not getting a decent van because............. (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We purchased a 1993 Hymer and used it to tour France for a month this year also various areas around UK. Our original plan was to try it and then if we liked motorhomin' (we did) we would then splash out and buy a newer decent van - however - last Sunday we had our 3 year old Range Rover Vogue stolen from the driveway of our house. They got in the front door (god knows how!!) took the spare key from the hall and drove it away sometime in the night whilst we were sleeping. The police said we had been targeted and they probably had been watching our movements over the past few weeks and there is not much chance of recovering the car.
I'm not of the frame of mind that it is pointless having anything decent as there's always going to be some scumbag with his eye on it:Angry:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
sorry to hear of your problems I hope you are well Insured and remember they are a minority most people would sooner help you than steal from you

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Don't let the b@st@rds dictate your plans!!

You want to buy a newer motorhome, you do it..... maybe keep the keys well hidden though :Sad:. You have learned a valuable lesson - the hard way. There will always be villains about - just don't make it easy for them.

BTW we are all guilty of making the same mistakes, we get complacent and think it won't happen to us - that's what gives the scum the opportunities.

Just be vigilant and enjoy your hard earned rewards :Smile:

Right.... that's me off my soapbox.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
It doesnt matter what age your motorhome is, if they want it or want bits off they will get it somehow

We had an old 1988 highwayman. They couldnt nick it so they trashed the inside, nicking the boiler, copper and even tried to have the aluminium side panels off.

We then bought our current motorhome a 1990 talbot bedouin.

Just before the start of the school holidays they nicked the front lights, the indicators, the grille and the light surrounds.

So dont be put off because your newish motorhome has been stolen but DO next time get a tracker xxxxx or a good alarm system xxxx

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We purchased a 1993 Hymer and used it to tour France for a month this year also various areas around UK. Our original plan was to try it and then if we liked motorhomin' (we did) we would then splash out and buy a newer decent van

Maybe newer but no guarantee better built.

Tough luck on your vehicle, but, that's what we all pay insurance for. You could always go live in the Outer Hebrides, I'll bet you don't need to take your keys out there.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
last Sunday we had our 3 year old Range Rover Vogue stolen from the driveway of our house. They got in the front door (god knows how!!) took the spare key from the hall and drove it away sometime in the night whilst we were sleeping. The police said we had been targeted and they probably had been watching our movements over the past few weeks and there is not much chance of recovering the car.
Not what the Police told me when I had a car nicked some years ago.

First thing they told me is if i'd had a phone call off them within hours of reporting the theft....then that would be because the Police had found it wrapped round a tree or torched. The longer you are with no phone call, the more chance you have of getting it back in one piece.

My car was eventually found one month later, intact and with everything still left inside.

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
The car had a good alarm system. They gained access through the front door which was locked & took spare key - goodness knows how as no sign of breakin although police got dna samples from door and window. We kept spare key in the hall, if it had not been there the police say they would have gone into the other rooms of the house to find a key and possible taken mobile phones, camera etcc on their way. Who knows they may even have come into our bedroom to get a key!!
It was a top of the range model and the police say it is probably winging it's way to Africa in a container by now or in some barn being stripped down!
It is covered under a motor traders insurance policy so we will only get trade value, not enough to go out and replace it, but not only that it means we will lose our no claims bonus (not had a clain in 24 years of trading!) which when your premium is up in the £ thousands makes a lot of difference.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The car had a good alarm system. They gained access through the front door which was locked & took spare key - goodness knows how as no sign of breakin although police got dna samples from door and window.
If it's any consolation you've been lucky.

Why? Simple.......

If you ask the Police my betting is they will tell you you've been done over by professionals. An amateur would have smashed their way in or used a crowbar.

My sister and her husband returned back home from holiday and for two entire weeks lived 'life as normal', until one evening my sister spotted two items of antique jewellery missing from the bedroom. After scouring the house they decided to call the Police. They came out and on examining the door, found she had been burgled. The thief had entered through the front door but the Police would not tell my sister exactly how. She was fully insured so got the full value back.

I was once witness to a large country house which had been burgled by amateurs and it looked like a bomb had hit it. A Bechstein grand piano in the lounge had been reduced to matchwood and no piece of furniture was left undamaged. It was sheer vandalism which must have cost the insurance tens of thousands to sort out.

As for your car alarm system.....any 'pro' knows how to disable them without waking the neighbourhood up or damaging the vehicle. At the end of the day any vehicle is simply a metal box on wheels which can easily be replaced......a human life can't.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
One tip I was given years ago, though have never used as car theft is virtually unheard of where we live, is to discretely disable your vehicle. More applicable to a motorhome parked up for a while than a car. Take out a couple of fuses in the engine bay and disconnect a couple of bullet connectors or similar. If the would be thieves can't get it started fairly quickly they should be off empty handed.

Just a thought.

Bill

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Want to know how they got in?? :Eeek:

Just go on Youtube and look for bumplock or look here

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM&feature=PlayList&p=BC3A40E48FD45165&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1]YouTube - Lock Bumping and Bump Keys[/ame]

You will never look at a lock as being secure again.:cry:

S

stagman

Deleted User
We purchased a 1993 Hymer and used it to tour France for a month this year also various areas around UK. Our original plan was to try it and then if we liked motorhomin' (we did) we would then splash out and buy a newer decent van - however - last Sunday we had our 3 year old Range Rover Vogue stolen from the driveway of our house. They got in the front door (god knows how!!) took the spare key from the hall and drove it away sometime in the night whilst we were sleeping. The police said we had been targeted and they probably had been watching our movements over the past few weeks and there is not much chance of recovering the car.
I'm not of the frame of mind that it is pointless having anything decent as there's always going to be some scumbag with his eye on it:Angry:

Install a High Viz CCTV system . Sometimes does the trick .:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back