More than one dog in pet-friendly cabin, Brittany Ferries? (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Has anyone travelled with more than one dog in a pet-friendly cabin?

I've booked a pet-friendly cabin to Santander in Feb. At present, we just have the one dog, but I've heard about a puppy which was to be put down today in a mass slaughtering session in a pound in Cadiz. Luckily, the puppy and it's 2 litter mates were rescued, at the last minute, and we're now considering giving one of them a home.

The BF web site says that the cabins are intended for one dog, and if wishing to travel with more than one, to contact BF. Has anyone done this, and if so, what was the result?

I don't want to put either dog in the on-board kennels. It would be too stressful for our 11-year-old dog, who only has 3 legs, and I certainly don't want to put a rescue puppy through the experience. We've used the kennels before, when our dog was younger, and that was OK, but things are different now.

When we were on the ferry last winter, we saw some people exercising 4 dogs in the area designated to the pet-friendly cabins. If we couldn't take them both in the cabin, I think the only option would be to change to the Caen crossing, as we don't want to drive all the way to Spain from Calais, nor do we want to make the horrendous journey from home to Folkestone/Dover. Portsmouth is so much easier for us.

I would be grateful if someone could share their experiences with me, before I phone BF.

Thanks
Chris

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Brittany Ferries state:
"When travelling to Bilbao or Santander the Cap Finistère is equipped with 17 pet friendly cabins on deck 9. These cabins comfortably accommodate a single pet, however if you are travelling with more than one and wish to discuss your options please call 0330 159 7000 and one of our Reservation agents will be able to help with your arrangements."
I have always found BF very helpful. Give them a call.

Deleted User
I rang them to ask and they wanted to know weight of dogs and type. When I said two small labs they said no straight away, had they been small breeds they would consider, but as labs and at their weight it was no. :(. I said we didn't mind a squash, but I seem to recall there was a weight limit cut off and ours although small for labs were well over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You might be better taking the train, it might be more milage, but at least the dogs will be fine.
I think the pet cages are awful on these ferries. Wouldn't put my dog in one.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I rang them to ask and they wanted to know weight of dogs and type. When I said two small labs they said no straight away, had they been small breeds they would consider, but as labs and at their weight it was no. :(. I said we didn't mind a squash, but I seem to recall there was a weight limit cut off and ours although small for labs were well over.

Yes, maybe you should have used a word other than 'labs'. If you are not risk averse you could take them both and if you each have one dog on a lead the chances are that BF staff on board will not challenge you. Don't quote me :)

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, maybe you should have used a word other than 'labs'. If you are not risk averse you could take them both and if you each have one dog on a lead the chances are that BF staff on board will not challenge you. Don't quote me :)

Well, the potential rescue dog is a small Spaniel. The existing dog is a Dally. May be better if I forget that bit.

I think I'll give BF a ring. They do seem to be a helpful company. We can then make the decision whether to change to Caen. I'm keen to get this puppy, - although my husband, being more sensible, wants to sleep on it and decide tomorrow.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wouldn't worry about the kennels on the ferry, especially for a rescue dog which is probably used to being in a kennel. We've carried two different dogs on the same ferry now and both were perfectly happy when they came off. You do hear some dogs yapping a bit in the kennels but I've not seen a distressed dog yet and you can visit the dogs and take them onto the deck at any time.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
plymouth return is alot shorter ,only 20 hrs .
plus you may be able to leave the dogs in your m,home . if you ask to see the purser or captain once on board . .my dog never used the kennels for a few years once i found out they would allow you to keep the dog in the m,home if you asked . but not on booking . they will or did arrange times you could take them for a walk etc .

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
If the puppy will be carry-able I'd do that. One of you wait somewhere with puppy in arms, one get the cabin key then meander along separately, one dog each. I doubt anyone will challenge you.
Take newspapers or puppy pads, a bin bag or 2 and some wet wipes with you. Put papers down in the shower tray for the dogs and all go to sleep!

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We regularly travel on the Santander ferry with our 2 dogs. We always have to phone them to book the pet friendly cabin and we are asked about size and breeds of the dogs. We tell them honestly that we have a Labrador (30kgs) and a miniature labradoodle (13kgs). I think provided you aren't travelling with 2 large dogs, they are quite happy to allow 2 in the cabin. I would stress that the second dog is of 'small' breed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back