LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I just jumped to the British and Continental van reviews section to read up on some of the Van conversions I'm looking at and was a little surprised at how few there are - especially given that I know some of you have or have had them.

I also saw in a post earlier that someone had given feedback, just three things they liked, a couple they didn't and what they had changed - which seemed like a great idea.

So let's form an orderly queue at the reviews page, >6m PVC owners can go first :drinks:

OK I'll get my coat! :imoutahere:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've got a PVC and didn't know there was a review section - so that might be a clue why there aren't many reviews!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We've got a PVC . XLWB. But seeing as though Ralph converted " pug" to our requirements , hes got everything on that we want. Plus nothing we don't. So I suppose our review wouldn't count.
Here's the link to Ralphs build. We love the Pug the PVC. So much easier to park and get you to the out of the way places we love.
Insulation was a real bug bear in ready made ones for us. Lots of converters didn't even bother with the doors for eg. Plus he wanted lots of other things on board.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I've got a PVC and didn't know there was a review section - so that might be a clue why there aren't many reviews!

So which one have you got, and is it any good ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We've got a PVC . XLWB. But seeing as though Ralph converted " pug" to our requirements , hes got everything on that we want. Plus nothing we don't. So I suppose our review wouldn't count.
Here's the link to Ralphs build. We love the Pug the PVC. So much easier to park and get you to the out of the way places we love.
Insulation was a real bug bear in ready made ones for us. Lots of converters didn't even bother with the doors for eg. Plus he wanted lots of other things on board.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/

Wow - that's pretty comprehensive! (and long ... 6.4m if I'm not mistaken) ;) (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
So which one have you got, and is it any good ;)
Murvi Morocco and yes, we love it. But I'm reluctant to do a review, it suits us but won't suit many others. I've written up a few of our trips here on the forum and I think they might be more useful - they show what you can do in it. :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Your not mistaken. And that bit longer makes all the difference. :rofl:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Renault Master,second one we have had,we had a Pug in between,but did not like the drive.So, Wildax Europa, 6.2 mtrs.Rear end lounge, 2x 6' plus beds,that can be made up into one big bed,proper shower,tippy up sink,medium size fridge and wardrobe. Passenger seat swivels,point for single table between the cab seats,or big table in lounge end.100 ltr fresh water and 100 ltr waste tanks with heaters,twin batteries. Lighting..........loads of settings,to suit ...All?..... moods.All fitted out inside very nice.You can talk to the Team and have yours tweeked where possible during the build,proper.
We have had fitted,Solar panel,awning and tow bar.
Love it. Get off to Elland now and get one bought.
Tea Bag... Happy customer

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Thanks Tea Bag, the Wildax Aurora is high on my list. (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are looking for a ready made PVC have a good look at the small scale producers, Murvi, Wild Ax and in Scotland, East Neuk and no doubt others I can't think of at the moment. My brother is buying one from the latter (East Neuk) and his experience echoes mine with Murvi. You don't talk to with salesmen at a dealership, you talk to the people who made it. They have a personal interest in the product.

Of course this may not be the cheapest option for you but buying second hand will help that. The difference in build quality compared to mass produced possibly cheaper alternatives you can only judge for yourself. :)

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
If you are looking for a ready made PVC have a good look at the small scale producers, Murvi, Wild Ax and in Scotland, East Neuk and no doubt others I can't think of at the moment. My brother is buying one from the latter (East Neuk) and his experience echoes mine with Murvi. You don't talk to with salesmen at a dealership, you talk to the people who made it. They have a personal interest in the product.

Of course this may not be the cheapest option for you but buying second hand will help that. The difference in build quality compared to mass produced possibly cheaper alternatives you can only judge for yourself. :)

The kind of things I'm particularly looking at are these - Adria Twin 600; Autocruise Accent; Dreamer D55; Globescout; Vantana K60; Boxlife/Boxstar 600; Foxy Van 600; Rapido V55/60; Tribute 669/670; Carabus 601; Westfalia Amundsen; Wildax Aurora. Looking for something with 3 seats, 2+1 beds and a separate lounge / bed. The opening post should have said Sub 6m :rolleyes: Most of these are imported from the EU but I did visit Wildax. I looked at East Nuek specs but I don't think they do one that matches my criteria.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The kind of things I'm particularly looking at are these - Adria Twin 600; Autocruise Accent; Dreamer D55; Globescout; Vantana K60; Boxlife/Boxstar 600; Foxy Van 600; Rapido V55/60; Tribute 669/670; Carabus 601; Westfalia Amundsen; Wildax Aurora. Looking for something with 3 seats, 2+1 beds and a separate lounge / bed. The opening post should have said Sub 6m :rolleyes: Most of these are imported from the EU but I did visit Wildax. I looked at East Nuek specs but I don't think they do one that matches my criteria.
OK, I can't help really. I know the sort of van you want but it isn't for us. The camperscout is a very well regarded van of that design but has a very cramped dinette in my view - but others will disagree. I like lots of lounging space in what is otherwise a small vehicle.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
OK, I can't help really. I know the sort of van you want but it isn't for us. The camperscout is a very well regarded van of that design but has a very cramped dinette in my view - but others will disagree. I like lots of lounging space in what is otherwise a small vehicle.

I think you are helping a lot. They all have quite cramped quarters on my list but then you can't fit a quart into a pint pot as they say, so I am looking for a 'Jack of all trades', I know that (y)

Not quite sure why everyone worries about these 'Others' that may disagree - bring it on! Opinions are like noses (we've all got one) :cheers:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have recently changed from a 2007 Bessacar e795 - 7.65m Coachbuilt to a 2010 Vantage Cub 5.4m. We havent had it long enough to write a review as we have only slept in it once but once Mrs Colpot has recovered from her total knee replacement we are looking forward to using it with a vengance.

The good points for us so far - rear lounge with 6ft beds (2 x singles or 1 x huge double). Solar Panel to keep the 2 x leisure batteries topped up. 12v only fridge so no more is it or isnt it alight on gas. Cold as well as hot blown air. Parking in a single car parking space instead of hunting for 2 or even 4 to park in.

The compromise is that the frigde/hob/sink is transverse behind the front seats so no walk through from cab - waiting for a rainy day to see how much of an issue this may be.

What would I change? The only thing so far is the sink in the Shower/Toilet - it would be good if it would fold up out of the way (as I believe it does in their later models) but the shower is still a good size and I wouldnt change the van on this point alone.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have a 2002 auto sleeper Symbol..only 5.2 metres but has twin singles or large double,,decent kitchen with drainboard,,,toilet and shower. Have fitted storage boxes to rear with bike rack above. Absolutely love it.Just done 9 weeks Spain and France,,really satisfied ,,,,,Downsized from 6 metre coach built and don't miss a thing about it,,,,BUSBY...

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
We have a 2002 auto sleeper Symbol..only 5.2 metres but has twin singles or large double,,decent kitchen with drainboard,,,toilet and shower. Have fitted storage boxes to rear with bike rack above. Absolutely love it.Just done 9 weeks Spain and France,,really satisfied ,,,,,Downsized from 6 metre coach built and don't miss a thing about it,,,,BUSBY...

We had a 1999 Autosleeper Harmony which is a bit smaller than the Symbol but I know what you mean. We loved the flexibility that van gave us. Apart from height barriers, we could park anywhere a car could and had no worries taking it down the narrowest of lanes. Unfortunately it was a bit too cramped for longer trips with two people and two large dogs so we decided to go a little bigger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back