Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Hello,
We are Lee & Angeline. We are "Go Humberto!"

After around a quarter of a century of camping, starting with our 1 year-old son and a "Relum" frame tent (in the frosty Peak District) we have progressed (some hard-core campers may say regressed) to Motorhome ownership.

I've lost count of how many Sunday afternoons we've found ourselves looking at MHs at dealerships, but it's been a few times a year for 20 or so years.

We find ourselves with no mortgage on our house in our early fifties (I fully appreciate how fortunate we are) and 2 grown-up kids (My son is now the exact age I still think I am).

I have a job that, like my previous jobs, has taken care of my pension responsibilities in a way I never would have left to my own devices.

It all puts us in the position of being able to, with significant belt-tightening, "Opt Out" next year.

My Wife suggested a Gap Year. I agreed. We said we'd spend a year getting our exit-strategy in place, preparing the house for sale, buying a couple of rental properties, making sure the kids were settled and, finally...buying a motorhome, when the right one came along. Winter 2016/Spring 2017 seemed the logical time to buy the motorhome.

Well.. the best laid plans.... etc...etc.

I was browsing Auto-Trader in June 2016 and found, at a fairly local dealership, the Motorhome that, after much deliberation had found its way to the top of our list.

I give you, Humberto...

BROKEN LINK

Collected Friday, August 19 2016.

It's a 2008 Hymer B544 SL. 3,000cc, 160BHP Right Hand Drive.
I had it plated up to 3850Kg.
I realise there are no perfect motorhomes but this had more Pros and the least Cons (for the lifestyle we want) in the whole compromise game you need to play when deciding on a MH.

I hope to make use of your expertise at MH Fun (I have zero Motorhome experience*)

In return I invite you all to share our adventures together over the upcoming months and years.
You can follow Humberto at www.gohumberto.com (Go Humberto!) where I will attempt to keep on top of a BLOG.

If I get chance to make videos (most likely my Wife taking videos with her phone from the passenger seat) I will post them on the BLOG or directly on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJrMpVFLmJHGFMTI7mAYqw

*Not strictly true any more.. we immediately took Humberto (or did Humberto take us?) to a Camping & Caravan Club site at Old Sarum, Salisbury, Wilts. this weekend, so I officially have 2 days experience.

So, that's us.. See you on the Forum and on the road I hope.

Lee & Angeline

EQIgeX_TS1FnvZL3Lug3lsZUwX2MzRLyGBcEa17Z-1R7NE0XDdCT30gytnoYm-MPsp37-9WpSXEEAvihLoQCjq3RqKhYywNTP-LwIyhel2e98qTj49Rt79rOi8NOWKtkf7b4B4d7ujWgVoJceu4Rc_voxASn1XFdiPDj6ocLojIqwzH8sBG2QwgrxBHdOWkjOGm1MYDH4lgu7CNfJ8ku7EKqY0e0PByb4vTgKZcuwFvUheD3ZNLpsSrys1thDQvnjo7O-SHJmtxoxw0ZhYaJ6y2rryaQpGJiUoHNYzMSR72o8rx6y5EI6sLoWMQZd6H5tthgnL4XvBB0zeMFlVNoGza75ohZvpvYnAUPp2qqMZHtTnTjaSLCAvHVHjzTD3WlTGP3DFee0KLINuzupV20L1k2ukpBes7ddlh1hPXoKhlA02SHlCbBJN_crb06F7Gh3fYg0kKeLGC_sMU9KYbjn8X-ElV1XJxg_zQEV09lBr72pMqVpEG7FtFp8ihkCxzyy4jPpaRkOLR4HDbwHsLB20ncTcmyki8mgPChIKe5lUBVPQOyawS_AToTFdZftP9NfHm1KOL3sz-xaTnPUKQAZNEAqpntdys=s100-no

Mar 27, 2016
Melton Mowbray, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 408
Exp
Since 2016
That's funny we nosed round that van while our water pump was being fixed a while age. Have fun in your new van

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
That's funny we nosed round that van while our water pump was being fixed a while age. Have fun in your new van
Hoping you didn't think, "What a horrible Motorhome".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi guys, welcome to MotorhomeFun and congratulations on your purchase. Exciting times ahead for you. Enjoy.
Brisey.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
good luck , it is exciting to up sticks..

