Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
From a number of threads people have fallen head over heels to argue they are not Gypsies or travellers so I thought I would just quote the following legal definition.
In planning law Travellers are Gypsies there is no distinction. Travellers may be new age old age or any age in between again no distinction.

Gypsies are
"Persons of nomadic habit of life whatever their race or origin, including such persons who on the grounds only of their own or their family's or dependants' educational or health needs or old age have ceased to travel temporarily or permanently but excluding members of an organised group of travelling show people or circus people travelling together as such"

"Gypsies are defined as persons of a nomadic habit of life" who travel for a purpose, normally ( but not necessarily) looking for work

Following the sun is a purpose, searching out new fishing grounds is a purpose looking for new experiences is a purpose.
So in the eyes of the law we are all gypsies and as in any group of people there are good and bad. just because I am deemed to be a gypsy does not make me a fly tipping thief or ripoff antisocial parasite. I resent any inference that I am.
It is time for people to get off of their high horses and accept they are gypsies, time to be proud of the fact and rejoice in it. We are lucky to be able to travel some fulltime, some part time. We are all travellers. I tinker with things on my smallholding so guess I am also a tinker.
I think therefore I am so am also a thinker.
I am a miserable old git as well. Call me whatever you will as long as its not late for dinner.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i couldnt have put it better. wildman we could be twins.ha ha. i live that same life . build campers on the front lawn (posh now had it tarmaced by my gypsy friends last year).spray cars vans do welding and fabricate things . most of the street take interest whats happening. could be a bus to a truck or small van. travel a lot .so i am definately like a gypsy. have fun .i do. alan.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Me a gypsy - no - Just an Old Age Traveller:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Several years back now, a couple of gypsies (or travellers) call them what you will, called on my wifes grand parents offering to tarmac their drive, feeling confused and intimidated (both of them were very old) they agreed. When the job was done the price had increased well beyond that originally discussed and well beyond what they had or could afford. The situation got very nasty, phone calls between family had male members rushing from all over to the scene. To cut a long story short the episode caused great distress and as a result both grand parents passed away shortly after.

You seriously want me to consider myself a Itinerant because I love motorhoming.....you gotta be F------ joking!!!!!!!!!!

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
In planning law Travellers are Gypsies there is no distinction. Travellers may be new age old age or any age in between again no distinction.

Itinerant then hee hee

Gypsy is not and should not be used as a derogatory term, to do so is Racist whether intended or not

Now where did I hear that not so long ago :winky:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
howdy lufcdave7 it says on your avatar builder is that cowboy or body builder .we have seen your type on programs on the telly .calling on old folk and fixing roofs that dont need doing . cowboy builders are very common it seems .are you into horse riding aswell ?

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Several years back now, a couple of gypsies (or travellers) call them what you will, called on my wifes grand parents offering to tarmac their drive, feeling confused and intimidated (both of them were very old) they agreed. When the job was done the price had increased well beyond that originally discussed and well beyond what they had or could afford. The situation got very nasty, phone calls between family had male members rushing from all over to the scene. To cut a long story short the episode caused great distress and as a result both grand parents passed away shortly after.

You seriously want me to consider myself a Itinerant because I love motorhoming.....you gotta be F------ joking!!!!!!!!!!

Just because I am deemed to be a gypsy does not make me a fly tipping thief or ripoff antisocial parasite.
Sorry to hear that. BTW how much to tarmac my drive :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Gypsy is not and should not be used as a derogatory term, to do so is Racist whether intended or not

Now where did I hear that not so long ago :winky:

exactly it is not a derogatory term and I never used it as such. That sentiment just reinforces my point. Playing with words for fun is not derogatory most people realise that, unfortunately there are still some who don't.

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
howdy lufcdave7 it says on your avatar builder is that cowboy or body builder .we have seen your type on programs on the telly .calling on old folk and fixing roofs that dont need doing . cowboy builders are very common it seems .are you into horse riding aswell ?

Jims post about Friendly Arguments and no personal attacks went down well then :roflmto:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the purpose of my post was to point out not all poeple should be tarred with the same brush. Putting people in little boxes is never fair to all those involved. We might as well say no human being is to be trusted. I sought to do so in a lighthearted way. I know in the adrenaline rush that can follow reading something that you agree or dissagree with things get said that shouldn't so please guys and gals discuss not disgust. I only take it personally when you drink my banana yum yum without asking.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
exactly it is not a derogatory term and I never used it as such. That sentiment just reinforces my point. Playing with words for fun is not derogatory most people realise that, unfortunately there are still some who don't.

