Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I hired a boat on the Thames for a day last weekend for the Granddaughters birthday. Electric powered and very good.

While at the boatyard I noticed a sign for Red Derv at £1-00 per litre.
:Eeek:

I thought the whole point of RED derv was that it was tax free(er) and therefore CHEAP

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
It depends on the area,, in Weymouth the marine tanker sells for approx 80P litre.

The government in their wisdom are trying and suceeding to bring it in line with normal garage pump prices.

Commercial fishermen can claim the vat back which brings it down considerably, also they can claim something else back (the name of slips my mind at the moment). Something to do with emmisions and engine size for boat,, "I think"..

So watch the cost of your Friday night Fish N Chips start to rise drasticly in the next year or so.. :Sad:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Was under the impresion that the government have stopped the tax free allowance for pleasure craft, some time ago.
Didnt think it was legal anymore to use cherry in pleasure boats.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
Was under the impresion that the government have stopped the tax free allowance for pleasure craft, some time ago.
Didnt think it was legal anymore to use cherry in pleasure boats.
ye i belive you have to be a comerical boat now to use the bujolis stuff

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
All marine diesel in still red whether it is used for pleasure or commercial.

Commercial (Fishing and Charter) boats do not pay the fuel duty now slapped on by this robbing governmment.

Pleasure can purchase red diesel on a split ratio, I have to pay full whack on 60% and no duty on 40% as the lower amount is used for heating and electricity generation in theory.

Peter

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
All marine diesel in still red whether it is used for pleasure or commercial.

Commercial (Fishing and Charter) boats do not pay the fuel duty now slapped on by this robbing governmment.

Pleasure can purchase red diesel on a split ratio, I have to pay full whack on 60% and no duty on 40% as the lower amount is used for heating and electricity generation in theory.

Peter

Here you go "Peter" stick these on your bow,, (PE6425) and hang a bit of smelly old fishing net over the stern, (Transom/back of Boat), for non nautical types. :winky: "Sorted".. :thumb::winky:

"ALL" your VAT back..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think its like anything else.......the retailer can charge what they think the market will stand.

if theres no other retailer for miles what do you do.....run out of fuel and push the boat.::bigsmile:

incidently...if you put red in a normal tank the dye remains in the tank long after the original red has been used.

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
i think its like anything else.......the retailer can charge what they think the market will stand.

if theres no other retailer for miles what do you do.....run out of fuel and push the boat.::bigsmile:

incidently...if you put red in a normal tank the dye remains in the tank long after the original red has been used.

2-3 years regular use with un coloured before the dye is cleared and even then customs and excise can tell.. :cry:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We ran a fleet of off-road Ivecos and wanted to run one on the raod. HM Customs required us to change the fuel tank, all pipework, and fuel pump before running on duty paid fuel. Not worth the bother so we bought another truck.

You can only run a vehicle on the road using red rather than derv up to 10 km. a week or something, i.e crossing a road between stockyards or similar.

Bill

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Sorry guys but Red Derv has never been.

Derv is