Going full time (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have thought abut this long and hard discussed it extensively.
We are thinking of going full time for a year to start with.
We would be taking the wee man out of schoole .
And home educating him his grandmother will look after the academic part of it.
will be working but not as much as I am now.
I will take care of the adventurous stuff swiming .
I will also help with the geography and history bits.
We have a few home education websites we will look at getting enrolled in.
We have a six birth van it has plenty of room
And we will tow a small box trailer
That's the plan so far
We will be getting rid of most of our stuff and storing the rest with a frend.
Their is a six month time frame to our plans.
To make sure we have everything in palace
Bill

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Sounds like a fantastic adventure for you all. Will you travel or stay near for work?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good luck, it will do him no harm I think at his age. And probably a lot of good!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Sounds like a fantastic adventure for you all. Will you travel or stay near for work?
We will travil around the UK and Europe.
I will either drive trucks or do drilling whare I can
Do want to spend the winters in warmer climimes
My brother wants to buy my truck so that one thing out the way
Bill

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have thought abut this long and hard discussed it extensively.
We are thinking of going full time for a year to start with.
We would be taking the wee man out of schoole .
And home educating him his grandmother will look after the academic part of it.
will be working but not as much as I am now.
I will take care of the adventurous stuff swiming .
I will also help with the geography and history bits.
We have a few home education websites we will look at getting enrolled in.
We have a six birth van it has plenty of room
And we will tow a small box trailer
That's the plan so far
We will be getting rid of most of our stuff and storing the rest with a frend.
Their is a six month time frame to our plans.
To make sure we have everything in palace
Bill

How old is wee man?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
10 in April

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity. We were dreaming that we might do that and enrol our boys in local schools in France and Spain for 6 months each but left it too late.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Sounds like a fantastic opportunity. We were dreaming that we might do that and enrol our boys in local schools in France and Spain for 6 months each but left it too late.
We will be doing it on a shoe string but up for the adventure
I am saying six months but I recon sooner
Willdbill

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We will be doing it on a shoe string but up for the adventure
I am saying six months but I recon sooner
Willdbill

I don't know what the rules are with Spanish schools but if you spent the winter in Spain, you might be able to enrol him into a local school for a few months which would help with his language skills and social life.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Could be a great experience Bill.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Great idea Bill, always believe that travel is a great educator and I'm sure your grandson will be a very rounded and well educated young man as a result of his experiences.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You'll need to write a letter to your grandsons head teacher. It's only a couple of lines. Join Education Otherwise. It's a charity and well worth donating a couple of quid to, they will show you precisely what to do. The help you will get from them for your boy is enormous. And they get great discounts from learning websites like Conquer Maths, which as a home'edder you be spending a lot of time in. They have groups all over the country and the get-togethers are legendary.

Depending on your local authority; you may find they want to interfere a little but they may not. Presently they have no right to insist on anything. I was dead against any interference from them initially but there have been some terrible cases where home-schooled kids were not getting educated and used as carers or slaves, so I now support them if they want to check on kids now and again I think its right they should be able to, for welfare only, not the actual education.

All my kids kept a private blog in which they kept a record of everything they did on a daily basis and while we were never checked at all it would have been easy to give the authorities a link to it to put their minds at rest.

Be aware that Home Ed is illegal in much of Europe. Should you ever be stopped and questioned (it happens) Education Otherwise can give you paperwork that explains the legal situation to Police in other countries (and this one occasionally)

If its only a year out, you really can treat it as an adventure and not worry too much about anything, as long as you do plenty of reading and writing (a diary or blog is ideal) and everyday practical maths then he'll present at senior school probably much better prepared than most others. IMO Any longer than a year at his age and you need to give it a lot more thought to get the best balance of life skills and education and prepare him for life.

We educated our oldest two kids who both got the qualifications they wanted for Uni and are well rounded wonderful people. Our youngest we don't educate full time ourselves we share her education with an online school. She logs into school 5 half days a week (Interhigh)

Nothing a child can do in school with 30 others beats personalised direct learning. Instead of spending the majority of the day in over-crowded schools being taught by relative strangers, home'ed children spend far more time with their families. This promotes strong family relationships and a 'togetherness' feeling that is pretty wonderful.

The location flexibility means the classroom is everywhere, it might be on a hill, a ski slope or a beach or a meadow, it might be at the zoo, or in your kitchen, but kids learn when they are motivated and they always seem to do better outside of a classroom. Home'ed is an adventure, everyday you should wake up and think how can you excite your child today, it's hard work but you'll all get a great education.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing that you need to consider is internet connectivity ... I know Jim has a great system but that will be too expensive and probably over the top, for your needs.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
What a fantastic time for a 10 year old boy. Something he will remember for the rest of his life. Well done, Bill. Hope it works out for you all.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You'll need to write a letter to your grandsons head teacher. It's only a couple of lines. Join Education Otherwise. It's a charity and well worth donating a couple of quid to, they will show you precisely what to do. The help you will get from them for your boy is enormous. And they get great discounts from learning websites like Conquer Maths, which as a home'edder you be spending a lot of time in. They have groups all over the country and the get-togethers are legendary.

