Were to stay in a hired motor home (1 Viewer)

Paulfy4

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
evening everyone

We are hiring a MH at half term 30/October to 4/Nov and we are after advise were to go in Scotland,we are using it as an experiment for the purchase of our first MH

Any help or advise God or not would be greatly appreciated

Regards and thanks
Paul

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We love visiting Scotland. I would suggest having two route options according to the weather.

Either visit Edinburgh and the east of Scotland returning via Lochs Ness & Lomond or the west and visit the Isle of Mull or Skye.

I would not try and do too much in the week; Scotland is too nice to rush and many of the roads aren't fast. Also, some people may find that they spend more time sorting out their MH ready for travelling in the morning and getting ready for supper / bed than they had expected. On top of visiting sites / walking etc. time flies.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Half term, have you got school age kids then? That will have a big influence on what you do.

My lot (5, 9 & 11 at the time) loved the Landmark Forest Park near Aviemore. We then made our way across to Mull, to the unbelievably lovely Fidden Farm campsite - truly stunning scenery there, can't recommend it highly enough.

Be warned though, if the weather is bad then there wouldn't be a lot to do that didn't involve getting wet and/or cold!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Paulfy4

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Great thanks for the replies we are hoping to settle in a couple of sites and spend as much time as possible using the motor home as a learning curve,we have two boys 13 and 20 who are quite happy just chilling/football/fishing/playing cards just general family time

Thanks again
Regards Paul

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
As a first time I like your plan of just using two sites BUT being half term have you booked in advance? It might be an idea, it's late in the season but still very popular as a "last" week away (y)
Have a great time and enjoy.:D

OP
OP
P

Paulfy4

Free Member
Aug 21, 2016
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
True never thought about it that way,thanks for your help and time

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Don't forget winter woollies it may be extra cold up there at that time of year!!
Make sure that when you pick up the van they explain how the heating water etc works and perhaps get one of your boys to video it on their phones for future reference!!! It all gets so confusing when you first set off!! But you will soon get into the groove!!
Blue jobs ie toilet emptying is a mans job! ( they like to chat at the chemical emptying facility!!!)
Enjoy!!!

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I'd stick to a smallish area and do it properly, rather than trying to cover too much of the country. Google Fidden Farm and see if it appeals - you can't book, but they're never full, although when busy the best spots next to the beach will be full. Should be ok when you're going though. the perfect campsite to chill out at, I just sat outside alternating between reading a book and staring at the gorgeous scenery! You can literally park a few feet from the beach.

If that appeals there are a few other campsites where you're right on the beach on the West Coast.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ness and Lomond great advice you have received! Sorry, just realised I am speaking like Yoda. Seriously these are great places to visit. I believe there is a site very near to drumnordrochit (spelling?) wld be ideal for Loch Ness.
My little girl is desperate to visit the Loch, but only because she wants to see thee monster! :D

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Ness and Lomond great advice you have received! Sorry, just realised I am speaking like Yoda. Seriously these are great places to visit. I believe there is a site very near to drumnordrochit (spelling?) wld be ideal for Loch Ness.
My little girl is desperate to visit the Loch, but only because she wants to see thee monster! :D
Tell her she won't!! We loved the lake but the Loch Ness Experience was not for us ,mind you kids might love it!!

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Aviemore
Lots of activities and a couple of sites that are open all year.
Remember it gets dark quickly by November

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Google Fidden Farm and see if it appeals - you can't book, but they're never full, although when busy the best spots next to the beach will be full.

If that appeals there are a few other campsites where you're right on the beach on the West Coast.

Just the sort of site we like. Any other recommendations would be gratefully received:)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
It might be worth considering the "extras" that you get as part of your hire deal. I was at the Camping & Caravanning Club (CCC for short, as opposed to CC for Caravan Club) when a "hire" MH turned up. They were initially quoted something like £20 per night but that increased to £30 when it was discovered they had CC membership but not CCC membership as part of their rental. It used to be possible to take out a 1month membership (although an annual membership is less than £50: some folk will tell you that it's not worth it but some have both).

You should also consider use of electricity (EHU - electric hook up). At that time of year you will probably benefit from an electric heater of some description (we have a thermostatically controlled fan heater, with timer, but it can get a little noisy). Also, will you want to watch DVDs (in the evening?) so will you need a laptop with a large screen? Will there be space for you all to sit and see it easily? Would it be better to have 2 smaller devices and earphones? Or is the van equipped with these facilities?

Enjoy your holiday - Gordon

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Best site for Loch Ness is at Foyers, never seen the monster though.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
If you only have a week and are traveling to Scotland from Blackpool then I would consider not going too far. Dumfries & Galloway is a beautiful area and has lots to see and do and it will mean that you are not spending all of your time driving, which is not so interesting for the rest of the family.

Whatever you do have a great time. (y)

KH

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
If you only have a week and are traveling to Scotland from Blackpool then I would consider not going too far. Dumfries & Galloway is a beautiful area and has lots to see and do and it will mean that you are not spending all of your time driving, which is not so interesting for the rest of the family.

Whatever you do have a great time. (y)

KH
I second that - not too far from Blackpool and some of the villages along the coast are lovely.
If the kids like MTB there are some cracking trails.
Don't want to sicken everyone by driving all day.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back