LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I just wondered if there were any owners of recent (under 5 year old) vans on here e.g. Adria Twin 540, Dreamer d42/43, Roadscout, Boxlife/Boxstar 540, Pilote v540, Westfalia Amundsen 540. If so, I wondered how they rated them, whether they are happy with the one they bought or thought another might be better?

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
We have the Pilote F630DJA (6.36m) which will be four years old next year, we have done nearly 20,000 miles and only had a few small problems. Build quality is good and if I were to change I would buy another Pilote. But this one is perfect for us. Hayes Leisure have a V540G in stock.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't really comment on less than five year old vans but it depends what you want to do in it, before the one we have now we had an old ldv converted van, and went all round Europe in it, and it was fine for us , got everything we needed and would go anywhere, and would probably still have it now if it hadn't of fell to pieces, we move everyday, so have no need for fancy lounging areas or anything all we need is a toilet, shower ,cooker and bed, and we had all that, the one we have have now has no more but more space, but it's not as handy in town as the old one.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We have the Pilote F630DJA (6.36m) which will be four years old next year, we have done nearly 20,000 miles and only had a few small problems. Build quality is good and if I were to change I would buy another Pilote. But this one is perfect for us. Hayes Leisure have a V540G in stock.

Thanks pops, do you know which branch that's at (town)? (y)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Can't really comment on less than five year old vans but it depends what you want to do in it, before the one we have now we had an old ldv converted van, and went all round Europe in it, and it was fine for us , got everything we needed and would go anywhere, and would probably still have it now if it hadn't of fell to pieces, we move everyday, so have no need for fancy lounging areas or anything all we need is a toilet, shower ,cooker and bed, and we had all that, the one we have have now has no more but more space, but it's not as handy in town as the old one.

Thanks chaser, good to hear that they do have some good things going their way - not space though, obviously ;)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We have a 5.4m van but it is 6 years old.

Sorry, the 5 year thing was maybe a bit of a red herring ... I was trying to save people telling me about their 1960's versions, nice though they probably were they wouldn't have much in common with the ones I'm looking at. Which model do you have, and any thoughts? Thanks (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ours is only 5.45 mtrs but its an A class, complete with toilet, shower, cooker, oven, lounge area and an upstairs bed. I think its really a 7.00 m Moho inside but 5.45 outside.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know a few folk with the 5.5m long Murvi vans, Piccolo and Pimento. They all seem very happy with them though the only niggle is they don't get a full length wardrobe - which you do with the 6m long versions. One lady has just replaced hers with a second one, bought new. Which might be a bit of a hint, she travels on her own and my suspicion is if there are two of you the reduced storage space will be noticeable - nowhere for boots and the BBQ in particular, which is the sort of thing which lives in the bottom of our wardrobe. :)

Just had a look on the Murvi website to see if they have any second hand ones - but they don't, just a 6m vehicle.

If you don't mind a high mileage there is a much cheaper 6m one for sale here:

Couldn't find any short'uns for sale at the moment, but there might be somewhere.

Last edited:

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Thanks pops, do you know which branch that's at (town)? (y)
Hayes Leisure
Walsall Road
Darlaston
West Midlands
WS10 9SS

Tel 0121 5263433 or look on their web site; new Pilotes in stock.

Nov 2, 2012
southampton
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since2005
Hi Vanman,
I have owned a 6.0 metre pvc autocruise rhythm, a 5.4 autocruise jazz and a 5.4 autosleeper symbol.
The 5.4 jazz was not very practical. the bed was too short, very narrow (3ft 10 inches) and rock hard. not recommended.
The 5.4 symbol is much more practical. 2 single or good size double bed, easy to make up, proper three way fridge, cooker, lots of equipment, reasonable storage.
we still have the symbol, we love the van as it suits our lifestyle, we can use it for daily transport. unfortunately their is no storage for things like chairs unless you fit a rear storage box.
The 6.0 rhythm was a very practical van, the extra length meant 2 single beds or a 6ft x 6ft double. It had far more storage space than the shorter vans. the under seat storage provided room for chairs and water containers.

