Pre-Purchase Questions about Early 90s Fiat Ducato Hymers (3 Viewers)

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Hey. We're looking to purchase a small camper to travel Europe for a 6-8 months next year, and have been quite keen on something like these early 1990s Fiat Ducato based Hymers - especially the Short Wheel Base like this one.

I'm curious what known issues are inherent with these models? Anything that frequently fails, or could be an expensive surprise? I know that most cars, especially approaching this age, will have general issues mechanically, as well as with the body - but I also know that most vehicles have certain faults that are more common. I've learnt this the hard way with Mitsubishi Delicas... (but I still love them).

Oh, and don't worry about the space. It's just my wife and I. We're both in our early (just) 30s, and we've spent six months travelling in something far less comfortable than this without issue. We're more concerned with portability and economy.

Cheers!

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Would you not like something like this? A bit newer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
There are still a lot of early Hymers around. I would recommend looking at the 544 and 564 models. Slightly longer but an 'A Class' and probably more comfortable. Some say that Hymer quality deteriorated after 1994 but I have no evidence of this.

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
That's interesting. I wasn't aware that there were several variants of the engine available - though not sure from the article if they are only talking about post 1995 face-lifted versions. Anyone know if there are particular strengths/weakness between the different engine variants?

Would you not like something like this? A bit newer.

We would consider something like that Peugeot - shame there isn't more information in the description. We like the idea of not having to make a bed every night, but having a slightly narrower car is also very appealing. It's stretching the budget a little, but it's a capital investment if it doesn't break down, and can maintain most of its value at the end of the trip. I'll keep these models in mind, too!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have you got your insurance issues sorted out?

Also if you do go for the Hymer check the payload (even some of the small vans are very heavy) and that you can drive it on your licence. You'll need a C1 if it is plated in excess of 3,500Kg.

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Have you got your insurance issues sorted out?
I haven't yet... but it is my task for this week.

So far the short wheelbase models I've looked at have been sub 3,000kg, so should be OK weight wise. Good to know about the license though - thanks for the advice.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Anyone know if there are particular strengths/weakness between the different engine variants?
Weakness in all variants is the gearbox, especially 5th gear. Go for a 2.5 with a turbo, the 1.9TD is a little under powered as is the 2.5 non turbo. The 2.8id.TD is a great engine (but can still have gearbox problems).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Ducato

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Also if you do go for the Hymer check the payload (even some of the small vans are very heavy) and that you can drive it on your licence. You'll need a C1 if it is plated in excess of 3,500Kg.

Very good advice. Mine was plated at 3100kg and I had to have it uprated to 3500kg to give half decent payload.

Some early Hymers were fitted with 15" wheels. Look for the ones having 16" wheels which have uprated braking (so I have been told) and are easy to have replated to 3500kg. Power steering is also generally considered a "must".

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We looked at a few over the last week. Main issues seem to be rust around front wings, rust in the panel below the windscreen, especially the bottom corners, and the ones we saw all had corrosion in the body around the heater exhaust and other metal fixtures.
lovely vans though, unfortunately we couldn't find one down South that we felt confident buying.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our 2nd van ( but the first we actually USED ! Long story !! ) was 1989 Hobby C class on a Ducato chassis
It was the 2 litre diesel version and was amazingly reliable.
As others have said, I would be inclined to look at A class type though, as they do seem far roomier

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I haven't yet... but it is my task for this week.

So far the short wheelbase models I've looked at have been sub 3,000kg, so should be OK weight wise. Good to know about the license though - thanks for the advice.

This one
Link Removed

in your original link which being a Fiat is based on the Ducato ultra short wheel based van chassis & here is called a 'Talento' In Peugeot guise it is a 'J5' , the Citroen version is called a c25 & there was even an alfa romeo version !!
The Mam on the one on your link would only be 2350 kgs with the chassis cab before conversion weighing 1790 kgs.
It is lucky if there is 150 kgs of capacity & that is before the driver gets in.:LOL:

P.S Having just noticed you live in London that model under 2,5Tonnes & diesel, is exempt from the LEZ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back