Urgent help please Electric step not working (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Our electric step has stopped working. We need to leave the site in an hour. We are on the ferry tonight as well. We can drive to just outside the campsite and park up.

The step wouldn't retract and now when u press the rocker switch it sounds like it's trying. The step can be pushed in manually but won't stay in. Could it be the fuse? And where would that be? If not would it be all right to try and tie the step up under neath? The warning buzzer may go off in the front cab and not sure what damage we would do.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Remove the fuse and push the step in - that should work.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
When mine went t*ts up this week, it was the little switch on the step itselfnot working. Cleaned it up squirted WD 40 made sure it had a clean connection and bingo it works.
Not the worlds best design....a small pressure switch sprayed with mud and sh*t, not surprising it malfunctions.
Plan B could be remove the step fuse from the van,push the step up and fix with a cable tie or similar.
I have a schaudt Ebl99 electric box and the fuse is on there.

Good luck..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Thanks for the replies. We can tie the step up so hopefully that will get us home. Sorry for sounding stupid but where is the fuse for the step? So many fuses not sure which one. The connection underneath looks clean.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for the replies. We can tie the step up so hopefully that will get us home. Sorry for sounding stupid but where is the fuse for the step? So many fuses not sure which one. The connection underneath looks clean.

Sorry I cant help but you might be able to help others to help you more if you give details of your MH.

Hope you get home safely.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Sorry good point. Hymer tramp cl 554.
Hubby managed to tie it up and stop the buzzing. Dealership going to get an engineer to phone is just in case it's an easy fix.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If the switch on the step is like mine try googling "switch 51840"
Set to images and see if its the same. Its a car courtesy light door switch and less than a fiver but wont come with the rubber boot. Mine was intermotor brand and has www.premier-factors.com on the box. Good luck. Came from ebay....

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
All sorted for the journey home. Step tied up and our dealer phoned us to tell us which wires to pull. This stopped the warning buzzer going off. Will get it fixed properly when home

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back