If you need any details on any of the above vans please ask.
Regards Phil

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Hi Vanman,
If you need any details on any of the above vans please ask.
Regards Phil

Thanks for the info - all adds to the big decision making process (y) I really need 2+1 berth, 3 or 4 belts and a separate loungette / bed, which is why I've not got those on my list. Storage boxes are new to me so I'll look into them :)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I know a few folk with the 5.5m long Murvi vans, Piccolo and Pimento.

Thanks (y) I think all the Murvi ones have a front lounge bed arrangement which wouldn't be ideal for us as we tend to Siesta at different times of the day. We need a rear bed and front sitting area.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks (y) I think all the Murvi ones have a front lounge bed arrangement which wouldn't be ideal for us as we tend to Siesta at different times of the day. We need a rear bed and front sitting area.
I doubt you will find anything usable which does that at 5.5m but I could well be wrong. That layout is just about doable at 6m.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I doubt you will find anything usable which does that at 5.5m but I could well be wrong. That layout is just about doable at 6m.

I realise that there will be a large trade off in terms of living space, but all 7 listed above meet the criteria. Using the passageway as part of the shower room seems to have been a game changer of sorts.

Reactions: DBK
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Sorry, the 5 year thing was maybe a bit of a red herring ... I was trying to save people telling me about their 1960's versions, nice though they probably were they wouldn't have much in common with the ones I'm looking at. Which model do you have, and any thoughts? Thanks (y)

We have a Vantage Cub 2010
The good points for us so far - rear lounge with 6ft beds (2 x singles or 1 x huge double). Solar Panel to keep the 2 x leisure batteries topped up. 12v only fridge so no more is it or isnt it alight on gas. Cold as well as hot blown air. Parking in a single car parking space in most non height barrier car parks.

The compromise is that the frigde/hob/sink is transverse behind the front seats so no walk through from cab - waiting for a rainy day to see how much of an issue this may be.

What would I change? The only thing so far is the sink in the Shower/Toilet - it would be good if it would fold up out of the way (as I believe it does in their later models) but the shower is still a good size and I wouldnt change the van on this point alone.

Jkarchibald

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amundsen 540D
Exp
Yes, we have a 2015 Westfalia Amundsen 540. Love it. Just back from a week in Cornwall, staying by St Ives Bay. It is a "go anywhere" size perfect for two and easily passes the "Tescos" parking test. Great build quality.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Yes, we have a 2015 Westfalia Amundsen 540. Love it. Just back from a week in Cornwall, staying by St Ives Bay. It is a "go anywhere" size perfect for two and easily passes the "Tescos" parking test. Great build quality.

That's good to know, especially as it's on my short list. (y) They look great on the website / brochure but they are very rare to be able to see in real life and the only dealers I've seen are in Portsmouth/IOW area. What do you do for servicing/habitation checks etc. if you don't mind me asking? Do you make a pilgrimage to the Dealer or have a good independent work on it? Thanks.

Jkarchibald

Free Member
Sep 24, 2012
Diss, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amundsen 540D
Exp
It is only just a year old, so not done a check yet. It's on my to do list... We bought "Westie" from Nottingham, so will probably head back there. We see very few Westfalia's about but like being in a fairly exclusive club. There is another dealer near London.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
This La Strada looks interesting, I have no idea of the length but it doesn't appear too long :)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
This La Strada looks interesting, I have no idea of the length but it doesn't appear too long :)

Thanks, it is an interesting van, very good value for the spec by the looks (y) However it isn't 5.4m (its at least 6m - probably 6.3) and it definitely isn't under 5 years old as it's definitely 10. Maybe right for someone else, but not me at the moment ;)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Sorry my van is 24ft and 30 years old
Wildbill

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
We have a jazz and spent 8 months in spain in it going again in October just enter autocruise jazz review mmm u should get all the information u need

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We are also considering a new 5.4m PVC with fixed bed which I can also use as a daily driver. That rules out the Jazz, Murvi and AS Symbol, also the rear lounge PVCs. The fixed layout bed requires even more compromises with kitchen, front lounge etc. We don't like washrooms that involve double tambour curtain/doors so that rules out Adria and Hobby.

