LED reel light (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys

Am I right in thinking that a 12v LED reel light can be connected directly to a 12v power supply, or is there some kind of transformer or starter?

Amazon product ASIN B00QX6HKGC
Thanks very much

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Should be able to connect straight to 12v, beware though, LED's are polarity sensitive!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Should be able to connect straight to 12v, beware though, LED's are polarity sensitive!
It's really weird
The reel lights have a push fit connector at the beginning and two bare wires at the far end (red and black)

I wanted to test them before fixing so connected a 12v supply to the bare wires at the far end - didn't work (checked polarity)

I then found a 240v plug in torch charger with the same fitting as the one at the beginning of the cable. They worked

Any ideas why?
I'd rather connect them directly to the 12v circuit than use the torch charger, which needs my inverter to be on,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
They should work off 12v , and as previously mentioned they are polarity sensitive

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
you need a starter box and check their IP rating ,if you go into a decent Electrical wholesallers such as Newy and Ayre they will be able to provide you with all the correct info:)

Most of the LED strips are for indoor use only

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
They are supplied with their own controllers
The ones I bought anyway:)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
If you look on eBay they sell kits with everything that you need. You may not want everything but at least it will give you an idea as to what's needed and what goes where. Inside, mine are wired from the 12v with an inline fuse to the control box which also has the IR remote sensor wire plus the pos & neg connections. These plugged into the LED light strip. Where the light goes around a corner (overhead cupboards mood lighting) you can buy angle connectors.

I also have multi coloured LED strip on the underside of the awning box. These I wired directly into the outside 12v awning light and these have a good IP water resistance.

MMM did a feature last year on fitting them if you read it and have old editions still.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks guys for your input

I just read the EBay product description again and it says that the lights can be connected directly to a 12v supply.

Have ordered a male connector to allow me to wire directly into the pre fitted female socket. Hopefully they should then work directly off my 12v circuit, rather than using my 240v torch charger, which is the wrong amperage.

Will post a pic when it's finished

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hope it all works for you, you shouldn't need any sort of starter at all, just watch the polarity. I did our van out replacing all the fluorescents with LED's and it works a treat.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hope it all works for you, you shouldn't need any sort of starter at all, just watch the polarity. I did our van out replacing all the fluorescents with LED's and it works a treat.
Thanks for that
In the product description it mentioned polarity and said simply to reverse the wires if you get them the wrong way round - so no permanent damage.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Thanks for that
In the product description it mentioned polarity and said simply to reverse the wires if you get them the wrong way round - so no permanent damage.
True, no damage to van or led (y)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
All fitted and working
Full width garage lighting using LED reel lights

image.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Very posh. :)(y)

Richard.
Thanks Richard
The standard fit Carthago strip light was next to useless.
Just need to get the LED floor tiles fitted and it will be like a disco in there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back