LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have used various "Sikaflex`s over the years and it has been known to come unstuck...:whatthe:

Don`t want to take a chance with Panels... :shake: :shake: :shake:

Give @damondunc a PM........... He is in the trade and will tell you what`s best to use.. (y)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
A fellow Funster @andyman used sikaflex to fix mine on and they're still holding strong years later.
I wouldn't be happy drilling and screwing when there's no need.

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Another question please on sikaflex if I can interupt, can it bond and seal in the rain?

madgeD

Free Member
Aug 17, 2014
Cleveland
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 2005
Our last two vans have had the solar panels stuck down with sikaflex and they are rock solid.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Sika 512 datasheet attached.

My panels have been stuck on with 512 for approx 5 years.(y)

Attachments

• pds_sikaflex-512caravan_uk_v01-07.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 50

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I don't think you can bond and seal in the rain .
When mine were fitted the area was washed and wiped ,then white spirit used to degrease ,I think, then a small spacer placed on each corner the sealant applied and the brackets sat on the mastic and pressure applied.
The small spacers are used to keep a set thickness of sealant so it doesn't all squeeze out when you apply pressure and the bracket is to itching the roof .
I'm sure Andy won't mind you contacting him for advice he's agenuinely nice bloke as are most on here.

Vlad

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I used it to secure my Sat dish and have had no problems so far (y)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
used it to bond x2 panels and an awning (which is about 4x heavier than the 2 panels) and theyre still up there solid !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I used it to secure my Sat dish and have had no problems so far (y)

likewise..

My Alden auto dish came supplied with Sikaflex and Sikaflex primer.. there are no fixing holes on the base..

Rub the surface of the roof with fine emery cloth, (it was supplied in the kit) then clean with white spirit or meths.. apply the Sika Primer to the roof and the Sika adhesive to the base.. press together and leave for 24 hrs

If it holds a heavy sat dish I would have little concern about a solar panel.. mine are also held on only with Sika

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Another question please on sikaflex if I can interupt, can it bond and seal in the rain?

Get the one from Screwfix , it's the only one in their catalogue, (look in the sealents bit) about £8-£9, Adhesive and a sealent

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Just to add a little info to this thread:
I recently went to go speak to a guy who is a agent for Speedcoat but he also does M/H caravan repairs and things like fitting awnings/solar panels/leisure batteries etc and he doesnt use sikaflex to bond anything - even awnings and solar panels, he uses "Suodall fixall" because he says its the exact same thing but just under a different name and half the price, i was a little surprised by this but he assured me he has been using it for the last god knows how many years and never had anything fall off.... I know fixall as i have used it myself in the past and found it to be very good but i wouldnt have dreamed of using it to solar panels on a roof - i suppose its what you feel comfortable with.

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
I bought some Sikaflex 252 off Ebay. I stuck a flexible solar panel to the roof of an Autocruise Symphony.
It worked a treat.
Only problem I had was that I had to buy a stronger mastic gun as it is very hard to squeeze out.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
From the replies, you will see many people have used it with no issues.

I put a Snipe Satellite on our roof, and I was going to bond it with Sikaflex only, but at the last minute I bottled it, and used the screws as well as a liberal helping of Sika! :D

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I use Sikaflex 291i as its marine grade. It's good value too at £10 to £13 depending if you can get a supplier or mail order.
There are lots of alternative brands but I wouldn't risk anything else as the cost saving is not worth the possibility of either having to redo it every so often or worse have the thing fall off.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just seen this, I have also used Sikaflex to bond solar panels to the roof. They stay on at 80mph...................

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
Another vote for Sikaflex, I have secured rear view camera and rear mud flaps with it and they are still there after four years.

Reactions: DBK

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have experience of sticking panels on the roof wth Sikaflex AND taking them off to put on another van.

I was a tad woosie and bolted the backets on as well as using Sikaflex. I did this with four panels on my fibreglass roofed Iveco.

Last year I removed two of them. After spending hours and hours trying everything to cut through the Sikaflex... I gave up and ripped them off with a big crow bar.

The Sikaflex did not let go... it just ripped holes in the roof!

Patched up the holes... cleaned up the brackets and put one panel on the roof of the Hymer. (Frankie had the other one for Max.)

I did not use scews or bolts this time.

I KNOW how well Sikaflex sticks.

JJ :cool:

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Just stuck my 80 w panel on with 512 but put a couple of self tappers through brackets for piece of mind/pop rivets to panel .Seems solid enough -panel not that heavy anyway.

OP
OP
smiffy502000

smiffy502000

Free Member
Aug 5, 2012
sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
coach built.
Exp
since 2008
i'm going to put stainless nuts and bolts from panel to brackets, and just glue the brackets to the roof, from what i'v read on here the sikaflex should do the rest. less holes into the roof skin the better !

Labraska

Free Member
Jul 27, 2017
Uk
Funster No
MH
VW T5 camper
Exp
A few years
hi. anyone used sikaflex 512 to bond solar panel brackets to motorhome roof ?does it do the job well ?
Hi, New to this site but just thought I'd say, I used 512 to stick a solar panel to my roof 4 weeks ago, (followed instructions abraided all surfaces etc) was nearly at the end of a 4500 mile trip around Europe, when whoosh ! A big artic flew past on what was a windy day..... no more solar panel Sikaflex 512 is good but nut and bolts for me as well next time I'm afraid and I'll chance a wee leak and deal with that !!

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I bonded our Snipe Pro Max on with just 252 and its still there after 6500 miles at motorway speeds.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Hi, New to this site but just thought I'd say, I used 512 to stick a solar panel to my roof 4 weeks ago, (followed instructions abraided all surfaces etc) was nearly at the end of a 4500 mile trip around Europe, when whoosh ! A big artic flew past on what was a windy day..... no more solar panel Sikaflex 512 is good but nut and bolts for me as well next time I'm afraid and I'll chance a wee leak and deal with that !!

512 is a sealant with adhesive properties, personally I would use a full-on adhesive such as 252 to attach solar panels, etc.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
used to make fire engines, the crew cab part is "glued "on with sikaflex.
never had one fall apart. also used on the brackets that hold the ladders on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back