Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I have literally tens of thousands of photos cluttering up the hard drives on my pc and laptop. I just had a quick look on Amazon to see how much memory sticks are these days so that I can back them up.

I was surprised to see gizmo, 128gb of storage for only £8.70 including next day delivery via Prime. Also I see that Prime members can have 'free' unlimited storage via Amazon drive, take a week to upload 60gb+ of photos though.

Paul

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I use one of these. You can get a 1tb one for £49

Amazon product ASIN B00D0L5BH8

I just went to Amazon and thought the first one on the list was cheap enough, didn't know you could get 1TB for that price. I am thinking about storing videos on one of these sticks so I can play them via the tv in the van.

Paul

PS Just noticed, you can get 2TB for about £35!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I use a mix of stand alone hard drives and flash drives, never trust one storage media.

Memory sticks are so small these days they are easy to lose.

Wouldn't touch cloud systems with a bargepole, pinch all your allowance when not on unlimited, been trying to get rid of two of the damn things that came with my machines.

Reactions: GJH
Mar 11, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Don't Own One Yet
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Always back up to be sure you don't loose data.... then back up the back up and put one off site. You'd be surprised how many don't and then all your images are lost forever.
Think of it like the old days.... you had the photo AND the negative, one to back up the other :)

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Wouldn't touch cloud systems with a bargepole, pinch all your allowance when not on unlimited, been trying to get rid of two of the damn things that came with my machines.

Couldn't agree more, don't trust the security on the cloud systems and I'm sure the costs will go up when people become reliant on them.

Rather than use a 3rd Party Cloud I use a Synology NAS setup with 6gb of unmirrored storage on my home network. This is for my photos, films and mp3 collection which I can access remotely with IPad and IPhone. I also use the NAS drive for backup for our three laptops. I then have a 4TB portable drive which I backup the NAS data as a belt and braces fallback.

When we are going away I just plug in a 128gb memory stick to drop a load of films and TV series for watching in the van.

Cheers
Alan

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Of course the 1TB HDD is cheaper per GB than the OP's USB memory stick but just keep in mind that 1TB will take a longer time to fill, and will lose more data when it [inevitably] fails - and is more of an initial outlay.

I use a mix of USB sticks, as well as portable & desktop HDD's depending on what I need.

As such, thanks to @Easyliving for the heads up - just ordered 1x 128gb & 1x 256gb as they'll compliment my existing storage solutions (y).

Edit:
Just cancelled order - too many reviews posting this sticks are fake.
If you do get one, run a small piece of free software H2testw which will accurately report the true capacity of these sticks, some reviewers suggest as low as 16gb.

In addition so many of the 5* reviews are suspiciously similar, especially in length and from anonymous "Amazon Customer"

Last edited:

Deleted User
Couldn't agree more, don't trust the security on the cloud systems and I'm sure the costs will go up when people become reliant on them.

Rather than use a 3rd Party Cloud I use a Synology NAS setup with 6gb of unmirrored storage on my home network. This is for my photos, films and mp3 collection which I can access remotely with IPad and IPhone. I also use the NAS drive for backup for our three laptops. I then have a 4TB portable drive which I backup the NAS data as a belt and braces fallback.

When we are going away I just plug in a 128gb memory stick to drop a load of films and TV series for watching in the van.

Cheers
Alan

All that stuff is a bit too technical for me, and expensive, plus I don't really have masses of data or equipment to share it with.

My BIL has a NAS system he uses with his HiFi mainly. HiFi probably not the correct term these days, he has a Linn system that must have cost thousands......good sound though:)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
One major problem with a USB stick - if you forget to dismount it properly and just pull it out of the computer it can crash, and the data will become unrecoverable. You only need to do this once.

For additional storage I have a second hard drive inside the PC. The second one is usually the drive from the previous PC with all Windows folders deleted. I don't touch 'Cloud' storage. For backup I tend to use portable HDDs - you can make these up from your old computer drives fitted into the proper housing for about a tenner.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a couple of NAS drives to which my important files and Jill's are backed up automatically whenever our PCs are on, using RealtimeSync. We also have a number of USB hard drives of various sizes (depending on when we bought them) to which we back up files on a regular basis. I also back up my files to the Vivobook, and an extra USB drive which we take with us, before each trip.
I use memory sticks for moving files around but not for permanent backups.
I wouldn't touch any cloud systems with a barge pole.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've found that a lot of the 128GB memory sticks simply don't work. I thought it might be something that I was doing wrong but 32GB sticks worked perfectly. Turns out that a lot of systems cannot operate the larger sticks. I happened to mention this to my mate only to be told that everyone was having similar issue's. We have a Kenwood double din sat nav radio/cd player in the moho but it steadfastly refuses to recognise 128GB sticks. Stick a few hundred music tracks on a 32gb stick & away she goes, playing perfectly.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Turns out that a lot of systems cannot operate the larger sticks.
Similar problems can occur with SD/MicroSD cards as well.
The other day we bought a SanDisk Ultra plus Class 10 card to use with a 6 year old camcorder, thinking that it would be better than the Class 4 card we've had for several years. It wasn't and we think it's because the device wasn't built to handle the more advanced card.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Could somebody, briefly and in words of not more more than one syllable,
tell me how and what I would need.
Photos and music in my case, not large amounts of either.
PS. I make a muppet look intelligent:)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Buy a couple of USB hard drives and copy all your important data to both of them so you have 2 backups.

Myself I have a NAS drive running mirrored RAID so all data is automatically saved to 2 discs and I also back that up to a USB hard drive.

USB sticks are not reliable enough I have seen quite a few die also had an SD card literally go up in smoke.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Buy a couple of USB hard drives and copy all your important data to both of them so you have 2 backups.

Myself I have a NAS drive running mirrored RAID so all data is automatically saved to 2 discs and I also back that up to a USB hard drive.

USB sticks are not reliable enough I have seen quite a few die also had an SD card literally go up in smoke.
I agree. A couple of Broken Link Removed from PC World will cost you less than £100.
Keep them in different rooms from your PC as a bit extra safeguard from theft/fire/flood.

OP
OP
Easyliving

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Blimey, you're certainly a knowledgeable lot! As has been mentioned, (multiple) backups are important. When you lose hours of work because you have not kept copies you realise how important they are.

Paul

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When buying USB pen drives, I always buy sandisk from a reputable supplier. I also now always buy USB 3 for the larger ones as USB 2 is just too slow to copy any serious quantity of data.

I have had too many fake sticks now. so what I do is look around at reputable suppliers and if I go cheap I never buy cheaper than 10% below the average price for that capacity.

To test them I simply copy across a bunch of movies as soon as I get them to fill it up to the specified size. It very quickly fails if it is a fake one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back