Nice van.. but having full timed for three years I think it is too small.. it lacks storage space.. and separate areas for relaxing and getting a bit of 'me space'

you could always pull a box a trailer .. we did and had a 36ft RV .. which seemed to shrink 'till we felt it was cramped..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hello,
We are Lee & Angeline. We are "Go Humberto!"

After around a quarter of a century of camping, starting with our 1 year-old son and a "Relum" frame tent (in the frosty Peak District) we have progressed (some hard-core campers may say regressed) to Motorhome ownership.

I've lost count of how many Sunday afternoons we've found ourselves looking at MHs at dealerships, but it's been a few times a year for 20 or so years.

We find ourselves with no mortgage on our house in our early fifties (I fully appreciate how fortunate we are) and 2 grown-up kids (My son is now the exact age I still think I am).

I have a job that, like my previous jobs, has taken care of my pension responsibilities in a way I never would have left to my own devices.

It all puts us in the position of being able to, with significant belt-tightening, "Opt Out" next year.

My Wife suggested a Gap Year. I agreed. We said we'd spend a year getting our exit-strategy in place, preparing the house for sale, buying a couple of rental properties, making sure the kids were settled and, finally...buying a motorhome, when the right one came along. Winter 2016/Spring 2017 seemed the logical time to buy the motorhome.

Well.. the best laid plans.... etc...etc.

I was browsing Auto-Trader in June 2016 and found, at a fairly local dealership, the Motorhome that, after much deliberation had found its way to the top of our list.

I give you, Humberto...

BROKEN LINK

Collected Friday, August 19 2016.

It's a 2008 Hymer B544 SL. 3,000cc, 160BHP Right Hand Drive.
I had it plated up to 3850Kg.
I realise there are no perfect motorhomes but this had more Pros and the least Cons (for the lifestyle we want) in the whole compromise game you need to play when deciding on a MH.

I hope to make use of your expertise at MH Fun (I have zero Motorhome experience*)

In return I invite you all to share our adventures together over the upcoming months and years.
You can follow Humberto at www.gohumberto.com (Go Humberto!) where I will attempt to keep on top of a BLOG.

If I get chance to make videos (most likely my Wife taking videos with her phone from the passenger seat) I will post them on the BLOG or directly on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnJrMpVFLmJHGFMTI7mAYqw

*Not strictly true any more.. we immediately took Humberto (or did Humberto take us?) to a Camping & Caravan Club site at Old Sarum, Salisbury, Wilts. this weekend, so I officially have 2 days experience.

So, that's us.. See you on the Forum and on the road I hope.

Lee & Angeline

EQIgeX_TS1FnvZL3Lug3lsZUwX2MzRLyGBcEa17Z-1R7NE0XDdCT30gytnoYm-MPsp37-9WpSXEEAvihLoQCjq3RqKhYywNTP-LwIyhel2e98qTj49Rt79rOi8NOWKtkf7b4B4d7ujWgVoJceu4Rc_voxASn1XFdiPDj6ocLojIqwzH8sBG2QwgrxBHdOWkjOGm1MYDH4lgu7CNfJ8ku7EKqY0e0PByb4vTgKZcuwFvUheD3ZNLpsSrys1thDQvnjo7O-SHJmtxoxw0ZhYaJ6y2rryaQpGJiUoHNYzMSR72o8rx6y5EI6sLoWMQZd6H5tthgnL4XvBB0zeMFlVNoGza75ohZvpvYnAUPp2qqMZHtTnTjaSLCAvHVHjzTD3WlTGP3DFee0KLINuzupV20L1k2ukpBes7ddlh1hPXoKhlA02SHlCbBJN_crb06F7Gh3fYg0kKeLGC_sMU9KYbjn8X-ElV1XJxg_zQEV09lBr72pMqVpEG7FtFp8ihkCxzyy4jPpaRkOLR4HDbwHsLB20ncTcmyki8mgPChIKe5lUBVPQOyawS_AToTFdZftP9NfHm1KOL3sz-xaTnPUKQAZNEAqpntdys=s100-no
Good luck and enjoy the new MH!

