Aug 15, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

I'm planning to take a 4 month sabbatical next year (May-Aug) to spend some quality time as a family before the kids start school. We've got two girls who will be 3- and 1-year(s) old by that point. The current plan is to buy a motorhome and travel around Europe for the whole 4 months, but we've never had a motorhome or camper van before. More than happy camping though. As a newbie, I've got a few questions I was hoping the kind people of this forum might be able to answer! So here goes:

- We're planning to buy privately rather than through a dealer as we may choose sell (or at least swap) the motorhome when we get back. Of course, we might love it so much that we won't be able to part with it. Does that make sense as a plan?
- Given the length of time we're travelling for, would a 6-berth give us much needed space over a 4-berth, or is a decent 4-berth plenty big enough?
- Are there any features/layouts that would be particularly useful for a 4 month holiday? Bearing in mind the 2 small children as well (e.g. beds in certain locations, garage for "stuff").
- As we'd be travelling almost exclusively on the continent, would LHD make sense over RHD?
- Anything else important we should

Thanks in advance!
Chris

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A major consideration will probably be the weight you can drive on your licence, unless you have taken an extra test you will be limited to 3.5t, this will restrict your size choices to some degree

nice plan though, hope you make it work (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Goto lots of dealers and look at all the vans. The layout is one of the most important factors. Decide how the kids would sleep, there are some models wit h bunk beds at the back. You could also goto the nec show in october and look at them all. Then at least you would know what you are looking for :). Don't dismiss dealers for 2nd hand vans you may just pick up one at a good price.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
- We're planning to buy privately rather than through a dealer as we may choose sell (or at least swap) the motorhome when we get back. Of course, we might love it so much that we won't be able to part with it. Does that make sense as a plan?

Yes, but go away for lots of weekends and a week or two in advance to iron out any snagging. There is ALWAYS snagging and stuff you will need to adapt / sort / buy.

- Given the length of time we're travelling for, would a 6-berth give us much needed space over a 4-berth, or is a decent 4-berth plenty big enough?

I would go for bigger and check out table size - our grandchildren like to play with trains and the like and Buffy's dinette table was a wee bit small, Jemima has a bigger yet lighter table and all the Brio will go on it.

- Are there any features/layouts that would be particularly useful for a 4 month holiday? Bearing in mind the 2 small children as well (e.g. beds in certain locations, garage for "stuff").

I would suggest the children go to bed at the back so you don't have to go to bed when they do. A transverse rear double could easily be temporarily divided down the middle to make shorter longitudinal child beds. You would then have the dinette to relax in and if you have a drop down (either over cab or central) or an over cab you all have your own space. Own space and privacy is important when living in a small space.

- As we'd be travelling almost exclusively on the continent, would LHD make sense over RHD?

Probably cheaper to buy LHD in the UK but you would also get less when you come to sell it. You might consider buying abroad if you are going the LHD route.

- Anything else important we should

What about a stand alone awning - or any awning? Just gives you more space and the modern light but strong awnings don't take long to put up or take down.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Don't dismiss dealers for 2nd hand vans you may just pick up one at a good price.

And get some sort of warranty plus LHD models can sometimes be had for less than an RHD in the UK.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
What a lovely idea. As the children are so young, you will want to be able to put them to bed whilst still having somewhere to stay up yourselves for any evening when too inclement to stay outside. A drop down overcab bed for yourselves would seem a good layout. You might also need one with a larger washroom so that one adult and one child can get in together! Many campsites on the continent however have designated parent and child rooms with baths.
Certainly a garage will be needed for "stuff" I know what goes with small children. It would be less hassle if you can leave your child seats strapped in place permanently ( I know what a faff these can be to set up) but if that is not possible then a good garage space just to store them when camped. Think about what you might need to take to explore any area you stop in. If you have been used to camping, you will have been used to having a car for day trips. Are you going to take bicycles with child seats or trailer for example. The MH with best storage are those with fixed rear bed raised up.

