Fridge wont use any gas! (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Whilst away a couple of weeks ago I noticed on our last day the fridge was not cooling as well. Our gas was getting low and for no real reason i put it down to that! Today I have fitted a new gas cylinder, cleaned and checked the position of the thermocouple cleaned the burner (new last year) Blown the chimney through all to no avail. Runs on mains electric fine ignites as soon as I press the knob on gas but flame goes out immeadiately I let the knob go and of course w go away on Friday! Any ideas of what I can try to fix it?

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
have you checked the jet for crud. if you take it out dont stick anything in the aperture just blow it clear if blocked. if you dont have a clear stream of gas then the thermocouple cant get up to temperature.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes it should be glowing red (y) but it could be the fault. I don't know how you test one other than replacing it.

OP
OP
Forester
May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
jet seemed ok and it lights fine so assume all ok there thermocouple is in flame but will observe colour in the morning thanks all

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Which model of fridge is it? Manual energy selection models from Dometic with a rotary selector switch can suffer from poor contact in the switch for gas operation (the tiny voltage from the thermocouple goes through contacts in that switch, the voltage from the thermocouple is so tiny that any additional resistance will cause the flame to fail when you release the valve. Try giving the energy selector switch a wiggle around the gas setting if it is of that type.

D.

OP
OP
Forester
May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
It's a Thetford Fridge can't see the tip of the thermocouple getting red but it's in the flame run out of ideas tried a couple of local places but no one available to look at it as they are all at Mslvern show !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
jet seemed ok and it lights fine so assume all ok there thermocouple is in flame but will observe colour in the morning thanks all
The T couple will glow red regardless of if its working or not.
You are holding a piece of brass/copper in a flame so what else would you expect.
If the burner lights and stays lit while holding in the button IT IS the Thermocouple at fault.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back