Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Calais at night

I think I'll stick to daylight hours

From MCN -

""If you want to get through safely, don’t travel at night." That was the advice imparted to me at Passport Control by a UK Border Agent as I left France in the dark early hours of Monday morning. It wasn’t casually offered, he was responding to my probably still ashen face, and my attempt at a diffusingly jovial “It’s all going on out on the approach road tonight,” comment as I was processed through passport control.

But there was nothing jovial about the experience. What now feels like a ghoulish aberration in the night was unfortunately very real.

The road was deserted as I approached the Eurotunnel terminal at Calais at around 4am, no lights ahead, and none behind on either carriageway. I was riding at the speed limit, in no rush knowing that I was an hour early for the next available crossing. What happened next left my muscles pulsing with adrenaline for an hour afterwards.

Out of the darkness there was suddenly fire by the central reservation. With no traffic in either direction I knew an accident wasn’t to blame, and suddenly the simmering unease I’d felt at passing through in the darkness came sharply to the front of my mind. The next couple of seconds – it can’t have been longer – passed with impressively lucid definition.

As my attention went to the fire and the instant belief that it was an intentional act, the 1290’s headlamp suddenly picked out a dark ridge across the road, from central reservation to the barrier the other side. I couldn’t tell what it was just yet, but a fraction of a second later it gained enough definition to be a clear ridge of hay. It looked like a large speed hump, and I had no idea what was the other side – or under the hay. But I knew I was alone on the road, and very vulnerable on a bike. The fire only started when I was around 50 metres from it, which meant whoever set it was still there. I couldn’t usefully second-guess the motivation (to disrupt traffic flow – to get people to stop for, well, whatever reason – or to cause an accident?), but I knew there were two reasons why I only had one option open to me. The first was that the obstacle was already very close – I could scrub off a lot of speed, but I was going to hit it regardless, and hitting it on the brakes would almost certainly result in a crash. The second was that I wasn’t at all keen on the unknown ramifications of stopping.

With the knowledge that I was hitting it either way, I very consciously moved my weight back and opened the throttle with no real certainty of what I was about to hit. The impact was hard enough that my thumbs still hurt from the bars whacking into my hands, but having briefly taken off and landed again I was relieved to still be upright – that felt like a good result at this point. I was now off the throttle, but I wasn’t going to stop. Dropping my speed to around 60kmh, my brain was racing to rationalise what had just happened. Behind me the fire was now widespread, and the KTM felt suddenly odd beneath me. But I still wasn’t stopping. I got a warning message on the GT’s dash to say that the cornering lights had failed, and scrolling through the menu revealed that the rear tyre pressure sensor wasn’t giving a reading either. I started to fear a punctured tyre, but while everything felt odd, nothing felt broken.

Only a short distance further on, I rounded a right-hander to a sea of brake lights and police. I should have felt relieved, but being forced to stop – albeit with the police there – was making me very nervous. I suddenly felt extremely exposed sat on the bike. I had no choice though, filtering halted by the tightly packed vehicles, and the road ahead blocked by branches dragged onto the carriageway. I pulled in between a lorry and a motorhome, and killed the engine. Once I’d stopped I was immediately aware of smoke. Looking down it was clear that I’d dragged a sizeable sheaf of hay with me, jammed around the oil cooler and exhausts, which was now smouldering. Fearful that it might ignite I had no choice other than to get off the bike and pull it all free. As we waited for the police to clear enough debris from the road for us to continue I was conscious that nothing else had arrived behind us, so presumably the cars I’d passed over previous miles had been forced to stop at the obstacle I’d hit. With the way ahead clear of the biggest debris, we all edged over remnants of broken branches and cautiously carried on, before shortly being stopped again as the police battled to clear another barricade of branches from the carriageway. In all three instances I never saw a single person on the carriageway – other than the police.

Once through to the nearly deserted terminal everything was suddenly normal, and only the border agent’s words of advice stood out as a new part of the experience. I pulled into the deserted holding lane and stopped at the barrier, still trying to get my head round what had just happened.

While there’s a fairly simple and matter of fact answer to that, it’s still galling. There’s no damage to the GT – cornering lights and TPS having all reset themselves – and none to me. I could second-guess the motivations all day, and achieve nothing – but I know that I feel angry about what the outcome could have been. It could so easily have been catastrophic for me and my family – and if I’d hit the second or third blockades, there would have been no chance of avoiding a crash. I also feel stupid that while I was aware of a few terrible incidents on the road in recent months, I was completely unaware of this near-nightly game that gets played out on the tarmac between the migrants/refugees and the police (an internet search reveals many incidents).

