Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This afternoon We took the van and drove to Sittingbourne just to buy a few workshop bits, we could have taken the car but, hey ho! take the van it needs a run to keep it happy.
The other reason was to road test the new air bags, and to optimise the pressures to get a good ride. Started at 5 bar, ride OK but the wind was really strong from the side so I increased it using the footpump to 6 bars the maximum, we went from there to the Dover patrol memorial to see what goes on there today, nothing much as it was very blustery and the van rocked around like a boat, so we went down to the St Margarets Bay itself for dinner, that is when I decided that the pressures were TOO HIGH, it made the fillings drop out, on the private road parts, if you have been up there you would understand. So the pressure was dropped to 4 bar and that seems the Goldilocks position from now on. The ride is better as than does not roll around now and the air is more compliant. So all together the bags were a good buy.
Are we alone in just going for a ride in the MH and just having lunch and dinner out, I suppose it wasn't as bad as sitting in the garden as we have been known to do, just pretending.
I have just bought a large amount of Euros and we will be going to the Continent soon for a trip, when People find out we live in Dover and do not go I say it was I did not quite trust the old van enough but the new one is different matter.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
We never use ours for a day out, even going away for 2 or 3 days we have to think about.
Reason is our van JUST gets in and out of our drive, and all depends on if someone has parked opposite. So we can have planned to go away and find we can't get out, or get off and then can't get back in.
Obviously, we always do get out and in eventually, so don't worry much about longer trips. (Off on Monday to France for 8 weeks, whoopee). But it can be such a faff that that we just don't feel very short trips are worth the hassle.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
No, you're not alone, we've gone out in the MH just for the hell of it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
We take ours for short runs too.
Take the bikes, have a ride canal side or old rail track, then it's nice to have a cuppa or maybe lunch watching the wild life. Full facility so don't need to find a loo !
What could be better for a day out?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I run my air assistance at 4 bar. Any higher as you say it will rattle your teeth out. If you're fully loaded on your return from the continent it may be wise to experiment with slightly higher pressures.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
We never use ours for a day out, even going away for 2 or 3 days we have to think about.
Reason is our van JUST gets in and out of our drive, and all depends on if someone has parked opposite. So we can have planned to go away and find we can't get out, or get off and then can't get back in.
Obviously, we always do get out and in eventually, so don't worry much about longer trips. (Off on Monday to France for 8 weeks, whoopee). But it can be such a faff that that we just don't feel very short trips are worth the hassle.
You could park your own car opposite so you can choose when to go out!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Would use ours to go out for short trips (pooch loves going in van) but as we can't store it at home it's a 45min round trip to fetch it so too much faffing around. However we do get away fairly often so no worries about "sleepy van syndrome".

As for air suspension, I set ours at 50 psi (wot are these bar things? :)) for when we are fully loaded, which is most of the time and put up with the hard ride at other times.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back