crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
can anyone tell me if a 3 Mobile Dongle is any good for Spain, I want it for my laptop not phone usage, I have a extra antenna?, have not purchased 3 yet and want to know the score for Spain

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Three works in Spain but I'm not sure if a dongle is on a different tarif to a typical sim card. I wouldn't have thought so.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
There is a thread on this subject.
Me... I know nufink about it..
Mitch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Get it unlocked, then use any Spanish SIM card if 3 gets throttled (slow) If in Benidorm try the indoor market for a Spanish SIM.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I have a Three mifi and worked all through France and Spain. Am using right now here in Lanzarote

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I have a Three mifi and worked all through France and Spain. Am using right now here in Lanzarote

Yorick, are you on contract or PAYG also did you pay for the wifi in the UK or in Spain, I plann to spend 5 mouths in Europe, so need to get it right,

thanks your reply

crabs

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Yorick, are you on contract or PAYG also did you pay for the wifi in the UK or in Spain, I plann to spend 5 mouths in Europe, so need to get it right,

thanks your reply

crabs
Hi, it's a rolling monthly contract. Got 2 phones on it. Also a mifi :)

I bought in UK but changed it while over here no probs. Superb staff.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I got a 12GB sim for £25 from 3 which lasts a year. It worked well in France and Spain but we managed to use most of the allowance in 3 weeks between the 4 of us. We should have turned off auto updates for apps on our phones / tablets and turned off cloud backups.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007

thanks your reply

crabs
Buy 2 PAYG sims with 12GB on each, the data only last for 2 Months when used abroad.

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
We are just back from 3 shop (been customers for years) we have changed our tarriffs and guy in shop was telling us that from 1st Sept 3 will be monitoring roaming more closely. Dont expect to get more than 2 months in a ROLLING YEAR FROM 1ST LOG IN IN EUROPE. Last year we had no problems over the 7 months we were away. Good while it lasts. He explained that in Sept when the rest of europe (virtually) becomes available they have no idea what to expect

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
ok members thanks for the latest updates on 3, problem is when in a shop or over the phone here in the UK the sales people will tell you the sun never sets just to get a contract or sale, they get commission, the girl I was talking to said she was Blonde 24 years old with extra large boobs, man was I tempted to buy I might of got lucky :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Buy 2 PAYG sims with 12GB on each, the data only last for 2 Months when used abroad.

Even cheaper:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want a longer period of time rather than the amount of data, then ou could get 2 x 3gb pre-loaded '3' data sims instead, that would give you 4 months usage abroad:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We are just back from 3 shop (been customers for years) we have changed our tarriffs and guy in shop was telling us that from 1st Sept 3 will be monitoring roaming more closely. Dont expect to get more than 2 months in a ROLLING YEAR FROM 1ST LOG IN IN EUROPE. Last year we had no problems over the 7 months we were away. Good while it lasts. He explained that in Sept when the rest of europe (virtually) becomes available they have no idea what to expect

Hi,
Does that mean that 3 "Feel at Home" is going to more countries in Sept.
Can you explain please.

Graham and Jane

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2014
Grangemouth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Please check 3 website. My understanding is from sept. Most of Europe will be included.. Yes you are only guaranteed 2months in a rolling year from 1st log in in Europe. We have never been cut but as chap said they are clamping down now as more and more use it for prolonged periods. They have updated the 3 website to show all countries from September.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you have a contract with '3' then within one year of the first use abroad you can have up to 2 months of usage in a 365 day period, so if you say activated it in the UK in January 2016, used it for 2 months abroad, say all of May and June, then wanted to use it abroad again in December you officially couldn't; if you kept the contract going you wouldn't be able to use it abroad again until the following May.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
when I phoned 3 another guy from India was answering my questions, he said to me, if I was to buy 3 PAYG sims and as one runs out then put the ther one in and regester, free roaming, it I would get another 2 months in Spain without getting cut off, know Big knockers did not know anything about this, so it all got confusing, because these countries are claminping down on 3 having free roaming,

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
For the info of all, just stripped this out of the Three site to show which countries join the 'Feel at Home programme in September.
"Belgium, Bulgaria, Channel Islands (Jersey & Guernsey), Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia and Slovakia."