Are you saying using the term Itinerant is not classed as derogatory whether intended or not . (your quote to me in a previous post ) They never accepted that argument about saying Paki (in fun ) instead of Pakistani. Explain the difference for ,those of us who don,t understand .

P.S. I,m being the Devils advocate , nothing personal intended

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
geoff587, i,m sure anybody can see i was joking. it was not meant in any way derogatry and i,m sure it was accepted as a funny question. we cannot all be tarred as others have said. there are alot of programs on about builders how does the individual tell the difference?i could say you are now causing an argument .i hope you can just say comments in fun or do we just keep our nose out and not have a forum.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Being the Devils advocate, are you saying using the term Itinerant is not classed as derogatory whether intended or not . (your quote to me in a previous post ) They never accepted that argument about saying Paki (in fun ) instead of Pakistani. Explain the difference for us who don,t understand .

Good point, calling a Gypsy a Itinerant is not derogatory, calling a Pakistani a Paki is not derogatory, Just as Jock, Paddy, Taffy, Limies or Yanks are not derogatory but generic through use. However calling an asian a Paki when he is not from Pakistan would be concidered derogatory. Does calling a shark a shark constitute a derogatory term, well only if the afformentioned creature was not a fish of the Shark family. I rest my case milad.
terms are only derogatory if one makes it so. Words are words. Most of us were raised in times when the pc brigade were still a twinkle in someone eye and used many terms today thought by some to be derogatory other use them without thinking, when no offence was intended why should it be taken.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and just who's gonna tell Tony Santara (and others) he's a gypsy to his face ? !!!!!!!!!!:Eeek:

Tony is a truck driver.....he drives with the intention of getting his load to the final destination.....that gives him a purpose for travelling, thus, he is a pik...gypsy.:thumb:

i aint telling him....are you?:winky:

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
i guess we are all gypos of one type or another , riding planet earth through the universe !!!:Smile::

regards rayval,:Smile:

forever young :thumb:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
and just who's gonna tell Tony Santara (and others) he's a gypsy to his face ? !!!!!!!!!!:Eeek:

Tony is a truck driver.....he drives with the intention of getting his load to the final destination.....that gives him a purpose for travelling, thus, he is a pik...gypsy.:thumb:

i aint telling him....are you?:winky:
And that John is the very problem with trying to define people as whatever, but there you go I'll tell him, hee hee. not afraid of owt me. when will it finally sink in we are all individuals we are all different no boxes, no derogatory meanings behind general terms, legal or not as the case may be. People who live in glass houses shouldn't, hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dictionary: Gyp·sy Gip·sy (jĭp'sē) Link Removed

Sponsored Links
Gypsy Book
By Lesley Pearse - £3.99 Latest Books at Play.com!
www.Play.com/Gypsy
GPSNavX for Mac
Marine Navigation & Weather. Maptech BSB Raster & ENC Vector.
www.gpsnavx.com

Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary

also n., pl., -sies, also -sies.
  1. A member of a people that arrived in Europe in migrations from northern India around the 14th century, now also living in North America and Australia. Many Gypsy groups have preserved elements of their traditional culture, including an itinerant existence and the Romany language.
  2. See Romany (sense 2).
  3. gypsy One inclined to a nomadic, unconventional way of life.
  4. A person who moves from place to place as required for employment, especially:
    1. A part-time or temporary member of a college faculty.
    2. A member of the chorus line in a theater production.
[Alteration of Middle English gypcian, short for Egipcien, Egyptian (so called because Gypsies were thought to have come from Egypt).]

Columbia Encyclopedia: Romany Top
Home > Library > Miscellaneous > Columbia Encyclopedia

Romany (rŏm'ənē, rō'-), language belonging to the Dardic group of the Indo-Iranian subfamily of the Indo-European family of languages (see Indo-Iranian languages). The mother tongue of the Link Removed, Romany has about 2 million speakers, largely outside India. The Gypsies apparently began migrating from NW India westward before the 9th cent. A.D. and had reached SE Europe before the 14th cent. They now live principally in central and E Europe and in Spain, although there are groups in the Western Hemisphere as well. Romany has three main dialectal groups: Asian, Armenian, and European. In grammar it can be traced back to Sanskrit. It has borrowed considerable vocabulary from the languages of the various peoples among whom its speakers have lived and roamed. There is no important literature in Romany, but some biblical translations into Romany exist, for which both the Roman and Cyrillic alphabets were used. Bibliography
See J. Sampson, The Dialect of the Gypsies of Wales (1925); R. L. Turner, Position of Romani in Indo-Aryan (1927); J. Kochanowski

