Site near Hay on Wye? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
can anyone recommend a small, quiet site near Hay?nothing commercial, really dont like big organised sites!
Thank you
If everything is still the same , you can overnight in the car park right in the centre of the town, was free, don't know if it still is, couple of years since we were there(y):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Yes, I like the look of this. Is it quiet? It looks like it's next to an A road?

It was quiet when we went back in April, the road wasn't busy then, it's kept immaculately clean & tidy by the live on site owner who is extremely helpful.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Looks a great spot. I like the fact they say you can walk along the Offa's Dyke path from site. Must give that a try.

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Hi Sue, You must try Castlefields Camping.
It's a lovely site attached to a very good pub, that does excellent food(y)
Viv

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If everything is still the same , you can overnight in the car park right in the centre of the town, was free, don't know if it still is, couple of years since we were there(y):)

Yep...still free from 6pm to 8am. One day in seven. Sadly I've seen several MHers decide that the rules don't apply to them and stay on beyond 8am without paying.

Unfortunately I've found using this car park recently has resulted in lack-of-sleep bingo, where I get to tick one or more of the following:
  1. Boy racers driving around the car park until 11pm
  2. Boy racers turning up in the middle of the night revving their engines
  3. Motorhomes running their engines at midnight, presumably because their batteries are flat
  4. Milk tankers turning up and running their engines at 5am
  5. Lorries overnighting and leaving at 6am
  6. Locals throwing their bottles in the recycling skips at the bottom of the car park before 7am
  7. The council emptying the bins before 7am
Last Friday, after abandoning overnighting in Brecon during the jazz festival, I managed to tick 1, 2, 6 and 7 :(

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
It does look good, are there other walks around,? we are hoping to get some heavy duty walks in!
Not sure about that. The walk to Hay is down to a river and across some fields - lovely for the dog if no livestock around. However the A road adjoins the site and it is pretty perilous to walk along - although we did walk to the local pub which served good food - but it was definitely single file stuff. We stayed for three nights and just walked into Hay cross country every day. We didn't ask the owner about any other dog walks - sorry! Spotless facilities and the owner really friendly and helpful.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Simply turn left out of the site, walk along the verge for about 15 mins, take the first half decent road / track on the left, follow your nose & you'll be by the bridge in Hay in about 30 mins.

The across the fields / river route to Hay is certainly more heavy duty . . . :eek:

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
The car park is excellent, stayed a few weeks ago and NO PROBLEMS!

Colyboy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back