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
yes I was told by big boobs before about the extra info, see after 2/3 months they stop the free roaming, that way the Indian guy said get extra PAYG sims so when it is running out or due to be shut down stick the new sim in and register it with 3 then you get free roaming angain for a while, downside is your number will change if its for a phone he told me, but I only want for a dongle to work the laptop in Spain for 4 odd months so a number change is no big deal

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
yes I was told by big boobs before about the extra info, see after 2/3 months they stop the free roaming, that way the Indian guy said get extra PAYG sims so when it is running out or due to be shut down stick the new sim in and register it with 3 then you get free roaming angain for a while, downside is your number will change if its for a phone he told me, but I only want for a dongle to work the laptop in Spain for 4 odd months so a number change is no big deal
Don't confuse PAYG sims with PRELOADED ones, PAYG ones are those that you have to top-up with money and then I think buy some sort 'add on' pack to get the data and this costs a lot more per mb than a preloaded one with a set amount of data on already, so if you only want it for data get a preloaded data sim.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Don't confuse PAYG sims with PRELOADED ones, PAYG ones are those that you have to top-up with money and then I think buy some sort 'add on' pack to get the data and this costs a lot more per mb than a preloaded one with a set amount of data on already, so if you only want it for data get a preloaded data sim.

agree with you Minxy but the problem of the free roaming still will come to a end when using it abroad, preloaded or PAYG, so buying a PAYG and putting a new sim in registering it again I get another free roaming, because Europe is clamping down on 3 free roaming and will cancel the sim after a certain time, what is a man to do use
Semiphore again, :D

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
that's what I was told Minxy, the only way around it is to go back to the UK use the 3 then go back to Europe again, and you get another free roaming time again, only way is to buy PAYG and change them as I posted before, that's if spain do a time limit on 3 of course which I am told thay are going to do, if I was to buy a 30 day rolling contart with 3, if it gets blocked put a PAYG sim in and start all over again, then I lost my data for 30 days and paid for it until the cancelation comes into force, I damed if I do and damed if I don't by the sound of things, why cant life be easy :cry:

Deleted User
3 PAYG data sims are always pre loaded with a certain amount of data for a certain time, lots of options and can sometimes be bought cheaper from other suppliers.They can be topped up once registered with 3, again lots of options, it is not necessary to register the sim with 3 in order to use it.

If you are going abroad to Feel at Home countries then take a few sims with you with the data and time limits that you think you may need, if you think you are going to be cut off after 2 months then use another sim, they don't need to be used in the UK first.

OP
OP
crabman

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
that's right Matamoros, big boobs was trying to sell me a rolling contract, when 3 or 4 PAYG sims would have been better, anyway getting back to big boobs with the blonde hair and 24 years old I could have stayed there all day looking down her low cut dress, maybe the price did not matter, for the sight I was getting :):) well worth it I would say :D

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
agree with you Minxy but the problem of the free roaming still will come to a end when using it abroad, preloaded or PAYG, so buying a PAYG and putting a new sim in registering it again I get another free roaming, because Europe is clamping down on 3 free roaming and will cancel the sim after a certain time, what is a man to do use
Semiphore again, :D

3 PAYG data sims are always pre loaded with a certain amount of data for a certain time, lots of options and can sometimes be bought cheaper from other suppliers.They can be topped up once registered with 3, again lots of options, it is not necessary to register the sim with 3 in order to use it.

If you are going abroad to Feel at Home countries then take a few sims with you with the data and time limits that you think you may need, if you think you are going to be cut off after 2 months then use another sim, they don't need to be used in the UK first.

Just to reiterate what I said earlier ....

If you want a longer period of time rather than the amount of data, then you could get 2 x 3gb pre-loaded '3' data sims instead, that would give you 4 months usage abroad:​

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
that's what I was told Minxy, the only way around it is to go back to the UK use the 3 then go back to Europe again, and you get another free roaming time again
Not quite, if you've used up your 2 month 'abroad' allowance you'll have to wait to the anniversary of the first use of it abroad before the 2 month of 'abroad' data kicks in again AFAIK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back