Don't worry so much about LHD or RHD as it is easy to drive on continent with either.

Good Luck, I am sure you will have a fabulous time and won't want to come home!

Upvote 0

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Although I think this is a great idea, take on board the advice about the weight of motorhome you can drive. If you eventually purchase a motorhome with a garage be careful about the weight of the rubbish you'll fill it with.

A motorhome with bunks may be the best option for you. It was for our friends when their kids were small. You can get a shorter van, ease of parking, etc. but space enough to spend time in.

Hope you find what you want and let us know all about your travels.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chris Peake

Free Member
Aug 15, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
@Triple7 is selling a Hymer which may suit have a look on the for sale section

Thanks Anthea, I'll take a look.

A major consideration will probably be the weight you can drive on your licence, unless you have taken an extra test you will be limited to 3.5t, this will restrict your size choices to some degree

Thanks DavidG58. Yes, both our licenses are restricted to <=3.5t unless we get C1 licenses, so this is a real consideration. Hoping to find something suitable in 3.5t otherwise its ~£2k for a C1 license each!

Goto lots of dealers and look at all the vans. The layout is one of the most important factors. Decide how the kids would sleep, there are some models wit h bunk beds at the back. You could also goto the nec show in october and look at them all. Then at least you would know what you are looking for :). Don't dismiss dealers for 2nd hand vans you may just pick up one at a good price.

Thanks Spidey, all good advice. Bunk beds are definitely worth looking at. Tempted to go to the NEC show in October, my parents live nearby so could combine a visit.

Yes, but go away for lots of weekends and a week or two in advance to iron out any snagging. There is ALWAYS snagging and stuff you will need to adapt / sort / buy.

Thanks Puddleduck. Definitely. We're starting to look now with the intention of buying in plenty of time to get out for trips before the May start. May be some cold weather testing!

I would go for bigger and check out table size - our grandchildren like to play with trains and the like and Buffy's dinette table was a wee bit small, Jemima has a bigger yet lighter table and all the Brio will go on it.

Good point, not something I'd thought of at all.

I would suggest the children go to bed at the back so you don't have to go to bed when they do. A transverse rear double could easily be temporarily divided down the middle to make shorter longitudinal child beds. You would then have the dinette to relax in and if you have a drop down (either over cab or central) or an over cab you all have your own space. Own space and privacy is important when living in a small space.

That's definitely a layout that could work, we were trying to work out what would give us our space in the evening when the children have gone to bed.

Probably cheaper to buy LHD in the UK but you would also get less when you come to sell it. You might consider buying abroad if you are going the LHD route.

Good point about potentially being cheaper in the UK. I'd considered buying abroad, but working out how much effort it would be to travel to look at motorhomes. Could be worth it though...

Think about what you might need to take to explore any area you stop in.

Thanks Riverbankannie :) This is a good point. I'm a keen cyclist so definitely planning on taking bikes, but that means taking a couple of children's bike seats or trailer which will take up some space!

If you eventually purchase a motorhome with a garage be careful about the weight of the rubbish you'll fill it with.

Thanks jumartoo, I can see that happening. Any available space tends to get filled with something!

A motorhome with bunks may be the best option for you. It was for our friends when their kids were small. You can get a shorter van, ease of parking, etc. but space enough to spend time in.

This does seem like a good option with small children, and Spidey mentioned it as well.

Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
What a lovely idea. Everything what everyone's said above, is great advice.
IMO layout is king. We had a ci mizar gtl living top class when our kids were younger. A 2006 model you can still pick them up.
We've three children. We chose that particular model because of the layout. Having had several caravans in the past , having three children we needed space. We knew what we wanted, plus we got it right first time. Saving thousands.
One thing you will have to watch is the pay load. If you've got kids and are taking bikes and all the other junk that you end up with kids of all ages you'll have to watch out that your not over weight. You two , plus the kids, full tank water, clothes , food , toys soon builds up , weight wise.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, both our licenses are restricted to <=3.5t unless we get C1 licenses,

Given that then the only thing to add to the advice above is to be very very careful about actual vehicle weights.

