Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
Hi all we have been away in France for a month and really enjoyed it - pottered around Normandy, Britany and down to the Vendee before heading back to Cherbourg in mid August.

a couple of things........

I started a thread awhile ago about backup meals and one of the main meals that people had stored was Cassoulet. I had a super cassoulet in Carcassonne a couple of years ago so we bought a tin this time from a supermarket (superu, geant, eleclerc, intermarchie - not sure which but many others are available!!) and I have to say we were not impressed. Heavy, stodgy with basic bland port sausages and other bits of "pork".Therefore can I suggest that you check your backup tins !!!! They may not be quite what you are expecting !!

really noticed the difference in costs this year - quick example - I wanted to buy a brush to attach to a hose for cleaning the van - E54.00 - about £45.00 for a £15 brush. Went into Decathalon and saw a basic polo shirt E99.99 ..... eyewatering.

finally nearly got ourselves killed - watch the video.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all we have been away in France for a month and really enjoyed it - pottered around Normandy, Britany and down to the Vendee before heading back to Cherbourg in mid August.

a couple of things........

I started a thread awhile ago about backup meals and one of the main meals that people had stored was Cassoulet. I had a super cassoulet in Carcassonne a couple of years ago so we bought a tin this time from a supermarket (superu, geant, eleclerc, intermarchie - not sure which but many others are available!!) and I have to say we were not impressed. Heavy, stodgy with basic bland port sausages and other bits of "pork".Therefore can I suggest that you check your backup tins !!!! They may not be quite what you are expecting !!

really noticed the difference in costs this year - quick example - I wanted to buy a brush to attach to a hose for cleaning the van - E54.00 - about £45.00 for a £15 brush. Went into Decathalon and saw a basic polo shirt E99.99 ..... eyewatering.

finally nearly got ourselves killed - watch the video.

Wouldn't have expected any other from the tanker, it's what they do.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Ze French can be nuts. Up to you what you post online but your camera at 5 secs is suggesting you were just over the speed limit. :). I would shorten the clip :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ze French can be nuts. Up to you what you post online but your camera at 5 secs is suggesting you were just over the speed limit. :). I would shorten the clip :)
Nothing to do with me and not up to me to comment, but if I'd been in that situation I would have slowed right down to let him go , because as I said , it's what they do, better safe than sorry.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I would have been rammed into the side, OP did well. Language constrained as well. :)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Was it possibly a "Priorité à droite" junction - there still are a few of them about! :eek:

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Tinned cassoulet was suggested as a thing to have in the cupboard as emergency supply not a gourmet meal.
Depending on who makes it the prices vary from €1 up to €5 or €6 a tin and the quality differs as you would expect. Eat it in a restaurant and you will be paying a whole lot more.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
really noticed the difference in costs this year

we have never found France cheap.. meat, fish, chicken, expensive.. eggs milk etc , basic groceries are either the same or more expensive than the UK .. veg at farmers market is fresher but not cheap..

years ago fuel was cheap.. not anymore.. diesel is cheaper, but not cheap... and petrol is now the same or more expensive in France

fags were cheaper.. don't smoke now..

wine.. no idea .. don't drink .. I'm guessing cheaper..

camping sites.. basic municipal sites and aires ..cheaper ... but not always.. some aires are now €15 .. I can get a UK site with 16A EHU for £12 .. a basic CL for £5

Big commercial sites .. they are expensive

Eating out.. don't do it, but looking at prices on boards .. not cheap either ..

Autoroute tolls are expensive.. ok you don't need to use... but they are more expensive than our Mways and German Autobahns ..

We go to France for the weather and they abundance of good aires and places to park.. not because it is cheaper..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back