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
"Gypsies are defined as persons of a nomadic habit of life" who travel for a purpose, normally ( but not necessarily) looking for work

Following the sun is a purpose, searching out new fishing grounds is a purpose looking for new experiences is a purpose.
So in the eyes of the law we are all gypsies and as in any group of people there are good and bad. just because I am deemed to be a gypsy does not make me a fly tipping thief or ripoff antisocial parasite. I resent any inference that I am.
It is time for people to get off of their high horses and accept they are gypsies, time to be proud of the fact and rejoice in it. We are lucky to be able to travel some fulltime, some part time. We are all travellers. I tinker with things on my smallholding so guess I am also a tinker.
I think therefore I am so am also a thinker.
I am a miserable old git as well. Call me whatever you will as long as its not late for dinner.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Personally, I don't consider myself to be a gypsy. Sure, we use our motorhome for holidays, but for the remaining 40 odd weeks a year, we are firmly settled house dwellers, quite content within our unmoving bricks and mortar.

Agreed, you could possibly use the legal definition to class a 'full-timer' as a gypsy, but I'm afraid us holiday makers just don't fall into this catagory.

As an aside, I do believe that 'Gypsy' is quite often used as a derogatory term these days.
Period. I didn't make it derogatory, you didn't make it derogatory, but it just is.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Under the strict interpreptation we are for 8 months a year Gipsys, but what makes use different from those born to it is that we pay taxes, NHS stamps, own a house with the taxes that go with it, I have insurance and a valid MOT and tax disk, I live on my pension and savings.

The other kind do it a little diffrent.

Doug....

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
but what makes use different from those born to it is that we pay taxes, NHS stamps, own a house with the taxes that go with it,
But where does that leave the full timers who no longer pay rates for the water they use and the sewage they dispose off? Does that make them gypsies if they no longer have a house and are old enough not to have to pay a stamp?
We 'travel' a lot but maintain a house so pay rates but were we to sell the house we would then by your definition be gypsies. I have no intention of ever tarmacing someones drive (not even my own) but may well become a full time traveller - I still would not be born into the gypsy way of life.
I do not believe it is possible for anyone to constantly evade MOT, tax and insurance.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
But where does that leave the full timers who no longer pay rates for the water they use and the sewage they dispose off? Does that make them gypsies if they no longer have a house and are old enough not to have to pay a stamp?
We 'travel' a lot but maintain a house so pay rates but were we to sell the house we would then by your definition be gypsies. I have no intention of ever tarmacing someones drive (not even my own) but may well become a full time traveller - I still would not be born into the gypsy way of life.
I do not believe it is possible for anyone to constantly evade MOT, tax and insurance.
The definition a gypsy or not has nothing to do with evading taxes or anything you mention it is to do with the travelling the nomadic existance. It specifically does not mention being born to a way of life, as I originally said the definition in law covers travellers , new age old age, any age. Everything else is incidental and outside the scope of this thread. What you pay or don't is no ones business but your own. In Devon we pay the highest water rates in the country because of tourism, yet people have the temerity to question the fact that when elsewhere in the country I fill up with their water for free, but there you go you have side tracked me, hee hee:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Been looking at all of this - and doing a strange thing - thinking - all my life I have paid taxes like a good person and NI etc and if I had been classified as a gypsy i could have avoided it. That started another thought:Eeek: I don't do tarmacing - I'am no good at making peg --- SO - anyone for a sprig of lucky heather :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That is the problem in any language. When written it does not convey the meaning the writer intended adequately.

I have met and even enjoyed the company of people who use 4 letter words as punctuation and have not taken offence because I knew they didn't mean any harm. On other occasions I have taken offence at a minor curse word because it was evident from the tone of voice what was intended.

For me Gypsy / Itinerant etc are not offensive if there was no offence intended.

Let's now leave the gypos, pakis, eyeties, spiks, micks, jocks, honkys, et al alone and have a go at Hymer drivers. We don't want any Hymies next door do we:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back