of similar design
and there are some plugs that simply wont work in a cig lighter, and vice versa
The OP's plug is not suitable for cig lighter socket use,
The best all rounders ive found are these( see pic) and usually have a red tip and a spring loaded center pin
there are others sold as Universal plugs that do both 12v socket and cig lighter sockets
If changing a standard plug for a universal type remember the live always goes to the centre pin
you can always ID the live by taking the original plug to bits before wiring up the new
G

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 0

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Have you got a product code there at all, brianju?
This is the one that fitted ours at Halfords .... you can but try, maybe take a trip to your local branch, they might let you see if it fits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fag lighter sockets are simply unreliable depending on friction to hold them in and spring pressure to make a contact.
I would replace the fag lighter socket with a dedicated USB socket.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back