I’m not writing this to either vilify or defend anyone – but to hopefully make others who may be riding or driving through the terminal aware that danger does lurk in the darkness on the road to Calais. When I travelled south two days earlier – in the daytime – I’d seen no hint of problems at all, giving me a very false sense of security.

If you’re passing through the terminal soon, I hope you’ll remember the border agent’s words and not ignore the potential threat (as I probably would have). I can vouch for the value of his advice, and feel very lucky to have come through the experience with nothing more lasting than a sense of unease – and a single strand of hay that was still wrapped around the footrest when I got home."

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...lais-blockade/

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I wonder why a motorcyclist would be going through at 4 am. It's not as if he had somewhere to kip on either side as a motirhomer would. Must have been desperate to reach the UK or to gets crossing a few pounds cheaper.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wonder why a motorcyclist would be going through at 4 am. It's not as if he had somewhere to kip on either side as a motirhomer would. Must have been desperate to reach the UK or to gets crossing a few pounds cheaper.
Must admit , it sounds a bit of a fairy story to me, might well be wrong nearly always am just my feeling:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Not experienced that ... a quick search of twitter which normaly has pretty accurate news on it has no stories of eurotunnel approaches being blocked by migrants recently

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Very similar story on Facebook,,except she said immigrants charged down a hill on to the carriageway at a place near the terminal where there are twin 8 foot fences either side and the carriageway is higher than the non existent hill charged down,,beggars belief,,BUSBY,,

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
It's MCN, which in bike circles is known as More Crap than News

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Seems to be plenty of news stories about this sort of thing in the last few weeks. No doubt the story has some sensationalised tweaks but the overall advice is probably sound. Broken Link Removed

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Seems to be plenty of news stories about this sort of thing in the last few weeks. No doubt the story has some sensationalised tweaks but the overall advice is probably sound. Broken Link Removed

I think as you say the story is sensationalised or might be invented, either way I think travelling late at night early morning through the port or the tunnel is asking for trouble, common sense not to.

OP
OP
Scotties

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
I would normally agree with most of the comments and I know you guys have a lot more experience, but chatting to the guard on our last Italian jaunt he said quote 'I won't get back to the UK tonight as the next train after ten and the migrants play up after dark.'

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Again. I don't think these problems are particularly related to the tunnel I read two of the stories linked above from Google and they were on about the port approach.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes, I saw the news, 9000 migrants in Calais with violent traffickers laying barricades and attacking lorries.:Eeek:
They are trying to stop the trucks but there's cars and bikes on those ferries too. Deputy mayor wants the armies help to stop it. Why not just bulldoze the camp?

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Glad I haven't booked my crossing yet for next months trip

It's definitely going to be in the daylight!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A few weeks ago I arrived in Calais on my bike at about 18:00. No hint of trouble. Stayed overnight in a hotel, I didn't want to ride all night. Rode to tunnel. Came home.

I did have one incident, a blind Frog pulled out in front of me in broad sunlit daylight and I tested how well ABS works on a bike. I was quite impressed.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I always travel to tunnel around midnight = cheapest time and as yet havnt seen any problems. Once we did see some migrants walking towards Calais about a dozen of them but no trouble. Perhaps we could start a tunnel/port watch and notify people whats going on as and when we see it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
I was gassed and had my A Frame stolen,,,BUSBY:):)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just watched a BBC news report on this where they were allegedly on a motorway and came across a felled tree across the carriageway, pitch dark and nobody else around except suspicious looking characters in the hedgerow

no other traffic at all for several minutes

Sorry I just don't believe it really happened

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
just watched a BBC news report on this where they were allegedly on a motorway and came across a felled tree across the carriageway, pitch dark and nobody else around except suspicious looking characters in the hedgerow

Fully agree,,,if it was that bad i think there would be lots more publicity. Keep hearing about mishaps on vehicles exiting Calais,,surely these immigrants are not that stupid. We cross 7 th Sept,,will report back,,,BUSBY.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

I agree with you, but where have the pictures come from, can't be made up surely(n)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
it would appear to have some truth to it , there is a greater risk of problems if you cross in the dark

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Approaching Calais in the daylight hours is probably sensible. If only to better see the obstacles. I did not have this problem in mind when I booked our 09.50 train but I will still take credit is there is any available.

Do you any envisage any similar problem with Remainers in Folkestone or Dover if Brexit ever happens?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It was reported on BBC news yesterday and warnings on the news this morning to take extra care in the area at night .

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Could be nothing about cheap crossing but may be they had to get back for work, We used to come back years ago from Pool or Plymouth back to home (near Okehampton) grab an hour's sleep if I had time & go straight to work, Mrs D would go to bed, she worked nights :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back