Which is the best fresh water tank hose? (1 Viewer)

Originalsmoothie

Free Member
Jun 15, 2016
Southam
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
Exp
I'm a newbie
I currently live on a narrowboat. When I first moved afloat I tried a variety of hoses. The one I stuck with is a Hozelock Professional anti kink hose. I've had the same 30m hose on a reel for three or four years now. It's bomb proof, but it's quite bulky for our Hymer's garage. We'll be in the Hymer full time from October, so I want a hose which will stand a fair amount of abuse.

Which hose do you favour and why?

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had a regular hosepipe but stumbled across a really tiny and compact hosepipe from Wilko with connectors. It is so compact, its brilliant and very robust. Think ours it about 2 years old now.
I think this is it

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
An anti-kink one just like you have. We also had one on our NB.
We have a reasonably short version of that now - cant remember where from but could be 10mts.
You tend not to need a very long one as you can usually move the van nearer than a NB!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We now have a 30m food grade hose that we bought from Ebay and fitted onto a B&Q throughfeed reel. Kept in the Hymer garage with no problem. Only had it for a few outings, so only time will tell how robust it will be.

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
Bought a flat hose on a reel. But never use it. Prefer a 10L watering can and a 10L collapsible water bottle.
Wander to tap, chat to whoever around, fill, wander back. Empty, rest, repeat. No rush.
One wander a day keeps us topped up, and gives me some exercise.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I think it comes down to how much space you can afford. If you've got oodles of space, like a man shed garage, then a good old robust food grade hose of good quality on a reel.
However, as our space is at a premium, I used a flat hose for around 8/9 years and only replaced it because I came across a motorhomer selling bits and bobs at Stenay and it was brand new at €5.00 (after haggling from €6.00). I also have one of those collapsible snakey type ones. 100' I think and fold up into a little container. That's only in emergencies though or as an extension.
It's how much space you can afford.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I use a Karcher compact hose HERE it's a smaller bore then normal so takes a little longer to fill up.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Be warned that a cheap garden hose can impart a rubbery taste to your freshwater tank that will remain for a long time and taint every cup of tea. :)

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
We started with a 'flat' hose but found that it kept splitting so it was 'abandoned' after about 12 months. We then went for a , which is small bore and compact so fits easily in our MH storage. We find it mush easier to store than one of the regular garden hoses on a reel.

Our standby is a plastic watering can.

KH

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I keep a flat hose for emergencies but tend to top up daily with a couple of watering cans, easier :)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I bought a flat section hose which is three narrow tubes side by side, had it 5 years and it's just started leaking where the hose joins the tap connector, will have a look at it later today to see if it's fixable. It's a bit slower to fill, especially if you're using those "timed delivery" bournes but a watering can's not much use then either.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I've got one of the 20m blue flat hoses on a spool which is very neat and doesn't take up too much space. I've cut this into 2 x 10m segments for ease of use. Has been excellent but you have to ensure it is laid flat before winding back in so the water inside can drain and you have to have an open connector in the end as the ones fitted to mine have the auto shutoff connectors. I also have 2 x 75m X Hoses.
Brilliant bits of kit. They pack into my small watering can for storage, with the appropriate connectors I have 170m of hose. Too much some will say but I'd rather have too much than not enough.
Used the X Hoses joined together last weekend on a CL, worked well, and allowed a MoHo drive over them whilst in use and no damage was caused. (They did stop and ask if OK before driving forward).
Water tastes fine, which we use for everything.
regards
Nik.

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
I use a Brunner flat hose reel. Its food grade hose which is 3 small pipes side by it takes a little longer to fill bit it is worth it as it is compact and winds back onto the reel very easily. I have only had it for 3 months so cannot comment on its longevity.

Blossom

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We have a Fiamma 30 litre water carrier and Whale pump as a back up for when the short whale hose connector won't reach the supply.

Also have the grey water one as well to empty grey into when you can't get near the drain

Really compact, decent capacity, on wheels and take up little room in the van lockers

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We've got food grade hose on a standard garden hose connected reel. I think it's about 25 or 30m but the reel means I don't have to unwind more than I need. I've got another length of hose with connectors in there somewhere just on the off chance we need longer but never used it.

