Eurotunnel - When do you turn the gas off. (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
How late can you leave it before turning the gas off, when going on Eurotunnel? Do people find that the fridge is off for a short enough time to keep the food cold that is in it? Obviously we do not want to take meat in the fridge if it would be off for too long.
I have read on other threads that they check to make sure the cylinders are turned off.
Also LPG cylinders can only be 80% full, can ordinary cylinders be full?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Mike usually turns ours off at the gate where the eurotunnel staff check its off, just before joining the lanes. Maximum time off 45 minutes.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
they stop you and ask you to open locker just before boarding, or at least joining the queue to board, we have never had an issue, it will be back on inside 40 minutes and will still have a few more minutes on 12V even after turning off presuming you have auto selection on your fridge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So long as you don't keep opening up the fridge the contents will stay cold for a long time, a good few hours in fact, such as when going on a ferry instead of Eurotunnel.

They ask you if you've turned it off shortly before you go to the boarding lanes so you can leave it on until then.

Refillable cylinders can only be filled to 80% as they have a shut off, and other cylinders, such as Calor will be at 80% anyway even when full (unless you're someone who fills their own Calor ones and gets the calculation wrong!:eek:).

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
This is where they check your gas - after the British Passport Office and before the French Passport Office.

You are told to go to the left to either bay 1 or 2.

Eurotunnel GasOff (800 x 438).jpg

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Are you supposed to turn the gas off .... how would you cook your breakfast on the journey in the tunnel?

I jest ... just turn it off when they ask to check it ... if they don't ask, then do it while waiting to board.
Your fridge will not be a problem so long as you remember to turn on the gas when you reach the other side,

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
LPG and ordinary bottled gas are the same thing. Gas bottles are weighed when filled to ensure they aren't over 80% full. Gas tanks (which can look like bottles - Gasit and others) can be refilled by the user and have automatic shut off valves to prevent filling in excess of 80%.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Your fridge will be OK for hours with no power to it, usually 24 hours if you don't open the door. The tunnel takes 35 minutes.

I usually turn my gas off when they stop me to check it. No point in doing it before and I've got to open the locker anyway.

I don't bother stopping just to turn it back on. That gets done wherever we end up stopping for the night.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
This is where they check your gas - after the British Passport Office and before the French Passport Office.

You are told to go to the left to either bay 1 or 2.

View attachment 120142

We've never had it checked there, never had to stop there at all. Every time we've been through it's been checked at the little hut where they tell you which boarding lane to go in apart from the odd time at Folkestone they've done it before we leave the terminal car park and scribbled something on the hanger.

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Arrive. Make a coffee. Turn off gas before moving off towards customs. Always been checked. Drive to boarding lanes. Always been checked there too. Drive on train. Drink coffee. You fridge contents will be fine.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mines off when we travel, so is already off when I get to the check point and will be running on 12volt till you stop on the train.

OP
OP
Jasz
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
Thanks for your replies, I thought it would be fine but SWMBO does worry rather (y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
How late can you leave it before turning the gas off, when going on Eurotunnel? Do people find that the fridge is off for a short enough time to keep the food cold that is in it? Obviously we do not want to take meat in the fridge if it would be off for too long.
I have read on other threads that they check to make sure the cylinders are turned off.
Also LPG cylinders can only be 80% full, can ordinary cylinders be full?
Its called Ullage. Any container, liquid, gas etc has to have a maximum filling to allow for expansion possibly during temperature changes. Either way, you don't have to concern yourself as @tonyidle said either a cut off at 80% or cylinders such as Calor (other suppliers are available) are filled to 80% of the cylinder. The 20% is ullage.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Our van is fitted with an electric gas isolation switch / valve. The switch is located beside the main control panel above the habitation door. Does using this switch satisfy the Eurotunnel requirements?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Our van is fitted with an electric gas isolation switch / valve. The switch is located beside the main control panel above the habitation door. Does using this switch satisfy the Eurotunnel requirements?

No. You have to physically turn the valves on the bottles off.

We have the same switch.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
My dad was going to get one of those switches fitted because he struggles to turn his gas off so thank you for the above info Nick.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Am I correct in assuming that everyone has one of those safety gadgets fitted to enable driving with the gas on?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Am I correct in assuming that everyone has one of those safety gadgets fitted to enable driving with the gas on?
I haven't but I don't turn the cylinder off just the fridge. I run on 12v and at the tunnel I turn it off when parked at the terminal. If we get waved straight through to boarding SWMBO turns it off while we wait to board. We have never been checked.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I've just one week into our 1st Mh trip and we have moved every day , and I find myself getting into the habit of driving with the gas turned ON ,

Deleted User
The reason I asked is that there seems to be quite a few people that do travel with the gas on and fridge lit whilst travelling, why else would it need to be turned off......or am I missing something?

Bacchus

Free Member
Jul 27, 2015
Staines
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer
Exp
since 2011
The reason I asked is that there seems to be quite a few people that do travel with the gas on and fridge lit whilst travelling, why else would it need to be turned off......or am I missing something?

Habit I suppose, probably a boat thing, but I can't reconcile a naked flame with gusts of 70mph sucking at the vents. Maybe I should try it, because it is a pain really but it is one of my "pre-flight" checks and off goes the gas and on goes the 12v

cant beat driving with a nice casserole bubbling away in the oven

Mrs D's crock-pot thermos cooker thingy. Get it bubbling away, seal the lid, and shove it in a locker.

see here

Deleted User
I must admit to driving with the fridge lit on our last caravan and the 5'er as we did not have an auxiliary connection on the pickup, no mishaps but always switch to 12v now ( leave the gas on though in case we need a brew! ).

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I must admit to driving with the fridge lit on our last caravan and the 5'er as we did not have an auxiliary connection on the pickup, no mishaps but always switch to 12v now ( leave the gas on though in case we need a brew! ).
We usually make a flask of just boiling water before we set off or breakfast time ish then if we want to stop for a cuppa, we don't need to put the hob on and importantly not have to wait for the hob to cool sufficiently to put the glass top down.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My milk is still ice cold in my fridge after it has been switched off for over 24 hrs when doing Portsmouth Bilbao..There was a time years ago when we managed very well without fridges,,,,BUSBY :):)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
On most m/h there would be no flame in the fridge while travelling as it should switch to 12v while the engine is running.

Deleted User
On most m/h there would be no flame in the fridge while travelling as it should switch to 12v while the engine is running.

Not if the fridge is not automatic selection, our current one isn't so I have to remember to switch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back