Mytravelcash has gone, so what's the best way for cash in Europe now? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
allways relied on Mytravelcash pre paid card for France, never the best rate, but everything free and 1% cash back , did everything through it , hole in the wall , and purchases, but now it's finished, not worried about it but with all the different ways that people on here get cash in Europe, what is the out and out best way to go now , credit card, debit card, another cash card , or just good old fashioned cash.
Any ideas?(y)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We have used Fairfx for years even when we lived in Portugal. Excellent service, and a good rate and even better bank transfer system for paying big bills. I suspect most of the other prepaids are much as good.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Revolut has been working well for me for a while. Easy to use and the phone app get better each update. Also have a Halifax credit card as a fall back.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Revolut with clarity as back up. Revolut is fee free in the UK as well as in the eurozone.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Revolut for me as well for cash. Still the best rate available anywhere.

Backed up by a Clarity card for purchases.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Always use Halifax Clarity have a Saga Credit card as back up and have it set up to be paid in full every month. I think Nation Wide have a good card too.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Revolut, post office credit card, caxton as a spare. I bank with Lloyds so would have to be desperate to use debit card.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Revolut card / app, one for me and one for the missus, N&P Debit Card and the Nationwide Credit Card as backup.
Cheers
Ed

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Minefield int it, favourites seem to be revolut and Halifax .
No mention of Caxton , that always used to be the one mentioned.
I'm moving towards cash but it's a lot to be carrying about, need some sort of backup.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I mentioned Caxton but we only still have it as one son did a TEFL course in Madrid and has just done Campamerica and is travelling and it means I can get money to him easily. He has Spanish and Uk bank accounts but the exchange rates are dreadful so I pretend I'm 'interbank' !

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right looking at this clarity card , very interested, but just one point I'd like to clear up, now I have a tesco cc, and on this if I pay it off all on time, I don't pay any interest at all,apart from cash withdrawals, but if I use it in France I have charges and interest but this clarity one says although there's no charge on cash withdrawals or usage there is interest , do you have to pay this interest even if you pay off in full on time.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Do France and Spain use chip and pin ?
Couple of years ago but seem to recall problems paying for fuel with credit card. Had to either get pre - approval in kiosk or mostly I think we ended up using cash.
Useful to know as after this poor summer weather Europe is looking favourite for next year.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Caxton. Has worked everywhere including Morocco. . No charges to take money out and you know the rate before you purchase currency.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Right looking at this clarity card , very interested, but just one point I'd like to clear up, now I have a tesco cc, and on this if I pay it off all on time, I don't pay any interest at all,apart from cash withdrawals, but if I use it in France I have charges and interest but this clarity one says although there's no charge on cash withdrawals or usage there is interest , do you have to pay this interest even if you pay off in full on time.
No pay off in full no interest :). We use clarity works really, did come across a few places that didn't take master card though :( so carry visa as well now

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I understood if you used a credit card to get cash the interest was payable from that day. Any credit card anywhere in the world (I guess there may be one or two exceptions).

I make sure Halifax credit card is in credit before I leave the UK. Then, no charge to take cash and no interest to pay. Any money left on the card at the end of the trip gets spent through normal credit card usage. The interest in the banks at the moment is minor so it's not a great loss to have some cash sitting on the CC. :)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Also depends what rate of exchange is used. All use a different one on the same day.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Clarity is fee free as long as you pay if off every month, no interest nothing. You get the interbank rate at the time of purchase. draw cash you pay interest just like other credit cards. I use revolut for cash and debit spending, again interbank rate and the app is brilliant, so much control over your spending and card. With revolut if you have euros left when you get home you can just transfers them back to £'s and spend them in the UK with no additional fees, caxton have a charge to spend in sterling, it even costs to check the balance with caxton.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Clarity card applied for and accepted, thanks guys, I'll give it some hammer next month and report back(y);):)

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Used to use Caxton but now use a Metro bank debit card. No charges and good exchange rate. I use a mobile app to transfer money from my normal bank to Metro and when I get phone I move anything left in the Metro account back to my normal bank. Done this for about a year and very pleased with it. As an example if I'd used the card yesterday I'd have got 1.15 euros to the pound.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Not on purchases, only on cash withdrawals.

Malcolm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back