Depending on your local authority; you may find they want to interfere a little but they may not. Presently they have no right to insist on anything. I was dead against any interference from them initially but there have been some terrible cases where home-schooled kids were not getting educated and used as carers or slaves, so I now support them if they want to check on kids now and again I think its right they should be able to, for welfare only, not the actual education.

All my kids kept a private blog in which they kept a record of everything they did on a daily basis and while we were never checked at all it would have been easy to give the authorities a link to it to put their minds at rest.

Be aware that Home Ed is illegal in much of Europe. Should you ever be stopped and questioned (it happens) Education Otherwise can give you paperwork that explains the legal situation to Police in other countries (and this one occasionally)

If its only a year out, you really can treat it as an adventure and not worry too much about anything, as long as you do plenty of reading and writing (a diary or blog is ideal) and everyday practical maths then he'll present at senior school probably much better prepared than most others. IMO Any longer than a year at his age and you need to give it a lot more thought to get the best balance of life skills and education and prepare him for life.

We educated our oldest two kids who both got the qualifications they wanted for Uni and are well rounded wonderful people. Our youngest we don't educate full time ourselves we share her education with an online school. She logs into school 5 half days a week (Interhigh)

Nothing a child can do in school with 30 others beats personalised direct learning. Instead of spending the majority of the day in over-crowded schools being taught by relative strangers, home'ed children spend far more time with their families. This promotes strong family relationships and a 'togetherness' feeling that is pretty wonderful.

The location flexibility means the classroom is everywhere, it might be on a hill, a ski slope or a beach or a meadow, it might be at the zoo, or in your kitchen, but kids learn when they are motivated and they always seem to do better outside of a classroom. Home'ed is an adventure, everyday you should wake up and think how can you excite your child today, it's hard work but you'll all get a great education.
Thanks Jim this advice is invaluable you can put no price on experience
Thank you
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We do have a problem withe the school
Everyday his teacher is challenge as she struggles to keep up with him as he tends to be so far ahead of his class in nearly all subjects.
Just before he left for the summer Holiday's
Thay we're doing map Redding.
He showed the class how to find ther position by resection.
The teacher was amazed at his knowledge
To be honest he's the only Nene year old I would want to be with on the hills in a emergence.
He could give first aid buld a shelter start a signal fire find sumthing to eat
And make his position known from the air
He can cook read spell count write all well in advance of his years.
Has soume musical under standing has a basic under standing of music.
He will lern so much out thare in the big wide world
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Things we nead to to
(1)Make and fit a towbar essential to the plan

(2)Laptop for jay

(3)stablish internet connection Gifgaf do a good deal for £20a month for the UK when in eurup local sim I thinks
We have so much to get rid of car boot sales one mans junk is another mans treasure
Bill

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
10 is a great age to take a year out of school. He has independence skills and has all the maths, reading, writing basics under his belt.

I was a teacher for 25 years and for several years was a Home Tutor for local ed authority ( sick kids, some out of school for behavioural issues)
If I can help at all while you're on your travels, just let me know. I really don't think you'll have any problems and your grandson will love the adventure as much as you.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
stablish internet connection Gifgaf do a good deal for £20a month for the UK when in eurup local sim I thinks
3 do a phone sim with unlimited data and 30Gb of tethering plus 200 minutes and unlimited texts a month for £23 (£18 a month if you are already a customer - we have four of them already :D )
The data allowances are valid in most of Europe as well.

Much better than Giffgaff! (y)

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Isn't there a family on here who have been fulltiming for four and a half years and home educating four kids for about nine years? :whistle:

We always said we would try it for a while and if it didn't work out, we would do something else.

So far, the kids vote strongly in favour of carrying on as we are (y)

You just have to make the big leap and then see where it takes you...

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Isn't there a family on here who have been fulltiming for four and a half years and home educating four kids for about nine years? :whistle:

We always said we would try it for a while and if it didn't work out, we would do something else.

So far, the kids vote strongly in favour of carrying on as we are (y)

You just have to make the big leap and then see where it takes you...
Preparations are under way the vote is do it from all my son's and family member's lots of support from funsters working on the van to prepared it getting all those bits I have Ben meaning to do starting with a towbar for a small box trailer.
We have the skills and ability to prepare the weeman for adult life
I have Sade six months but I think it will be less
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back