Can anyone explain Gearbox Ratio's (1 Viewer)

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
I have a Peugeot Pilote with a 5 speed box.
I recently replaced the 5th gears.
The gears in my box were 33/56 which is 0.59/1.
The only replacements I could get were 35/58 which is 0.60/1 (approximately 3% lower geared).

My question is will I have more torque with the new gears or will it be a longer gear giving a higher top speed.

Maths was never my strongest subject :rolleyes:

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
If it's lower geared you will have a lower top speed and it will feel like you have more torque.

I think o_O

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is higher geared, but it may not mean you will go faster, just very slightly lower revs for the same speed. But the difference in your case is negligible I think, 0.59 versus 0.6 is nothing.

I'm assuming the smaller gear is the input one and it isn't an "overdrive", in which case the reverse* would hold.

*no pun intended!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Should those numbers not be the other way round?
56/33 = 1.69 - 1
58/35 = 1.65 - 1
Your new gears are lower/ shorter which will mean higher revs and the feeling of more power in fifth,though on!y very slightly.
I went from 1.7-1 to 1.54 -1 which made a difference of 800rpm @ 60mph.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Should those numbers not be the other way round?
56/33 = 1.69 - 1
58/35 = 1.65 - 1
Your new gears are lower/ shorter which will mean higher revs and the feeling of more power in fifth,though on!y very slightly.
I went from 1.7-1 to 1.54 -1 which made a difference of 800rpm @ 60mph.
Which was my point, which is the input gear? I know nothing about pug gearboxes but I understand mechanics. :)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Which was my point, which is the input gear? I know nothing about pug gearboxes but I understand mechanics. :)
What do you mean input gear? I think the smaller gear drives the driveshafts.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What do you mean input gear? I think the smaller gear drives the driveshafts.
If that is so, and I have no reason to doubt you, then the arrangement is the opposite of what I thought. By input I meant the gear which is being driven by the engine which in turn drives the gear connected through the final drive the wheels.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No nowt other than old cars always quoted gear ratios for some reason and top was always 1-1 then overdrive started coming in and it got as it was 1-25 or so as I say don't know owt about it other than that but it must have something to do with it.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I don't know why i'm reading this post, I don't understand a word of it :Eeek::blush::confused:

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
If that is so, and I have no reason to doubt you, then the arrangement is the opposite of what I thought. By input I meant the gear which is being driven by the engine which in turn drives the gear connected through the final drive the wheels.
So the gear driven by the engine is the larger.

Help, my brain hurts.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
fiatmmmgear2.jpg

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
No nowt other than old cars always quoted gear ratios for some reason and top was always 1-1 then overdrive started coming in and it got as it was 1-25 or so as I say don't know owt about it other than that but it must have something to do with it.

Yea, as per a bike gearset
Large gear at front driving smaller gears at rear
Each time you change to a smaller gear you change to a higher ratio so less turns of the pedals & more turns of the wheel

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
To answer at least part of the original question it doesn't alter the torque at all as that is a product of the engine characteristics not the gearbox.

On the gearing it looks me to be a slightly lower overdrive, so a few more revs for the same cruising speed.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
To answer at least part of the original question it doesn't alter the torque at all as that is a product of the engine characteristics not the gearbox.

On the gearing it looks me to be a slightly lower overdrive, so a few more revs for the same cruising speed.

Martin
Oops, no, the whole point of the gearbox is to increase the torque at the wheels, the lower the gear the greater the torque. For example, an overall gear ration of 1:2 would double the torque from the engine. Conversely, the higher the gear the lower the torque.

But to answer @stooo 's question - I wouldn't worry too much. The new gears are indeed a slightly lower ratio but the difference is only 2%, so I doubt you will even notice it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oops, no, the whole point of the gearbox is to increase the torque at the wheels, the lower the gear the greater the torque. For example, an overall gear ration of 1:2 would double the torque from the engine. Conversely, the higher the gear the lower the torque.

But to answer @stooo 's question - I wouldn't worry too much. The new gears are indeed a slightly lower ratio but the difference is only 2%, so I doubt you will even notice it.
But the engine produces torque via the combustion process which in turn produces power which is the torque X engine speed, the gearbox's job is to match the engines most efficient operating rev range to the desired road speed. Or that's the way I see it anyway.

Martin

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The ratio of the gear to talc/washing power/Vim that you get for your money is totally dependent on the decency of your supplier/dealer...

If you talk too much about him, he might be upset.

I hope this helps.

JJ :cool:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
But the engine produces torque via the combustion process which in turn produces power which is the torque X engine speed, the gearbox's job is to match the engines most efficient operating rev range to the desired road speed. Or that's the way I see it anyway.

Martin
You are right about torque times revs equals power but the same equation applies at the wheels. So if in a low gear the wheels are turning slowly then the torque at the wheels will be correspondingly higher. It is basically the principal of levers, which is all gears are in a sense. A low gear is like a long lever and the force (torque) it can transmit will be greater. Of course choosing the right gear is also about matching the speed of the engine but torque does not remain constant at the wheels irrespective of the gear chosen.

OP
OP
fred flintstone

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
WOW.. I have been doing puzzles all day and thought this would make a good puzzle question :D
I am not too worried about the difference in the new gears, they are not far from the old ones.
Just wanted to stretch your brains and hopefully learn something at the same time. :giggle:
Thanks for all your interesting replies. As always I am amazed at the knowledge you guys possess. (y)
Best MH forum by far....

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You are right about torque times revs equals power but the same equation applies at the wheels. So if in a low gear the wheels are turning slowly then the torque at the wheels will be correspondingly higher. It is basically the principal of levers, which is all gears are in a sense. A low gear is like a long lever and the force (torque) it can transmit will be greater. Of course choosing the right gear is also about matching the speed of the engine but torque does not remain constant at the wheels irrespective of the gear chosen.
Hi DBK

Yes I will give you that one, I think, it sounds right anyway.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
WOW.. I have been doing puzzles all day and thought this would make a good puzzle question :D
I am not too worried about the difference in the new gears, they are not far from the old ones.
Just wanted to stretch your brains and hopefully learn something at the same time. :giggle:
Thanks for all your interesting replies. As always I am amazed at the knowledge you guys possess. (y)
Best MH forum by far....
Ha Ha you are just a trouble maker(y)

Good to work the little grey cells sometimes.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back