Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi there

We are new motorhomers booked on our third ever trip to Somerset this weekend, with our brand new, never used awning, which my sister will be sleeping in.

Forecast for Saturday is severe gales and torrential rain - eek!

Has anyone used an inflatable awning in this sort of weather? Any advice, other than cancelling and staying at home!

Cheers,
Jane

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi there

We are new motorhomers booked on our third ever trip to Somerset this weekend, with our brand new, never used awning, which my sister will be sleeping in.

Has anyone used an inflatable awning in this sort of weather? Any advice, other than cancelling and staying at home!

Cheers,
Jane
Make sure you have a set of storm straps and position the van so the prevailing wind hits the van first offering some protection for the awning
We are down here at the mo and they have been known to get it wrong weather nr bude is lovely for now anyway

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Park it so the awning is downwind of the MH if you can, but away from trees because of the danger of falling branches etc. But given the forecast it's not a great weekend to be away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Cheers,
Jane

Well I would not put an awning up with that forecast. Nothing to stop you sheltering in your MH though.

Even if the awning survives you'll not sleep a wink waiting for it to escape. Trust me, we've been there more than once.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi there

Cheers,
Jane
Either leave your sister at home, or all cuddle up together in the van, I wouldn't leave any sort of awning outside all night when you don't know what might come.

Upvote 0

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
as said above its its windy then little chance of sleep. If it get real rough then its best not to put it up. But still use the van, its nice inside when its rough outside.:)

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi there

Cheers,
Jane
Get yourself a small two man tent. Erect it outside the van and peg it down. She will be as happy and as dry as a bug in a rug. You can pick them up for peanuts and they pack up very small..(y)

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Get yourself a small two man tent. Erect it outside the van and peg it down. She will be as happy and as dry as a bug in a rug. You can pick them up for peanuts and they pack up very small..(y)
Agreed, a small pop-up will cost less than twenty quid.
We never leave our awning out in a storm, seen too many incidents and had a few near misses ourselves...

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
the inflatable awning will probably survive quite happily, we have one and it can sometimes partially collapse but then immediately re-erect itself, no harm done to it, but not sure I would be happy to be sleeping in it

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Severe weather warning in August. Bloody typical.
I've just worked through a week of glorious sunshine with a weekend in North Wales booked to look forward to !
Now it looks like we're going to be either blown or washed into the river Mawddach.
Grrrrrrr British weather !

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I don't recall these sort of storms pre Brexit.

Is it a sign?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I don't recall these sort of storms pre Brexit.

Is it a sign?

Of course it's the result of Brexit innet? The BBC 'as got pissed off with the Meteorological Office because they forecasted sun and light after Brexit, FOR EVERYONE THAT VOTED TO STAY!!!:cheers:
So!:boxing:

They gave the contract to bloody Johnny Furriner in Dutchland, an' ee's gonna make us pay innet!:doh:

Do try to keep up Christopher!:hi5:More effort dear boy! more effort needed!

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Be the perfect hosts and let your sister have the van and you in the awning.
I wouldn't but that is beside the point....

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the inflatable awning will probably survive quite happily, we have one and it can sometimes partially collapse but then immediately re-erect itself, no harm done to it, but not sure I would be happy to be sleeping in it

Pegged out properly with storm straps I agree... they are designed for rough weather .. unlike roll out awnings which are fair weather only..

I'm hoping for some rough weather to test mine this w/e .. we are in south Wales so may cop it..... I have every confidence it will be fine..

will post findings ..

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Where's your sense of adventure....! If its Somerset you'll probably be in a valley and Cornwall will take the sting out to it by the time it gets to you, just make sure you are well pegged down and you'll be fine...:coolest:

:pray:

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
If you have any spare rain pls send it to me. We returned home from Spain about a month ago and have had very little precipitation since then. Don't worry about sending any wind, I have my own.

Enjoy yourselves and if necessary use the awning as an ark.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I hate being called Christopher.

My Mum used to use my full name when she was cross with me, now my wife does it.

Why not just Chris all the time?:(

?:cool:?

Upvote 0

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
We're in Weymouth and the forecast is for heavy rain early hours of tonight and through till late Saturday afternoon.

Got our Kela awning up with my daughter and her friend in it.

I'm sure it'll be fine - they didn't even realise it rained last night.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I think it's the wind gusts that are going to be a problem for awnings this weekend. According to weather forecast gusts of 42 mph predicted early hours of Sunday morning in Weymouth. Batten down the hatches!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
3319jane

3319jane

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks everyone - we will see how it goes and make sure it's well secured if we do use it. If not, it's going to be cosy in our MH with the three of us and 2 dogs!!

Upvote 0

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Well one gust of wind pulled the tunnel section out of 1/3 of the figure 8.

Now got the tunnel disconnected and rolled up against the main section.

I'll wait till the wind drops before reattaching it and making a "fix" to stop it happening again

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Just checked our local forecast and it predicts thunderstorms and gusts of 60 kph between 0800 and 1400 tomorrow. Can't you just keep your weather over there?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Wait and see. I'm in a field in East Devon at the moment and all week the forecast has been saying 100% chance of heavy rain this morning. Guess what? It's not raining.

Latest forecast for tomorrow still suggests high winds but not so much in the way of rain.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back