Usk Reservoir (1 Viewer)

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Just thinking about getting away this weekend and thought about heading from Cheltenham to Usk Reservoir area for a couple of nights. With it being a bank holiday is it likely to be really busy? Can anyone recommend places for overnighting?

Many thanks
Al.

OP
OP
aldhp21
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
I think you answered your own question perhaps

Last year on August Bank Holiday we went to Brecon and was surprised at how quiet it was, mind you the weather was sh*te. So we're going to give it a go again. My thinking being it's not too far from Cheltenham so we can always turn around. I'll let you know Monday :)

So the other question still remains, can anyone recommend places for overnighting by Usk reservoir?

Cheers
Al.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
To be honest Usk is not the most attractive place in Wales but there is quite a large layby on the right hand end of the dam as you look down the valley, I've stayed there the odd night.(y)
Other than that just drive around the res till you find somewhere better;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
aldhp21
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
To be honest Usk is not the most attractive place in Wales but there is quite a large layby on the right hand end of the dam as you look down the valley, I've stayed there the odd night.(y)
Other than that just drive around the res till you find somewhere better;)

Thanks Tim. Located a couple of possibles on google maps.

OP
OP
aldhp21
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
An update on our weekend.

Me, Lyn and Chester took the plunge on Friday and left Cheltenham mid morning. A bit of traffic around Monmouth as they seemed to be preparing for a carnival but most of the traffic appeared to be going the other way.

Arrived at Usk Reservoir about 2ish. Checked the car park which had about 8 cars in it, so drove around the accessible parts of the reservoir. When you get off the road onto the tracks, which are a bit tight as a couple of new scratches will confirm, there are signs saying “No Camping”. So we returned to the car park. By now only three cars remained. Parked up, checked satellite could get a signal and put kettle on. By 7pm it was only us and a man in a car. Had a quick chat with him and he’d driven here just to view the night sky.

The Friday night sky at midnight was fantastic. Not totally clear, a few cloud wisps, but the stars put on a show for us. An opportunity for me to practice night shots on my camera, with some mixed results. I obviously need a lot more practice.

Our plan was to move on to somewhere else on the Saturday morning but the sunrise greeting us told us to stay where we were. And we did, until Monday. We had enough food, an adequate selection of both rose and red wine, full tank of water and a near empty toilet cassette.

View from our bed in the morning.
IMG_4693edit.jpg

Sunset
IMG_4690edit.jpg

There are some great walks around the reservoir but Chester our ginger terrierist is now 13 so rather than long walks it was short and often, which restricted us a bit. I did venture out a bit further on my own with the camera but the 200-500 lens and tripod restricted me.

Lots of red kites on display. We even had a distant view of an osprey on Friday and Saturday, confirmed by the binoculars, a flock of meadow pipits, cormorants, pied and grey wagtails, and absolutely stunning views. I’ll drop some better photos on here later. I did miss what would have been the best shot of the weekend. A red kite dropping just 20 feet in front of me to take a fish off the top of the lake. I’m assuming it was a dead fish floating on the surface.

Over the weekend a few vehicles dropped into the car park, generally fishermen or people coming to walk the dog, but for the most part it was quiet and tranquil and the weather was gorgeous, spoilt only by the odd shower. Joining us on Sunday night a German camper van and another PVC but they kept themselves to themselves and there was plenty of room. In fact the only complaints I heard all weekend were the fishermen moaning about the smell of our breakfast cooking in the mornings.

On Monday we said goodbye after a late breakfast, Cranstons Cumberland sausages from Penrith, the best. Water down to 10%, toilet needing to be emptied and I’ve got work Tuesday. But one of those weekends where you say “This is why we bought a van”

Cheers
Alan & Lyn

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
When you say Usk Reservoir do you mean Llandegfedd ? or is there another one? was that the car park thats on 3 levels? sections? How much was parking? Its only down the road from me and might be a good place to "hide" for a night. Glad you had a good w/e

OP
OP
aldhp21
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
When you say Usk Reservoir do you mean Llandegfedd ? or is there another one? was that the car park thats on 3 levels? sections? How much was parking? Its only down the road from me and might be a good place to "hide" for a night. Glad you had a good w/e

No Llandegfedd is a different one. Usk is the one near Trecastle on the Northwest part of the beacons. Parking was free. The only meters there are to pay for your fishing.

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Just shows I fell into the trap of assuming Usk Reservoir would be the one I know of near Usk not miles from Usk, but on the Usk river! I will have to take a look next time I am on Epynt.

OP
OP
aldhp21
Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Some of the better photos I took at the weekend.

Sunset over the dam
DS0_4722 edit.jpg

Sunset over the west side
DS0_4732 edit.jpg

Attempt at the night sky. Had to raise exposure but it didn't come out to bad
DS0_4762 edit.jpg

Misty view on Sunday morning
DS0_5116 edit.jpg

But then the mist cleared for awesome reflection
DS0_5139 edit.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun