What size trailer? (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
To stop being overweight, I’m thinking of towing a trailer.

Is there any advice out there about what to seek or avoid?

I think a braked one might be best. Maybe a 7’x4’ twin axle, to be able to take a scooter. Then I could fill the garage with Helium.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
buy what you need..

I have used both single axle, non braked Loadlugger and a double axle braked .. both box trailers from Lynton Trailers .. with loading ramps.. I carried a 125 cc motorcycle in the double axled one.

On site the double axel was heavy to manhandle.. and double wheels make it hard to turn..
the single axel was much easier..

I'd say buy the smallest that does the job..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it is a small trailer you can't see in the wing mirrors remember you will need a reversing camera to be able to see it when reversing - if that makes sense! :)

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I’ve not had a T/A trailer, but have had a couple of T/A caravans. If you lift the front axle off the ground with the jockey wheel, turning is much easier (maybe less so if you’re overweight).

I think T/A is more stable towing and easier to reverse, although the short distance to the axle will not help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I just bought one of these.
750kg UNBRAKED Twin axle but easy to manoeuvre if you lower the jockey wheel and raise the front axle off the ground.
What you see is what you get and it's as wide overall as an average car and a good distance from hitch to axle group so pretty easy to reverse.
I fitted 14 more lashing rings and a pair of rear prop stands but that's personal choice

Last edited:
OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes, that’s the kind of thing I was thinking of but not so long. (That seller does not appear to have sold much though.)

I wasn’t sure if prop stands would be needed on a T/A.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
this is what i use, it has not been any problem at all tows great it has my honda scooter awning geny windbreaks bbq etc in. 750kg unbreaked
phone pics 273.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, that’s the kind of thing I was thinking of but not so long. (That seller does not appear to have sold much though.)

I wasn’t sure if prop stands would be needed on a T/A.
He hasn't sold a lot via ebay but would you buy without viewing first ?
I saw it on eBay then rang to arrange a viewing.
As I expected so bought it at his house via bank transfer outside ebay.
Prop stands.......maybe not needed but loading a heavy bike etc while unhitched isn't all that stable.
The length does seem excessive but I have a bike channel which simply lays on the bed and secured with 4 x ratchet straps and is almost the length of the trailer bed.
The only bit which doesn't work is the tipper function.
The same chassis is used on the single axle version which pivots easily on the centered axle whereas the twin axle is set wrong and too heavy to tip as you are also lifting the front axle and wheels while the rear axle is set too far back behind the centre point.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
He hasn't sold a lot via ebay but would you buy without viewing first ?
I saw it on eBay then rang to arrange a viewing.
As I expected so bought it at his house via bank transfer outside ebay.
A cunning way to avoid their fees!

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Nice trailer - what make?
(and tugged by two nice horses)
images

Model 120V Van Trailers are based on our successful and well proven 720 Platform trailers. They have a heavy duty galvanised steel chasis with a waterproof, lightweight glassfibre body.

Plated at 750Kg gross weight the trailer has a carrying capacity of nearly half a ton and does not require overrun brakes, however, the trailer and its load must weigh less than half the weight of the towing vehicle.

The floor is 18mm non-slip phenol coated plywood and the sides are protected inside by galvanised steel tying rails and the front by steel bulkhead rails.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Bateson make superb trailers and used to supply our transporters to our spec, good people to deal with straight out of the factory.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back