Reversing Bleeper (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
My Ace Milano does not come equipped with any type of reversing warning, I know some of you will be saying "Thank the Lord" but i like people to know i am reversing a 3.5 ton vehicle, i looked around and found these:
Reversing Bulb

Took a chance at just over £3 and waited for them to arrive, once here i fitted them in about 5 mins and must say i was pleasantly surprised, loud enough to be heard but too loud that people think a Morrison's lorry has entered the camp ground, they just replace your reversing bulb.
Not sure if anyone has tried them but if not thought i would let you know how mine went.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I thought about trying those so will give it a go not bothered if they are legal might be safer

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
So how do you switch them off at night? Was told it's illegal for any audible warning to be sounded between 2300 and 0700 on any vehicle. Might be wrong of course:)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
So how do you switch them off at night? Was told it's illegal for any audible warning to be sounded between 2300 and 0700 on any vehicle. Might be wrong of course:)
Correct ,had to have an isolating switch to switch them off between 2300_0700 hrs then again ice cream vans are supposed to turn of their jingle at 1900hrs . Haha .

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I tried one of those light bulb bleeper thingies on my MH and the bleeper packed up after not very long. Didn't bother with another.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ours came with the beeper, Ralph disabled it. It's got a great reversing camera fitted and the beep was annoying to us. Let alone others ( we thought ) if we had to reverse onto a pitch after a day out etc.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I had one on my RV and I ripped it out .. literally .. pain in the proverbial..

My advice,.. forget the idea.. day or night you won't be popular reversing on a campsite or an aire ..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
most tom dick and harrys don't drive cars close to 3.5 tons with limited rear view

if you cannot see to reverse using mirrors and or camera , you should get someone to guide you .. a beeper is not a replacement for rear view vision ...

Highway Code
Look carefully before you start reversing. You should

• use all your mirrors
  • check the ‘blind spot’ behind you (the part of the road you cannot see easily in the mirrors)
  • check there are no pedestrians (particularly children), cyclists, other road users or obstructions in the road behind you.

Reverse slowly while
  • checking all around
  • looking mainly through the rear window
  • being aware that the front of your vehicle will swing out as you turn.

Get someone to guide you if you cannot see clearly.

You MUST NOT reverse your vehicle further than necessary.
Law CUR reg 106

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Didn't say it was a replacement for being able to see presumably they are on trucks and busses to aid safety as the vehicles we drive resemble them it might be a good idea to use them if you dont want to fine if I do nothing to do with you very usefull to quote the highway code especially the bit about looking out of the rear window (which most of us don't have) are you suggesting that if driving solo no-one in a motorhome can reverse?

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
Our MH has a reversing bleeper which is silenced when the sidelights are switched on (presumably a relay triggered by the lights circuit)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
are you suggesting that if driving solo no-one in a motorhome can reverse?

never said or suggested that..

It is the driver's responsibility , whether solo or not to make sure it is safe to proceed at all times.

The current status quo shifts this and is used to intimidate visually impaired and other people out of the driver's way. If the driver cannot see it is clear he or she should enlist the help of a colleague and/or use side mirrors, rear view camera(s) and proceed with more caution.

And a person who is severely visually and hearing impaired will be in danger from traffic no matter what excessive noise is made.

The kind of noise emitted is very distressing to people with some conditions, such as mental health problems or autism spectrum disorders, and is of a type which is difficult to tell the direction of.

There are many situations where there are a lot of vehicles around, they are all sounding alarms and the noise sounds like it is coming from all around anyway.

It will be argued that the alarms are necessary to protect visually impaired people, but the only thing a visually impaired person can realistically do in that situation is panic.

The alarms are of no assistance to anyone from a safety point of view, it is just the worst kind of 'cover your arse' .

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
If you fit one of these alarm type bulbs to a new vehicle it may cause havoc to the canbus system and land you in the doo doo.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
We had a really loud reversing beeper on our first Hymer (came already fitted). It was a right pain, always caused dirty looks and scowls when pitching at campsites.

How to make yourself unpopular- arrive at a Funster meet early Saturday morning (10am) when everyone else had been partying in the Bowling Green Pub the night before, and have 3 goes at lining up on your pitch!
:blush::blush:

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
My MH has a device fitted to the centre of the steering wheel for sound activation when reversing. I would be amazed if that the OP's doesn't have one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back