Can motorhome taps clog up due to hard water calfication etc (1 Viewer)

Spacegazer

Free Member
Apr 26, 2013
Kilmarnock
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Whilst the kitchen tap of Burstner Elegance is working great an good pressure, the bathroom one and shower head seem, whilst pressure appears good, to be getting water out of only several holes in the tap an shower head, as if some of the wee holes are blocked...... The other morning I noticed a couple of small bits of yellowy opaque material which came out of the toilet sink tap....... How can I clear tap heads to improve flow????...... Any ideas guys????

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Clean them with some calcium dissolver, cant think of the names, but plenty of branded & non branded stuff in any supermarket (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if the taps are scaled up, then you can be sure that so is the inside of the water heater and probably the pump too

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Vinegar or lemon juice will clear it. I don't even bother with it being white wine vinegar, just ordinary malt vinegar works well enough. Bung a big dose (couple of litres should do it) into your fresh tank and fill up with good clean water. Run it through the system till you can smell vinegar at all taps then fire up the boiler for ten minutes, turn off boiler and leave for an hour or two then restart the boiler for ten minutes then run the hot taps first and finally the cold taps. Turn off your boiler and run all the water out of the system via the taps. Flush and rinse the fresh water system to get rid of vinegar (your nose should tell you when its gone but even if small traces remain its not harmful) and that's it, job done!

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We bought a couple of 5 litre bottle of white white vinegar off EBay to de-scale our Truma boiler
After 24 hours we ran the liquid through each of our taps and the toilet to remove any limescale.
Worked a treat!

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Would I need to do this maintenance on my Van? I've not done it in 10 years.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Would I need to do this maintenance on my Van? I've not done it in 10 years.
is there any sign of limescale in your kettle? if yes, then it would be a good idea every few years. more often if you live in your van and frequently visit hard water areas

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
is there any sign of limescale in your kettle? if yes, then it would be a good idea every few years. more often if you live in your van and frequently visit hard water areas
Thanks you. How many 5 litres of vinegar would I need for a 110 like tank on a mobile. .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
personally i run just 5ltrs of vinegar and 10ltrs of water into the system leave for 12-24hrs then flush

OP
OP
Spacegazer

Spacegazer

Free Member
Apr 26, 2013
Kilmarnock
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Thanks for replies guys...... I'm off work this week, I'll get onto it later today

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
little "mesh", filters, usually in the sink taps and in the shower mixer body, are usually easy to take out and either clean or replace, l seem to remember buying new ones in a French supermarket!
Must be worth a check.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
ok got two 5 l bottles of white vinegar. One person is mentioning switching the boiler on, after a full tank of water? others are saying 5l vinegar to 10l water, and doesnt mention the boiler. Which one is correct? thanks viv

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Its MHF - you don't expect two answers the same do you :rofl:.

If in doubt, start with the weaker solution, and see if that works (y).

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
ok got two 5 l bottles of white vinegar. One person is mentioning switching the boiler on, after a full tank of water? others are saying 5l vinegar to 10l water, and doesnt mention the boiler. Which one is correct? thanks viv
Firstly drain your hot water tank ....empty the fresh water tank.
Add only 5 l of vinegar to the fresh tank with 10 litres of fresh water
Draw it through your water heater and pipe work at all taps
Put on the water heater for 10 mins and leave to cool.
Draw water through the pipes and put heater on again for 10 mins
Leave in the system overnight....drain..........refill water tank and rinse through until you cannot smell the vinegar..............jobs a good un

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Firstly drain your hot water tank ....empty the fresh water tank.
Add only 5 l of vinegar to the fresh tank with 10 litres of fresh water
Draw it through your water heater and pipe work at all taps
Put on the water heater for 10 mins and leave to cool.
Draw water through the pipes and put heater on again for 10 mins
Leave in the system overnight....drain..........refill water tank and rinse through until you cannot smell the vinegar..............jobs a good un

Isn't that pretty much what I said earlier?

D.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Your shower head, being at, I presume the highest point in the system, may be treated separately by either removing said head and submerging it a bucket filled (to cover) with vinegar solution or dropping the shower head complete with pipework into same bucket.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Thanks to all . To drain the hot water heater do I unscrew that nut on the outside . Or is there more to it?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Should be a dump valve - the one which helpfully drains all your hotwater on a cold night :rolleyes:.

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
Should be a dump valve - the one which helpfully drains all your hotwater on a cold night :rolleyes:.
not sure where the dump valve is. I know how to dump the fresh water by opening the tap. When I had a habitation check, they showed me to unscrew a nut on the outside of the airvent by the water heater. a little bit of water shot out. they said to do this and leave all the taps open. is it that outside screw? if not where do I find the dump valve for the water heater? thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back