As a Westy owner I had high hopes for the Amundsen 540 but having seen one at Newbury I felt disappointed. It did look a bit too cut price inside, compared with the Columbus 600.

The new Rapido V43 (2017) could be worth a look and we hope it will get its UK launch at the NEC. Similar to the Dreamer Select D43 which I have yet to see in the metal. The SpeedyDuxette likes the D42 Select French bed layout but from what I have read that has been discontinued. I think there might be one still available at Highbridge but it lacks the ComfortMatic box.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are also considering a new 5.4m PVC with fixed bed which I can also use as a daily driver. That rules out the Jazz, Murvi and AS Symbol, also the rear lounge PVCs. The fixed layout bed requires even more compromises with kitchen, front lounge etc. We don't like washrooms that involve double tambour curtain/doors so that rules out Adria and Hobby.

As a Westy owner I had high hopes for the Amundsen 540 but having seen one at Newbury I felt disappointed. It did look a bit too cut price inside, compared with the Columbus 600.

The new Rapido V43 (2017) could be worth a look and we hope it will get its UK launch at the NEC. Similar to the Dreamer Select D43 which I have yet to see in the metal. The SpeedyDuxette likes the D42 Select French bed layout but from what I have read that has been discontinued. I think there might be one still available at Highbridge but it lacks the ComfortMatic box.
Murvi do two models which are 5.5m - but though I like our Murvi they are not the best for Alpine use. I know someone who took one skiing but they drained all the water out when they arrived and stayed in a hotel! Which I should add was planned and not a panic reaction. :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We had a 6m Globecar Globescout for 3 years from new (sold it 5 months ago). If I were wanting another van I would have the 5.4m Globecar without any hesitation at all !!

Almost the same space but just a little smaller (if that makes any sense!). The fixed double full length bed is 4 inches narrower (no probs with that) and there is no wardrobe (useless anyway, used the old half length one for storage with shelves in). The only down side is the electric only fridge but for short trips or big solar panels no real issue.

I think that in practical terms the 5.4m is more driveable, easier to park, and (surely?) must have a better turning circle that the 6m van which is just plain bonkers wide turning circle!

Space is compromised a little but the smaller Globecar still has a 'garage space' under the bed, still has 4 seat belts and still can accommodate 3 people sleeping with the single conversion of the dinette.

Of course space in a PVC will always be a compromise but to be honest if 5.4 m is tight then so would 6m be!

We travelled all over Europe in ours, often away for 2 or 3 months at a time. If you want 'lounge space' then stay at home in the lounge (!) but if you want adventure then buy a short PVC (y)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017

It sounds like we are looking for very similar vans. I went to see the Pilote V540 Foxy van today and was a little disappointed. Maybe I expect too much from such a small thing. However the hand shower, lack of mains at the sitting area and lack of ventilation in the shower / toilet have counted heavily against it. I believe there are upgrades coming for 2017, but it's not rushed to the head of the list as it is. I too have high hopes for the Westy, maybe it will fit my eye better as I'm more of a function over form sort of a guy? Can you remember anything specific that put you off?

I can only see 6m Dreamers (D58) at Highbridge, however I suspect that if a Westy seemed cut price then the Dreamer will appear Poundland ;)

Interested in what you said about tambour door washrooms, we are quite enthusiastic as the first two 540 vans we looked at didn't have them (Weinsburg Carabus 540 +1) and had TINY washrooms, like so tiny we couldn't turn around in them and we are not THAT big lol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back