We also have an Aquaroll with a Whale pump as a back up.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Be warned that a cheap garden hose can impart a rubbery taste to your freshwater tank that will remain for a long time and taint every cup of tea. :)
For many years now, we always have bottled water. Around £0.26 per 2ltrs. Even cheaper abroad (except Germany because of non refundable deposit). I usually carry 6 x 2ltrs and as I'm filling up, I fill any empty bottles. Always works for us and always tastes good and fresh water tank contents used for washing, showers etc.
Once tried that 'fresh water filter' and just another gadget. It slowed the water down unbelievably so had it removed. Also bought a filter jug but never used it.
Usually purchase 6 x 2ltrs at Lidl.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For many years now, we always have bottled water. Around £0.26 per 2ltrs. Even cheaper abroad (except Germany because of non refundable deposit). I usually carry 6 x 2ltrs and as I'm filling up, I fill any empty bottles. Always works for us and always tastes good and fresh water tank contents used for washing, showers etc.
Once tried that 'fresh water filter' and just another gadget. It slowed the water down unbelievably so had it removed. Also bought a filter jug but never used it.
Usually purchase 6 x 2ltrs at Lidl.
We use bottled water for drinking neat but we fill the tank with a hose and use the water out of the taps for washing and in the kitchen, including filling the kettle.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
This food grade hose bit makes me laugh.
It may be the first time you use it, but not after that.
No hose will totally empty when wound, loose coiled etc.
So if any bugs are going to grow, it will do in any hose.
I use and have done for 10 years flat hose on a reel, yes you do have to make sure it is flat to re reel, only 30 seconds out of my life!
Bottled water for drinking, on board tank water for the kettle.
Not had a tummy bug yet, hope I have not spoken early.
Had mor stomach upsets from various food outlets around the world than on board water

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I use and have done for 10 years flat hose on a reel, yes you do have to make sure it is flat to re reel, only 30 seconds out of my life!
Had mor stomach upsets from various food outlets around the world than on board water
To be fair we use bottled water for kettle too as rarely drink water neat (can it be diluted?) (with alcohol I suppose).
As regards the hose, I think you're absolutely spot on. I've sanitised the tank, purified it but still rather have bottled to consume, hot or cold. I still thought there was a slight taint to the water and I can usually tell if someone makes a brew and used their tank rather than bottled.
On another angle, when the water pump was taken out, I cleaned the hoses from the top to the submersible pump and it looked awful, slimy and glad I'd not neen drinking from the 'fresh water' tank.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Only drink bottled water, and use for hot drinks cooking etc. I got a 20m flat hose cut into 3 sections short med long so when the ground is covered with shit and piss from someones toilet emptying fiasco (what's wrong with people? you got a tap and a hose wash it down!!!) or you are parked close to the tap it does not touch the ground and with back to back connections so I can hook them all up if needed, I have all tap connections, rubber fit, all screw on sizes, and adaptors, so can fill anywhere uk or europe and if i cant i got a watercan. Hoses all roll up small about the size of your palm and secured with rubber bands and kept in the gas locker.

Fellraven

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Maryport
Funster No
MH
Exsis-t
Exp
4yrs

I dont think food grade is anything to do with bugs. I'm not a plastics expert but quoting from wikapedia :
Even though the legal requirement in various nations would be different, the food safe symbol generally assures that:

1. The container surface is free of any toxic contaminants which could be contacted from the manufacturing process.
  2. The material the container is made of shall not potentially become a source of toxic contamination through usage (degeneration). This is assured by estimating and regulating the "migration limits" of the material. In EU regulation, the overall migration is limited to 10 mg of substances/dm² of the potential contact surface. The specific migration for various materials would be different for different temperature levels (of food as well as storage) and for different food items depending on variables such as pH of the food stuff. The toxicity considerations of a specific material may include the carcinogenity of the substance. The regulations governing these aspects may vary in different nations.[3][7][8]

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Last edited:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I dont think food grade is anything to do with bugs. I'm not a plastics expert but quoting from wikapedia :
Even though the legal requirement in various nations would be different, the food safe symbol generally assures that:

1. The container surface is free of any toxic contaminants which could be contacted from the manufacturing process.
  2. The material the container is made of shall not potentially become a source of toxic contamination through usage (degeneration). This is assured by estimating and regulating the "migration limits" of the material. In EU regulation, the overall migration is limited to 10 mg of substances/dm² of the potential contact surface. The specific migration for various materials would be different for different temperature levels (of food as well as storage) and for different food items depending on variables such as pH of the food stuff. The toxicity considerations of a specific material may include the carcinogenity of the substance. The regulations governing these aspects may vary in different nations.[3][7][8]
That was my thought also, I was always of the opinion that a normal garden hose would leak minute quantities of toxins in to the water, which over the years could eventually add up to a health risk.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I have an Aquaroll filler pipe which I use to fill a plastic jerry can for day to day use, but I also have 2 lengths of flat food grade hose which was left over from my caravanning days on full service pitches.

Even in the MH, we would occasionally take family holidays on serviced pitches and I would leave the blue hose connected to the pitch tap, with the filler end covered, next to the fresh tank inlet, ready for the next fill.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
We use the expandable type got three so 150 ft if needed joined together, take up no room, use a 5 liter container for drinking water and tea.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back