Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Moncayo
Exp
July 09
We have noticed some motorhomes parked up on those big yellow wedge shaped levellers even when they are on hardstanding. What is the benefit of doing that?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mainly to protect the fridge.
Motorhome fridges dont like being off level.
Come to think of it niether do I, can`t sleap unless am level.
Also water dosn`t go down plug if not level.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
You drive up them till the van is level. :Eeek:

Sorry couldn't resist.:Blush:

Even on hard standing your van can be down at the front or back. Apart from the obvious this can stop your fridge working or even damage it. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Yellow wedges

And plays havoc with your cup of coffee sliding off the table :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
S.

OP
OP
rav4girly

rav4girly

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Moncayo
Exp
July 09
You drive up them till the van is level. :Eeek:

Sorry couldn't resist.:Blush:

Even on hard standing your van can be down at the front or back. Apart from the obvious this can stop your fridge working or even damage it. :Smile:

But surely if you have them under all four tyres you're no more level than when you started..or am I just being extremely dense:Doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
never use em just park up . get ready to party. most modern fridges suposed to be ok on a slope never have any trouble with mine. like the pan for frying eggs on a slope makes it easier to baste the egg. i must be the odd one out. cheers alan

OP
OP
rav4girly

rav4girly

Free Member
Aug 26, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Moncayo
Exp
July 09
You put them under the front OR the back, whichever is lowest. :thumb:

I can see why you would do this but twice I have seen them under all tyres and thats what was confusing me. I'm not really so dense. :winky:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Didn't think you were dense, just new to the game.::bigsmile:

Don't know why they would put them under all the wheels, maybe I am the dense one:Eeek:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Your not getting confused with the yellow grip mats are you, these are used to help you get moving in sticky conditions, but generally they would only be used under the driving wheels. I have watched some people FAF around for ages with the levelling blocks, quite a science some make of it, each to their own as they say.:winky::winky::winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
best when wild camping .watch someone take ages to get sorted then latercasualy walk over and say not a good place to be parked here police move you then watch it all happen again .beats tv.

Wall-E

Free Member
Jan 21, 2009
Funster No
Levveling Up.

Rav4girly,
I always try to get the Motor Home as level as possible, Why, because I can read a level and carry the kit to do it most of the time. I find that hard standings are very deceptive with regards to being level. I sometimes end up with a packing under all four wheels, but this is due to the fact that you can't carry all the different thicknesses combinations of packing required for the falls and cross falls of the pitch.
I never use the plastic wedge type, as i prefer the M/H sitting atop of something flat. As Pappajohn said, it's much more comfortable. Although smaller motor homes will be less affected? to some extent. It's all part of the M/H experience a bit like setting the Sat dish up!!.
Em

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have noticed some motorhomes parked up on those big yellow wedge shaped levellers even when they are on hardstanding. What is the benefit of doing that?

Ah, they are the sexual athletes.

I believe 1723 died in their motorhomes in 2007 when indulging in frenzied sexual activity in a bed that was not level. But to look on the bright side, they died happy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I can see why you would do this but twice I have seen them under all tyres and thats what was confusing me. I'm not really so dense. :winky:

i'v seen 'em on 4 levellers and still nowhere near level....i reckon some folks use 'em 'cos they think they should but have no ideas how to use 'em really.

at linton lock last weekend i had to use 3 levellers...

one under each back and one under the off side front....near side front was on a hump 2" higher than the off side front and the rears were 3" lower than the front.
if i moved back/forward it was worse still.

still not 100% level and the fridge door kept swinging shut when retrieveing beers.:winky: so annoying.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Some people are very fussy about being exactly level. Modern fridges don't really need it, and as long as things don't actually slide off the table I don't usually bother. If there is a bit of water that hasn't drained from the shower it soon does as soon as you move.:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I'm with vwalan... never ever use levellers... they are for "Flatties"! (Compressor fridge) (sink and draining board not screwed down so can lift it a little if needed) Wild camp so am always ready to go at the drop of a hat...

Off topic but have just rigged up the LED strip lights I got at Shepton... Have to wear sunglasses indoors now...

JJ

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Many MH have a nose down attitude so will need levelling if you are fussy about it, & not all hardstands are really level.

It also depends where you carry the crate of wine. :RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many MH have a nose down attitude so will need levelling if you are fussy about it, & not all hardstands are really level.

Now you are confused Kieth.....

CRATE of beer.

CASE of wine.

you'll never make p***head grade with mistakes like that.:ROFLMAO:

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003

Crate? who ventures out with only one crate of anything? :ROFLMAO:

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
As someone has brought up the thread of levellers, can anyone help with my little problem:Blush:

Both front seats swivel to make up the lounge/dining area. Being a Ford Transit, the handbrake is in the way of the driver's seat swivelling and so has to be released (having left it in gear, of course). There is always a slight bit of movement as the brake releases and the gear takes effect - having got everything level, it ain't level anymore as we slip slightly down the block!

Anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Phil

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
There is always a slight bit of movement as the brake releases and the gear takes effect - having got everything level, it ain't level anymore as we slip slightly down the block!

Anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

Phil

More wine from the case in the back. Lightens the load on the rear axle and reduces your sensitivity to the slope! :wine: (Beer works too, but I find wine more effective and faster-acting.)

Philip

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
More wine from the case in the back. Lightens the load on the rear axle and reduces your sensitivity to the slope! :wine: (Beer works too, but I find wine more effective and faster-acting.)

Philip
Are you saying I should move it to the front to balance the load or that I should drink it and so not care about whether we are level?:winky:

BTW 'er indoors doesn't like me drinking her wine - she keeps buying me beer instead to keep me occupied (I'm not complaining...)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Serious response this time.

Never bothered about a bit of slippage myself, although we don't have the handbrake problem you describe. Suggest either over-levelling a bit on the ramp to allow for the fall-back (provided you don't overshoot the ramp of course); or drive up until level, then get the co-pilot to put a chock behind a wheel before you engage first and switch off.

Philip

p.s. when leaving the pitch, don't forget to ensure the co-pilot provides the necessary 'chocks-away' part of the service!

p.p.s. my earlier response was based on the idea that consumption would treat the symptoms rather than the cause. Additional benefit if sufficient is consumed to cause the back to raise up a bit as well.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back