Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have travelled to a good few countries but have to say Latvia have the worst roads in Europe. Built on crusher run, topped with sand and then a very thin layer of tarmac. The tarmac wears away, the rains arrive, the sand washes away and guess what the biggest pot holes you've ever seen. Today, we travelled 30 km and it took several hours, it was hard going. Now time to...quickly wash the van!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Isle of Sheppy....Sheerness steel works with scrap/FRAG!. The drivers canteen? was a 10x8' room,no chairs,no table,just a foot wide shelf about waist hieght around the wall,your dinner/meal came through a hatch and you stood there and ate it.......
You know if you paid council tax/water rates etc......... Things might IMPROVE...LOL. Lovely neck of the woods,loved going down there.
Tea Bag
PS. "Scrap" should read."Frag"...

We live on a road like that!!! LOL! but without the tarmac top layer.

Last edited:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi.
Isle of Sheppy....Sheerness steel works with scrap/FRAG!. The drivers canteen? was a 10x8' room,no chairs,no table,just a foot wide shelf about waist hieght around the wall,your dinner/meal came through a hatch and you stood there and ate it.......
You know if you paid council tax/water rates etc......... Things might IMPROVE...LOL. Lovely neck of the woods,loved going down there.
Tea Bag
PS. "Scrap" should read."Frag"...
Delivered loads of frag there in the past. Mainly from Ridham Dock and took some really heavy stuff from there to a tarmac yard - just covered the bottom of a lorry, looked like iron filings. Looks like they're knocking Sheerness Steel down now.

Joe

OP
OP
Our Bumble

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
image.jpeg
@Rob Turner we thought Belgium until we arrived in Latvia. This is a 'not too bad' road

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Belgium Autoroutes are a lot better than they used to be IMO but some of the other roads can be real filling rattlers.

Italy has some pretty dire roads away from the Autostrades as well.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
isnt it things like this we travel to experience? when the world is one big motorway where is anyone going to travel to

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We took a risk on a Belgian minor road. 90kph limit and I reckon I was doing 30 kph. Dead straight for miles and people were overtaking us. Somewhere between Koblenz and liege. motorways have improved in Belgium but still better off driving permanently in the 2nd lane and travelling fast enough to not pull over into the tracks created by lorries

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I agree about Belgium roads being better now, we regularly went fron Dunkirk to Acchan via motorways and Belgium bit was the worst we had ever driven on

Joe

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Yhat is NOTHING to the Rut I hit on the M25, clockwise at the end of the LEE tunnel 2nd lane from right.
I thought the bottom had come off. It is still there now.

In general in the last fortnight we found the roads in England to be in a poor state and the M25 one of the worst sections of motorway I can remember..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Poland gets my vote.. Any country that build a motorway with cobbles I now avoid !!!!!!

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
Italy, the further south you go the worse the roads get. Even some of the toll roads are in a very poor state.

Cooldude

Free Member
Feb 23, 2017
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Some roads on Portugal are very rough. Area north of Porto, lots of teeth rattling cobbled streets. Roads in Spain are generally good, but we came across one dual carriageway where all drivers were in the outside lane for miles to avoid all the deep potholes in the inside lane!

Pete

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Even 50km outside of Riga , the roads are toast. We followed a sat nav back to the airport from in the sticks and it was all gravel apart from the last 30km

Deleted User
I know it's not Europe but try driving in Cuba, going back to 2001 but next to no road signs,had to pick up passengers to find your way round, roads marked on map but not there and vice versa, more potholes than road, interesting experience though:)

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
Can I nominate the M20. On the way back from the tunnel on our last trip, I had to stay in the middle lane to ensure my fillings stayed in place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back