If you want to invite comments and suggestions on your travels it is generally much better to post on here, where potentially several hundred folk will read it. Running your own blog can be fun and it will create a great record of your travels but you need to work hard to publicise it otherwise you may well find your readership very low.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us. Fantastic looking van. What an exciting time for you! We look forward to hearing all about your travels. As DBK says, if you could post a copy on this forum it would be very much appreciated. We love reading about other people's adventures.

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
good luck , it is exciting to up sticks..

Nice van.. but having full timed for three years I think it is too small.. it lacks storage space.. and separate areas for relaxing and getting a bit of 'me space'

you could always pull a box a trailer .. we did and had a 36ft RV .. which seemed to shrink 'till we felt it was cramped..
Well I think it's "each to their own".

There's clearly no perfect layout, or there wouldn't be so many layouts to choose from.

Humberto is 6.5m long, that's just about the practical limit for our driveway.
You can see that we don't have a lot of room to play with (my Home-Office view is now 100% Bike-Rack)
4RRqnHUEyRj4R92iSf_2tRSCv2eXKP8jkR8iy0o4UjSfN3oMEkMiZ6E5S_zMyjqM1L8KQss7l8k2EuYsw92go6HNsJGOWaL_BmJJizUBNbd9-DJE6JmzSyyOnbaXL1tmS7rbEM7YcTknP2Q91K_Eyx6qfCXNubSHyKzHgur3WCCUY9vMf9SoU2KLjLQJWxGgCERzOJDUttXlWvWqI-Yf7XirDSg0TJSJaCV69pppmyLbJ38nFqjBRfuMfuKFRYbkc1l4lQqM8PkRBm0SUnntx96RSTjUmLyqrvM_atIVIIxWwaQCoMNs93D4VmaR9t88h36LBdNs2TW0YK6bD21x4XQCGPSQek9goZV72_i85NQO-5YfVSrMuMgpfd0z-8CZbtvCHSBw_BqVOf2S5xCZJjVmOClfBs91idMZHiZt-KCSmbQo5M3hBin1BGlFlqtGJfXd_xWHy8uGOgqzRd7PHKXL5mS49fshpLWsvT61RQD93HHwbpCBRY2t2J6_tTK41fLYVEQKAVgLjDyQIJIZuR1Mli_2a2GgCmKEBrNFYK0uJgYQpXkuj-GPQHJC4uUxQOjlEZkuDe9x28Q1PF-Ia7nPUXDhoVw=w1280-h720-no

I know of at least 2 couples using the old 6.0m version for full-timing.

Admittedly a garage would make storage a non-issue, but a garage has knock-on effects on internal layout that didn't suit us.
The Hymer B544 seemed to have the biggest, and brightest, lounge for the smallest overall footprint we could find. I reckon you could seat 8 around the table.

I've not even had chance to see what we can store in the skirt-lockers but I'd say it will take care of chairs and the "utility" stuff like hoses and hook-ups.

Internally we are spoiled for cupboard storage after 15 years of touring with a Trailer tent/Folding-Camper and two kids.

I've always found that you don't need a vast amount more stuff for a month's touring vs a weekend break. It's the essentials that seem to take up 90% of the space.

Anyway it's "horses for courses", whether it's a V-Dub or a Winnebago, it's whatever makes you comfortable and happy. We're somewhere in the middle ... and happy. We'll find out whether we can get comfortable next year.

Lee & Angeline

www.gohumberto.com

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I was giving you my opinion both as motorhomer and as an ex full-timer with 3 years on the road .. which you asked for.. sorry it's not what you wanted to hear.

Well I think it's "each to their own".

and of course it's each to their own.. and horses for courses, some can live in a shoe box.. others need a bit of space.

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I was giving you my opinion both as motorhomer and as an ex full-timer with 3 years on the road .. which you asked for.. sorry it's not what you wanted to hear.

and of course it's each to their own.. and horses for courses, some can live in a shoe box.. others need a bit of space.
You may be reading into my post something not intended.

Your opinion is welcome. I just had to find a Motorhome that ticked different boxes to the ones you would probably prefer, and for the reasons I gave.

Lee
www.gohumberto.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back