There are not all that many big 4 berths and even fewer 6 berths that will work at 3.5t. Manufacturer's weight figures have a tendency to be completely made up hopelessly optimistic and dealers will have no hesitation in lying to you about it.

If you find a vehicle that you think might be the right one for you then insist on a new weigh bridge ticket. Arrange it and pay for it yourself if you have to. If the dealer won't do it then that tells you all you need to know. No matter what they tell you don't trust weight figures from any other source.

For a family of four on a long term trip you need to be looking at a payload of 600kg as an absolute minimum, especially if you want to fill the garage with all the crap essentials we all think we can't do without.

Upvote 0

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
My advice would be to buy a decent travel cot, which can be used outside as a play area during the day and set up with a sheet and baby duvet at night for sleeping. We travelled throughout Europe with our two when the youngest was 8 weeks and the older one was 20 months, in a vw camper van. Happy days. Enjoy your trip.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chris Peake

Free Member
Aug 15, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
IMO layout is king. We had a ci mizar gtl living top class when our kids were younger. A 2006 model you can still pick them up.

Thanks Ralph-n-Bev, I found a video which gives a good idea of the layout and I can see how it would work well. Will add it to the list of potentials!

One thing you will have to watch is the pay load. If you've got kids and are taking bikes and all the other junk that you end up with kids of all ages you'll have to watch out that your not over weight. You two , plus the kids, full tank water, clothes , food , toys soon builds up , weight wise.

Agreed, there's going to be some careful adding up to do!

If you find a vehicle that you think might be the right one for you then insist on a new weigh bridge ticket. Arrange it and pay for it yourself if you have to. If the dealer won't do it then that tells you all you need to know. No matter what they tell you don't trust weight figures from any other source.

For a family of four on a long term trip you need to be looking at a payload of 600kg as an absolute minimum, especially if you want to fill the garage with all the crap essentials we all think we can't do without.

Thanks NickNic, this is really useful. I hadn't thought to get a new weigh bridge ticket. And the payload of 600kg makes sense.

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi
Great idea but to live in a van with 2 children and all that you need to carry it might be worth taking the C1 test 3500kg vans would not have the payload. One van I saw that would fit is a Laika A class with bunk beds such as

Good luck (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chris Peake

Free Member
Aug 15, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
My advice would be to buy a decent travel cot, which can be used outside as a play area during the day and set up with a sheet and baby duvet at night for sleeping.

Thanks big map, we've been trying to decide whether we'd need a travel cot for the (to be next May) 13 month old but in all probability we will. Well done fitting it into a VW Camper!

Great idea but to live in a van with 2 children and all that you need to carry it might be worth taking the C1 test 3500kg vans would not have the payload.

Thanks Barclaybasher, I'm starting to get the feeling we might not be able to avoid taking the test. Shame, it's not just the money but the time commitment as well, especially with two small children!

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If I wanted to spend 3 months in a van on my own I would choose the Laika or an A class Hymer but I gave up my C1 licence. My van is a 2 berth coachbuilt 5.5m and still weighs in at 3 tonne. As regards values, if you buy 'right' you might lose nothing or even make a profit.............

(y)

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
If you are going to do your C1 just do the full C license and get an American RV :)

If not maybe look at the cabbunk idea as well. http://www.cabbunk.co.uk/ I have no affiliation with the company.

Also just a reminder that you have used up your free posting allocation and will need to pay a subscription to post any more questions. Paid membership gives you discounts on all sorts of stuff from insurance via AiB to alarm systems and so on - so worth considering apart from the help and advice from us Funsters!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chris Peake

Free Member
Aug 15, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you are going to do your C1 just do the full C license and get an American RV

I hadn't spotted that. In for a penny... I'll speak to a nearby driver training company today and find out what the difference is in terms of cost and time, may well be worth it!

If not maybe look at the cabbunk idea as well.

Really interesting idea. I think the problem with it might be having our adult space in the evening when the kids are in bed but will have a think if there are layouts that would work with this as it's a berth "for free".

Also just a reminder that you have used up your free posting allocation and will need to pay a subscription to post any more questions.

I was wondering why I couldn't post any more, thanks (y)

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
As your babies will be still guite small and it's for only 4 months in warmer climates you will probably only use the van for sleeping and rainy days so a huge van may not be so viable .
Have a trip to a dealer en famille and scrawm all over them and see what suits bunks may not be suitable until age 5 ,as they can sleep top to tail in their own sleeping bags!
Good luck ! We camped with ours even when crawling just popped them into a thin waterproof all in one! Saved really grubby tent and babies!!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi and welcome!
As a childminder, I would not worry too much about the space when it s rainy, as the heat will probably be a worse problem. A 3 years old toddler can be entertained quite easily with little space. It can also be the right day to go shopping and let her run a bit. The little 1 y old might be a bit more difficult. Crawling means a neat floor,they would swallow about anything and learning to walk means turning the gas off as hob is reachable and protect the heater from little hands( and vice versa lol) . Quite a few other things to think of but this is a start. As Anthea said, not a lot of room is required to sleep.
I tend to think it is much more a matter of being creative. One more thing is the dinette seats are not meant for small bodies. You will need adaptated seats....good ones can be fixed directly on the dinette's table.
Amicalement
Frankie :)

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
As your babies will be still guite small and it's for only 4 months in warmer climates you will probably only use the van for sleeping and rainy days so a huge van may not be so viable .
Have a trip to a dealer en famille and scrawm all over them and see what suits bunks may not be suitable until age 5 ,as they can sleep top to tail in their own sleeping bags!
Good luck ! We camped with ours even when crawling just popped them into a thin waterproof all in one! Saved really grubby tent and babies!!
I used to use a small inflated boat as a bed for my son when we were tenting . He was 3 and daughter was 1 . She was comfortably sleeping in her pushchair. No prob and the boat could be used at the beach too. Good rinse in the evening and bed was ready. Easy peasy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Chris Peake

Free Member
Aug 15, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
As your babies will be still guite small and it's for only 4 months in warmer climates you will probably only use the van for sleeping and rainy days so a huge van may not be so viable

Good point, we'd certainly rather be out and about and just have somewhere as a base for sleeping/eating/showering.

Have a trip to a dealer en famille and scrawm all over them and see what suits

We'll definitely do this, will count as a fun day out for our (currently) 2yo!

The little 1 y old might be a bit more difficult. Crawling means a neat floor,they would swallow about anything and learning to walk means turning the gas off as hob is reachable and protect the heater from little hands

Thanks yodeli. We're hoping the 1yo might be starting to walk, so this is good advice.

One more thing is the dinette seats are not meant for small bodies. You will need adaptated seats....good ones can be fixed directly on the dinette's table.

Agreed, we might be able to get away with it for the (to be) 3yo but will definitely need something for the 1yo.

I used to use a small inflated boat as a bed for my son when we were tenting . He was 3 and daughter was 1 . She was comfortably sleeping in her pushchair. No prob and the boat could be used at the beach too. Good rinse in the evening and bed was ready. Easy peasy!

This is a great idea :) We've bought beach inflatables to sleep on while camping before, a boat would definitely work for a little one and has multiple uses.

Upvote 0

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hello and welcome!
@Triple7 is selling a Hymer which may suit have a look on the for sale section
Thanks Anthea for the "shout -out".

All I can add to the other comments is, based on my own relatively recent experience of buying and going on a long trip, that it's the layout which is important rather than the size. It took me a while before I figured that out. Lots of viewings is the best course with the family . Good luck and if your experience is anything like mine you will love it :)

Ps definitely go LHD

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back